Posted By
pashy rashy
Sep 9, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
hello

i’m trying to save a 100×300 pixel image for the web. i use the "save for web" option. my problem is: when i use png 24 bit, there is a greenish blue tint that shows up in IE where the transparent background should be.

when i use the png 8 bit, this problem is gone, but the quality is not something i can work with. GIF is also out of the question for different reasons.

was wondering if there is a way to use the png 24 and not have the bluish tint show up in IE.

also if you guys have any tips or suggestions for a noob, please state them.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Bobocito
Sep 9, 2003
You can get some idea by searching your favorite engine, using… png hack IE.
and…
http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/
Sorry for the "look it up" reply.
As far as tips and suggestions, ask away in any area, and don’t spare the specificity.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 9, 2003
PNG-24 supports transparency. Photoshop will read it. That’s about it. IE supports transparency with the above link, but unless all your visitors install that little "fix", they will see the greenish tint. If you MUST have transparency on the web, your only option is GIF. If GIF doesn’t work for you, then make it a JPG with a matching background color.

I always recommend matching background color over transparency; you’re better off in 90% + of the circumstances.
RH
r_harvey
Sep 9, 2003
PNG was created because GIF is proprietary and old, has no progressive transparency, and is limited to 256 colors. For most Web purposes, that’s fine–and an 8-bit (256 color) GIF will be smaller than a 24-bit PNG… and often smaller than an 8-bit PNG. Besides more colors, PNG is supposed to offer better compression than GIF, but side-by-side comparisons of equivalent images show little difference.

The final remaining disadvantage of GIF was that it was patented; the patent expired on June 20.

Just about every browser ever made, except for DOSLYNX, supports GIF. For low-bandwidth Web use, the PNG advantage is mostly illusory.
TH
Tina Hayes
Sep 9, 2003
IE doesn’t support png transparancy. It’s the only browser that does not support it.

It’s a ahame that the one browser that the majority uses (and I can’t understand why), doesn’t support something that would be so useful.
PR
pashy rashy
Sep 12, 2003
wow thanks a bunch guys. you all have been very helpful. now i know exactly what the problem is and how to get around it.
TM
Trevor Morris
Sep 12, 2003
To achieve cross-browser translucency, read this excellent article:

Cross-Browser Variable Opacity with PNG <http://www.alistapart.com/stories/pngopacity/> – A Real Solution by Michael Lovitt

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections