W
Posted By
wingspar
Dec 11, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I do all my shooting in sRGB I. I’m new to Photoshop, but not digital photo processing. I just processed a photo shot in RAW. I processed in ACR, then did the crop and finished the editing in CS3, saving as a tif for printing. When I print the photo up in Qimage (my printing program) at the end of the file info is *Adobe RGB 1998*. Where did that come from?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Buko
Dec 11, 2007
RAW files are not sRGB or any other flavor of RGB.

when you opened the RAW file and it was converted to an image CAmera RAW was set to make it Adobe RGB.
W
wingspar
Dec 11, 2007
Is there a way around this? Most of my stuff is for the web, and saved as a jpg when I’m done, and I certainly don’t want Adobe RGB 1998 for that.
AD
Andrei_Doubrovski
Dec 11, 2007
Hello,
Check your color settings (Edit > Color Settings).
Perhaps, your Photoshop silently converts all opened images to Adobe RGB.
RG
Rags Gardner
Dec 11, 2007
Wingspar,

ACR remembers the last used size and profile. Open one in sRGB and you should be ok unless it gets changed again. Andrei also gave good advice. If your default work space is aRGB and your options are set to convert to that when opened you would see similar behavior.

Cheers, Rags 🙂
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 11, 2007
You are better off saving as Adobe RGB then converting to sRGB when you save for web.

You also want to consider saving as tiff as well for printing.
W
wingspar
Dec 11, 2007
Edit > Color Settings is set to sRGB IEC61966-2.1. I found this, and set it to sRGB when I first installed CS2.

Also, at the top of the Color Settings Window, is “Settings:” with a drop down box. I’ve never understood this. I just left it as it was when I installed CS3, which is “North America General Purpose 2". In the drop down menu there is an option for “Monitor Color”. Should I be using that? I keep my monitor calibrated with a Monaco unit.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Dec 11, 2007
If you open a RAW file, it opens in the Adobe Camera Raw dialog. Since RAW files are not in a particular color space (they are a representation of the original sensor data), you get to pick a color space for the output. Down at the bottom of the ACR dialog is a line that is underlined listing the color space, bit depth, and size at which it will be output. Click on this to get the "workflow options" dialog. You should pick the sRGB color space and 8 bit depth. This will remain the default option the next time you use ACR.
W
wingspar
Dec 11, 2007
Michael,

Thank you for that. I had no idea that was there. aRGB is probably fine for when I’m printing, but I do use ACR for editing jpg images sometimes. I just opened a jpg image in ACR, and it came up aRGB. So, now I know that is there, and learned a valuable lesson tonight. Thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections