Posted By
paul
Apr 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I ran across this software download site: www.adobesoftwareonline.com

Anyone know what’s the catch? Looks too good to be true.

Paul Cowan
www.iconix.biz

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

I
Information
Apr 30, 2004
Paul

I assume you can call ADOBE and ask them if they are a legitimate re-seller. My money is they are NOT

"Paul @ Iconix" wrote in message
: I ran across this software download site: www.adobesoftwareonline.com :
: Anyone know what’s the catch? Looks too good to be true. :
: —
: Paul Cowan
: www.iconix.biz
:
:
:
CG
Colin G Edwards
Apr 30, 2004
Paul @ Iconix wrote:

You’re kidding, right? Look even vaguely closely and you can see the whole thing is a con. Just check the on site FAQ. The first sentence:

"If anything on this site is illegal in any way, shape, or form, then we are unaware of it."

If that doesn’t warn you that you’re dealing with an amateur conman, then the first question should:

"1.) How can we offer these prices? When you order a program from us you only receive the back-up full version program, you will not receive manuals, boxes, etc."

Interestingly, the whois entry for the domain appears to hold a valid US postal address. The owner of the domain is said to be one Tim Dunaway, and the email address in the site’s FAQ is You don’t
suppose he’s used his real name and address in his whois entry for a pirate software website do you?
H
Hecate
May 1, 2004
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:18:44 -0700, "Paul @ Iconix" wrote:

1. We had this discussion in alt.graphics.photoshop a while back.
2. If it looks too good to be true…

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
JW
JP White
May 1, 2004
Derek Fountain wrote:

Interestingly, the whois entry for the domain appears to hold a valid US postal address. The owner of the domain is said to be one Tim Dunaway, and the email address in the site’s FAQ is You don’t
suppose he’s used his real name and address in his whois entry for a pirate software website do you?

Ha!

If the registration is genuine then he’s destined for the ‘America’s dumbest criminals’ hall of fame.

More likely the name and address are of someone he hates 🙁

JP
TF
Tom F
May 1, 2004
The site is not at all secured. After checkout, at the page where you would put your credit card #, it says on the bottom "This is a secured page", but no SSL icon is apparent on IE’s status bar. It does not have a certificate.

"Paul @ Iconix" wrote in message | I ran across this software download site: www.adobesoftwareonline.com |
| Anyone know what’s the catch? Looks too good to be true. |
| —
| Paul Cowan
| www.iconix.biz
|
|
|
I
Information
May 1, 2004
I sent to Adobe the website

"Tom F" wrote in message
: The site is not at all secured. After checkout, at the page where : you would put your credit card #, it says on the bottom "This is a secured page",
: but no SSL icon is apparent on IE’s status bar. It does not have a certificate.
:
:
: "Paul @ Iconix" wrote in message
: | I ran across this software download site: www.adobesoftwareonline.com : |
: | Anyone know what’s the catch? Looks too good to be true. : |
: | —
: | Paul Cowan
: | www.iconix.biz
: |
:
:
S
Si
May 1, 2004
"Hecate" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:18:44 -0700, "Paul @ Iconix" wrote:

1. We had this discussion in alt.graphics.photoshop a while back.
2. If it looks too good to be true…

Looks ENTIRELY illegal to me. You are obviously d/loading the same copy (and serial) as many others would potentially be doing surely?

Si.

Si.
T
Tack
May 8, 2004
As it says in the FAQ

"You understand that in order for AdobeSoftwareOnline.com to make you a copy of any software, you acknowledge that you are the legal owner of this same software, and are looking to just make a new copy for archival (backup) purposes only."

i.e. you STATE that you ALREADY have the software and for the paltry sum of $140 (say) they will send you a back-up of the software you already have ( as opposed to spending 45 cents and copying the cd your-self – well ok I know it doesn’t work but ya know what I mean…). It appears to be their attempt to avoid piracy prosecution. In essence – the letter of the law obeyed but surely the spirit contravened. I would guess that a good lawyer could rapidly demolish this "protection" they are seeking for them selves – GO ADOBE 🙂 🙂

"Paul @ Iconix" wrote in message

Paul Cowan
www.iconix.biz

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections