TT
Posted By
Tony Tee
Dec 11, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
OK I’ve cured my ‘blue dots around the edges’ by installing the latest video drivers for my machine, due to the helpful advice of Toobi-Won Kenobi.

Thanks for that.

Now I have another problem…

All the colours of the pics I open in Photoshop are awful, totally over-rich, with faces that look orange in colour. (Even though the pics I see on the net/other applications are fine)

FYI I’m using WinXP, Photoshop7, and a 15" flat screen (LCD I believe) its thin/flat anyway not the oldskool style.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

TK
Toobi-Won Kenobi
Dec 11, 2007
"Tony Tee" wrote in message
OK I’ve cured my ‘blue dots around the edges’ by installing the latest video drivers for my machine, due to the helpful advice of Toobi-Won Kenobi.

Thanks for that.

All the colours of the pics I open in Photoshop are awful, totally over-rich, with faces that look orange in colour. (Even though the pics I see on the net/other applications are fine)

FYI I’m using WinXP, Photoshop7, and a 15" flat screen (LCD I believe) its thin/flat anyway not the oldskool style.

Hello Tony,

Glad to hear the dots have gone, it’s pink elephants with me. If you profiled your monitor using the old video drivers, you will need to reprofile with the new ones.
If you have never profiled your monitor and your prints are OK, you have been fortunate.
PS is a colour managed application, others are not. Some bedside reading for you http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps8_colour/ps8_1.htm

Regards
TWK
TT
Tony Tee
Dec 12, 2007
Thanks,

2 hours of fiddling with the monitor calibration and its still not perfect. I’ve had to ignore the picture requests and just fiddle with the settings until I find a decent compromise between the pics i open in Photoshop and the pics i see online and in paintshop pro.

The very first picture request which says Adjust the slider until the inner grey square blends with the outer frame, squinting slightly can help. Finally, deselect the View Single Gamma checkbox.
is very confusing as I have to set it on the very lowest setting possible to get it to blend in like it asks. Same with the colour gamma ones when I untick it too. The final result I end up with by following the instructions are riddiculous. And I used all the usual settings such as 6500daylight and P22-EBU.

Tony

"Toobi-Won Kenobi" <Toobi-won > wrote in message

Thanks for that.

Hello Tony,

Glad to hear the dots have gone, it’s pink elephants with me. If you profiled your monitor using the old video drivers, you will need to reprofile with the new ones.
If you have never profiled your monitor and your prints are OK, you have been fortunate.
PS is a colour managed application, others are not. Some bedside reading for you http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps8_colour/ps8_1.htm
Regards
TWK
TK
Toobi-Won Kenobi
Dec 12, 2007
Thanks,

2 hours of fiddling with the monitor calibration and its still not perfect. I’ve had to ignore the picture requests and just fiddle with the settings until I find a decent compromise between the pics i open in Photoshop and the pics i see online and in paintshop pro.
The very first picture request which says Adjust the slider until the inner grey square blends with the outer frame, squinting slightly can help. Finally, deselect the View Single Gamma checkbox.
is very confusing as I have to set it on the very lowest setting possible to get it to blend in like it asks. Same with the colour gamma ones when I untick it too. The final result I end up with by following the instructions are riddiculous. And I used all the usual settings such as 6500daylight and P22-EBU.

Tony
Tony,

LCD monitors are not the easiest of displays to calibrate with AdobeGamma as the "cheaper" ones lack the necessary controls found on even the cheapest of CRT monitors.
There are software calibration utilities out there that are supposed to do the job better than AG but the only way to guarantee colour calibration is with a hardware device. Spyder, Gretag Macbeth etc. Did you read the articles on the link?

TWK
"Toobi-Won Kenobi" <Toobi-won > wrote in message

Thanks for that.

Hello Tony,

Regards
TWK

N
NoSpam
Dec 12, 2007
OK I’ve cured my ‘blue dots around the edges’ by installing the latest
video
drivers for my machine, due to the helpful advice of Toobi-Won Kenobi.
Thanks for that.

It is difficult to provide an opinion from a distance without knowing much or
anything about the details of your setup.

Let me therefore offer my recent experience with setting up a new LCD display.
Mine is a Samsung 275T. There was no problem with gross failures of color rendition or other parameters, such as resolution, size of display etc out of the.
box. I calibrated the monitor with SpyderPro2 which I got at sale price on Amazon. The results were, in terms of what you are reporting, minor adjustments.
Remarkable is: Use of the monitor for precise rendition of color must occur in
quite a dark room, against a dark background. The image intensity is very low
unlike that usually used in stores or that which can be chosen by monitor buildt-
in settings for movies, sports and text. In the case of the Mitsubishi 275T the on-
screen display adjustments are complex and must be understood before one can use the monitor properly. I spend some time studying them in detail and making a
checklist.

If you do not wish to try a spyder, there usually is a way to adjust the monitor
through its video card, by going to start, settings, control panel, display, settings,
advanced and then finding the page where one can do a lot of adjustment for color, gamma etc. The exact path and setup differs from video card to video card.
One must find one’s way. On prior occasions I have discovered that using a good picture and adjusting it for a pleasing presentation on screen is useful, unless
high precision is required..

Greetings
GR.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections