S
Posted By
steve
Feb 28, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have PSE 5.0 When I import pictures it keeps starting the pictures off at 001. Other programs I have used can be set to keep the numbering from where it left off. eg last import finished at Mypics-123 then the new import starts off at something-124. I cant see this option. Can it be set that you know of?

Thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

GA
Gerry Atrick
Feb 28, 2007
"steve" wrote in message
I have PSE 5.0 When I import pictures it keeps starting the pictures off at 001. Other programs I have used can be set to keep the numbering from where it left off. eg last import finished at Mypics-123 then the new import starts off at something-124. I cant see this option. Can it be set that you know of?

Thanks
Hi Steve. I am not quite sure I understand your problem yet. Could you set out the steps you are going through to "import". Are you sure the numbering is being attributed by PSE 5 and not by your camera?

Gerry
S
steve
Mar 1, 2007
Well when I put in my memory card the Elements opens the downloader screen.
On the right hand side there are a few options.
I get options of where to put the files, or if I want to create a folder
I get options of renaming the files in a drop down box, but NONE of the options in this box has any Numbering options they are all custom_name and then prepend or postpend the date in various formats. I choose "Custom Name" only.
Under that there is a box to put in your custom name eg WinterScenes then under that it shows what it will look like with the numbering scheme. eg winterscene_0001

But I dont see anywhere where I can either keep track of the last numbers that I downloaded / left off or even the ability to change the number from its defalut starting point 0001 to 2123 for the next pictures to begin with. Every time I start a new download it starts at 0001 again. Often I want to put multiple downloads into the same directory with the same custom name. eg Sky_001 Sky_002. But if they all keep being named the same I have to use some other program to reaname them in sycronous numbers.

Regards
GA
Gerry Atrick
Mar 2, 2007
"steve" wrote in message
Well when I put in my memory card the Elements opens the downloader screen.
On the right hand side there are a few options.
I get options of where to put the files, or if I want to create a folder
I get options of renaming the files in a drop down box, but NONE of the options in this box has any Numbering options they are all custom_name and then prepend or postpend the date in various formats. I choose "Custom Name" only.
Under that there is a box to put in your custom name eg WinterScenes then under that it shows what it will look like with the numbering scheme. eg winterscene_0001

But I dont see anywhere where I can either keep track of the last numbers that I downloaded / left off or even the ability to change the number from its defalut starting point 0001 to 2123 for the next pictures to begin with. Every time I start a new download it starts at 0001 again. Often I want to put multiple downloads into the same directory with the same custom name. eg Sky_001 Sky_002. But if they all keep being named the same I have to use some other program to reaname them in sycronous numbers.

Regards

See what you mean Steve – and like you I cannot find an option for what you want. The nearest i can come is to say that my camera has a feature that allows number sequence to be ON or OFF – ie numbers can follow on from previous value if a new folder is opened or new memory card inserted. I know that is probably of no use to you.

Gerry
S
steve
Mar 2, 2007
Thanks at least Im not nuts. It seems dumb. My chepo Picture project that came with my Nikon camera can do it. But this software cannot. It means that I will have to use the Nikon software to import it first then use Elements to edit. An added step. When I did it the first time in Elements I had to take about 1/2 an hour to delete it all then import into Picture perfect then close it and import again into Elements. I sometimes wonder how software writers can miss such a basic thing??

Regards.
GA
Gerry Atrick
Mar 2, 2007
"steve" wrote in message
Thanks at least Im not nuts. It seems dumb. My chepo Picture project that came with my Nikon camera can do it. But this software cannot. It means that I will have to use the Nikon software to import it first then use Elements to edit. An added step. When I did it the first time in Elements I had to take about 1/2 an hour to delete it all then import into Picture perfect then close it and import again into Elements. I sometimes wonder how software writers can miss such a basic thing??

Regards.

If you are using Windows XP, the only thing I can think of, (but it does not really do what you want), is to use the feature that allows you to rename multiple files. For example if you import a hundred files from your camera to a folder you can then rename the first file using whatever name you please, and Windows will automatically rename the others adding a numerical suffix. For example if you call the first file MyPic (1).jpg (note the brackets have to be there!!), then the remaining files will be MyPic (2).jpg, MyPic (3).jpg etc. up to MyPic (100).jpg Next time you import a batch of files, rename the first one MyPic (101).jpg then the rest follow in line.

Hope this is clear.

Gerry
R
Rick
Mar 2, 2007
"Gerry Atrick" wrote in message
"steve" wrote in message

Regards.

If you are using Windows XP, the only thing I can think of, (but it does not
really do what you want), is to use the feature that allows you to rename multiple files. For example if you import a hundred files from your camera to
a folder you can then rename the first file using whatever name you please, and Windows will automatically rename the others adding a numerical suffix. For example if you call the first file MyPic (1).jpg (note the brackets have to be there!!), then the remaining files will be MyPic (2).jpg, MyPic (3).jpg etc. up to MyPic (100).jpg Next time you import a batch of files, rename the first one MyPic (101).jpg then the rest follow in line.

Hope this is clear.

Gerry

Hi guys, have you tried asking in the adobe.photoshopelements group, I have been scanning it for weeks and there are some people there who know the programme very well.
Just a thought

DF
Don F
Mar 2, 2007
"margaret hunter" wrote in message
Hi guys, have you tried asking in the adobe.photoshopelements group, I have been scanning it for weeks and there are some people there who know the programme very well.
Just a thought

R
Rick
Mar 2, 2007
"Don Farias" wrote in message
"margaret hunter" wrote in message
Just a thought

RG
Roy G
Mar 3, 2007
"steve" wrote in message

Thanks
Hi

I can’t understand why anyone would want, or need, to use any program to download image files from a camera or card.

Just drag or copy from the Camera, or even better a Card Reader, into whatever folder you like on your HDD.

They then arrive named exactly as they were in the Camera. Dead simple.

Roy G
DF
Don F
Mar 4, 2007
"Roy G" wrote in message
I can’t understand why anyone would want, or need, to use any program to download image files from a camera or card.

Just drag or copy from the Camera, or even better a Card Reader, into whatever folder you like on your HDD.

Roy G
——————–

I agree, Roy. I always use a card reader. Fast … and will save battery power if that is a problem.
I don’t know of a faster, simpler method to use.
Don F
GA
Gerry Atrick
Mar 4, 2007
"Roy G" wrote in message
"steve" wrote in message

Thanks
Hi

Roy G
Thanks Roy – but how does this answer the original question? How can the files downloaded from camera or card (which usualy have a name something like DSC0001.jpg) be saved so as to comply with the users naming & numbering sequence? I know my answer was not the most elegant.

Gerry
RG
Roy G
Mar 4, 2007
"Roy G" wrote in message
"steve" wrote in message
Hi

Roy G
Thanks Roy – but how does this answer the original question? How can the files downloaded from camera or card (which usualy have a name something like DSC0001.jpg) be saved so as to comply with the users naming & numbering sequence? I know my answer was not the most elegant.
Gerry
If the Camera is set to number in continuous mode, then the files will come across in a continuous numerical sequence.

Ok they will be called DSC 0001 – 0002 etc, instead of MyPics (or whatever) 0001 – 0002 etc. But they will be in the correct numerical sequence.

I don’t have any problem about keeping my files with the Camera allocated Name "DSC". When I want a copy of one from the archive folders for editing, I can "Save As" and give any name I choose.

Roy G
RG
Roy G
Mar 4, 2007
"Roy G" wrote in message
"Roy G" wrote in message
"steve" wrote in message
Hi

Roy G
Gerry
If the Camera is set to number in continuous mode, then the files will come across in a continuous numerical sequence.

Ok they will be called DSC 0001 – 0002 etc, instead of MyPics (or whatever) 0001 – 0002 etc. But they will be in the correct numerical sequence.

I don’t have any problem about keeping my files with the Camera allocated Name "DSC". When I want a copy of one from the archive folders for editing, I can "Save As" and give any name I choose.
Roy G

I should have said, setting the Camera Menu so that it numbers in Continous is the most important thing. Every Camera, (bar one old Fuji), I have ever handled can number Continuously, IF set to do so.

Roy G
GA
Gerry Atrick
Mar 4, 2007
"Roy G" wrote in message
"Roy G" wrote in message
"Roy G" wrote in message
"steve" wrote in message
Hi

Roy G

Gerry

Roy G

I should have said, setting the Camera Menu so that it numbers in Continous is the most important thing. Every Camera, (bar one old Fuji), I have ever handled can number Continuously, IF set to do so.

Roy G
Thanks for the clarification Roy. Appreciated.

Gerry
SH
Stephan Hoffmann
Mar 8, 2007
Gerry Atrick wrote:

See what you mean Steve – and like you I cannot find an option for what you
want. The nearest i can come is to say that my camera has a feature that allows number sequence to be ON or OFF – ie numbers can follow on from previous value
if a new folder is opened or new memory card inserted. I know that is probably of no use to you.

Gerry

Why rename? Wouldn’t it be enough to put them in a folder named XYZ instead of renaming each picture to XYZnnnn, where nnnn is the number you want?

Getting the number right is a camera setting, as others have already explained in this thread.

Stephan

PS: I just started using Photoshop Elements 5.0. I was surprised when the import dialog popped up… but it was easy to disable.
EB
Eric Bloch
Mar 28, 2007
Look at http://rename.lupasfreeware.org/lupasrename.php

A free and flexible renaming/renumbering program

Eric

"steve" wrote in message

Thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections