Posted By
hildebrantfamily
Sep 17, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Group,

I have a 8X10 picture that I want to display with a 100 % Zoom setting.

When I select "fit to screen" and have rulers shown…the 8X10 picture looks O.K. but the zoom setting on the bottom left is around 26 %. I am using a 19 inch LCD monitor.

When I set the zoom setting to 100 % ( I want to see the actual screen when I sharpen), the rulers grow very large in size and I see only a small part on the screen.

I want the rulers and the picture to fit on the screen when I use a 100 % setting. How ?

Marc

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

J
JD
Sep 18, 2007
wrote:
Group,

When I select "fit to screen" and have rulers shown…the 8X10 picture looks O.K. but the zoom setting on the bottom left is around 26 %. I am using a 19 inch LCD monitor.

When I set the zoom setting to 100 % ( I want to see the actual screen when I sharpen), the rulers grow very large in size and I see only a small part on the screen.

I want the rulers and the picture to fit on the screen when I use a 100 % setting. How ?

Marc
I don’t know if you’ll get there.
I’m running Elements 3, I have a 19 inch monitor.
Setting my zoom to 31% gets my rulers displaying 1 inch in "real life", that is if I stuck a ruler up to the screen, 1 inch Elements ruler matches 1 inch of that "real ruler".

Now, on my 19 inch monitor a 8 x 10 in LANDSCAPE will fit by adjusting the size of the right hand layer menu (making it smaller) and squeezing down the thumnail view at the bottom (or go into general preferences and turn on Photo bin auto-hide).

No adjustment will get an 8 x 10 in Portrait to display in "real life size" on my 19" screen.

JD
MJ
Michael J Davis
Sep 18, 2007
JD opined
wrote:
Group,
When I select "fit to screen" and have rulers shown…the 8X10 picture
looks O.K. but the zoom setting on the bottom left is around 26 %. I am using a 19 inch LCD monitor.
When I set the zoom setting to 100 % ( I want to see the actual screen
when I sharpen), the rulers grow very large in size and I see only a small part on the screen.
Marc
I don’t know if you’ll get there.
I’m running Elements 3, I have a 19 inch monitor.
Setting my zoom to 31% gets my rulers displaying 1 inch in "real life", that is if I stuck a ruler up to the screen, 1 inch Elements ruler matches 1 inch of that "real ruler".

Now, on my 19 inch monitor a 8 x 10 in LANDSCAPE will fit by adjusting the size of the right hand layer menu (making it smaller) and squeezing down the thumnail view at the bottom (or go into general preferences and turn on Photo bin auto-hide).

No adjustment will get an 8 x 10 in Portrait to display in "real life size" on my 19" screen.

My Elements is on a different compter, so I can’t check this here, but surely, if you adjust the image size to the appropriate number of dpi, about 4x the number currently shown for the OP, then the 100% Print size will be OK?

Mike

[The reply-to address is valid for 30 days from this posting] —
Michael J Davis

Pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/watchman/
<><
For this is what the Lord has said to me,
"Go and post a Watchman and let
him report what he sees." Isa 21:6
<><
H
hildebrantfamily
Sep 19, 2007
My Elements is on a different compter, so I can’t check this here, but surely, if you adjust the image size to the appropriate number of dpi, about 4x the number currently shown for the OP, then the 100% Print size will be OK?

Mike

Michael J Davis

Pictures athttp://www.flickr.com/photos/watchman/
<><
<><- Hide quoted text –

– Show quoted text –

Thanks for the info. Being new to Elements, could you add more info regarding adjustment of image to a certian dpi and the "OP" setting ?

Marc
J
JD
Sep 19, 2007
wrote:

Mike

Michael J Davis

Pictures athttp://www.flickr.com/photos/watchman/
<><
<><- Hide quoted text –

– Show quoted text –

Thanks for the info. Being new to Elements, could you add more info regarding adjustment of image to a certian dpi and the "OP" setting ?
Marc
Marc,
I too am mystified by what OP is, unless it translates to "Original Poster", which is you.

My take on your situation is that you want to type in 100% on the zoom entry and get a 8 x 10 shown in a 1 to 1 scale (that is 8 by 10 inches) on your screen with the ruler to match.

First, what is Elements doing when it shows 100%? To be honest, I am clueless. The 100% setting is the same as punching the Actual Pixels button in the zoom tools. Selecting either gives me a screen that is showing a 3 1/2 inch horizontal by 2 3/4 vertical area of the picture. As I posted earlier, the amount of the picture shown will be limited by the work area on the screen.

So here’s my GUESS at what the 100% / Actual Pixels is doing for me: I scan my 35mm pictures (negatives / slides) at 3200 Lines Per Inch, with the intent of printing at 300 Dots Per Inch. My scans end up in the 10 x 15 inch range. When I change the ruler to display Pixels rather than Inches that 3 1/2 inch by 2 3/4 inch view now becomes a 1030 by 850 pixel area. Divide those numbers by 300 (my printing resolution) and you get in the ballpark of the ruler set in inches.

I don’t think there is a setting that can be adjusted to allow you to punch in 100% and make a 8 x 10 picture fit on the screen.

1. As I metioned before, the work area on my 19 inch monitor could be manipulated to show 8 x 10 in real size, but only for landscape, not portrait. And for my 10 x 15 inches, it obviously needs to be shrunk to less than life size for it to fit on the screen.

2. If you are trying to guage what the picture would look like in real size when printed, I again suggest simply adjusting the zoom size % entry to the appropriate value. What is that value – depends on the size of the picture to begin with. As I stated before, my scans give about a 10 x 15 inch picture. Setting the zoom to 31% gets to that "real life" size on the screen. Your 8 x 10 picture will take a different zoom % to make it "real life" size on the screen.

JD
MJ
Michael J Davis
Sep 20, 2007
opined

I tried to dash off a helpful reply while at work. You are the ‘OP’ (original poster) and said….

*********************************************************** I have a 8X10 picture that I want to display with a 100 % Zoom setting.

Sorry – I thought I knew! I thought that it was just a matter of adjusting the scaling, but frankly PSE has defeated me! I worked through the procedure – and tried to adjust the defaults – but neither achieved the result you want.

Frankly, the reason why I hadn’t noticed before is because all that matters to me is the quality of the image and the final print dimensions. So the magnification relative to the rulers isn’t significant.

I think it may be a bug in PSE or something I’m totally misunderstanding!

Feel free to look through what I’d written – you may find something I can’t….

I’ll take you through it on my copy of PSE5 (It’s the same in other versions) my sizes may vary but I’ll replicate what I would do. (Actually I don’t bother because I adjust the size on printing anyway, so it doesn’t matter what is 100% on the screen!)

1. What do you mean by an ‘8 x 10’ picture? This doesn’t mean anything to PSE – all PSE is concerned about is pixels.

2. PSE uses the dpi figure to convert the pixels into print sizes.

3. Adjusting the dpi figure gives you the final print size from the number of pixels you have.

However, open an image in PSE.

My image (portrait) opens at 38in x 58.67in at 72ppi and is showing 23.93% scale.

Go to Image | Resize | Image Size (or Alt – Ctrl – I)

UNCHECK ‘Resample Image’ very important, we are not changing the image!! Ensure ‘Constrain proportions’ is checked.

Put 10" in the dimension box you want. In my case this is vertical height. Note how the other dimension and the ppi boxes change (in my case to 7.5" and 364.8 ppi.

When you return to the View | Print Size, it just shows ‘large’ inch measurements on the rulers and the same 23.93 scale!! Arrrrgh!

An aside – it’s true that one only learns things when teaching others – I went to Edit | Preferences | Units & Rulers to show you how to get the image up first.
I then saved the file, but – even after closing and opening the program – it shows print resolution 300 pixel/in, and screen resolution 300 pixels / inch. But as soon as I open an image file I get screen resolution 300 pixels / inch and print resolution 72 pixels per inch. I don’t know why – anyone care to help *ME*?!!

So sorry. I don’t know either…… ;-(

Mike

Michael J Davis

Pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/watchman/
<><
<><

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections