U
Posted By
u235bomb
Jun 25, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Twice in my career, I.ve had a quarrel with somebody over what a colour is. I mean "that’s not lilac/violet/mauve – that’s purple/amethyst/orchid you ignorant pleb!"
So then I wonder are there recognised standard definitions of these common colour names? And if so, who publishes a chart of these colours?"

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RG
Roy G
Jun 25, 2007
wrote in message
Twice in my career, I.ve had a quarrel with somebody over what a colour is. I mean "that’s not lilac/violet/mauve – that’s purple/amethyst/orchid you ignorant pleb!"
So then I wonder are there recognised standard definitions of these common colour names? And if so, who publishes a chart of these colours?"

Hi.

I don’t know about names, but www.pantone.com probably has more information than you could ever need.

Roy G
C
Charles
Jun 25, 2007
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 01:51:43 -0700, wrote:

One such is here:

http://www.crescentbloom.com/I/B/B/17.htm

or a whole list of them here:

http://tx4.us/moacolor.htm
PF
Pat Farrell
Jun 26, 2007
If you’re like me, you don’t even need a chart! The standard colours for me are: (1) most bright blues,
(2) most bright reds, (3) most bright yellows, and (4) everything else.

When one has a well developed RG colour-blindness, such as I have, everything just collapses into multiple
shades of "dunno". Simplicity itself! 🙂

Cheers, Pat

wrote in message
JS
James Silverton
Jun 27, 2007
Roy wrote on Mon, 25 Jun 2007 23:16:11 GMT:

RG> wrote in message
RG>
??>> Twice in my career, I.ve had a quarrel with somebody over ??>> what a colour is. I mean "that’s not lilac/violet/mauve – ??>> that’s purple/amethyst/orchid you ignorant pleb!" ??>> So then I wonder are there recognised standard definitions ??>> of these common colour names? And if so, who publishes a ??>> chart of these colours?"
??>>
RG> Hi.

RG> I don’t know about names, but www.pantone.com probably has RG> more information than you could ever need.

It is difficult to get agreement because of individual
sensitivity. I’ve had lots of arguments over "pure red" which to me has a hint of orange. On the other hand, what I would call "pure red" looks purplish to some 🙂

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections