M
Posted By
MaxB
Feb 20, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am running PSe 3 and use a Mustek Bearpaw 4800 scanner. Both work fine alone and, until recently, Photoshop could happily acquire scans from the scanner. Now, as soon as I click on "preview", the scanner starts and then the PS screen flashes up "out of memory".

It looks like something is clashing: can anyone suggest what it might be, or where I should look, or even better how to overcome the problem?

I use XP Pro with 1.5Gb RAM so I don’t think that the message really means what it says!

Thanks.

MaxB

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

M
MaxB
Feb 22, 2007
"MaxB" wrote in message
I am running PSe 3 and use a Mustek Bearpaw 4800 scanner. Both work fine alone and, until recently, Photoshop could happily acquire scans from the scanner. Now, as soon as I click on "preview", the scanner starts and then the PS screen flashes up "out of memory".

It looks like something is clashing: can anyone suggest what it might be, or where I should look, or even better how to overcome the problem?
I use XP Pro with 1.5Gb RAM so I don’t think that the message really means what it says!

Thanks.

MaxB
*** correction ***

The message is actually " ! Insufficient Memory " .
SK
Steve Koterski
Feb 22, 2007
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 08:03:03 -0000, "MaxB"
wrote:

"MaxB" wrote in message

Thanks.

MaxB
*** correction ***

I don’t have the answer to your question. But I would ask: How much disk space is free on the hard drive you boot from?

The memory referred to in the error could be virtual memory, as opposed to RAM.
M
MaxB
Feb 23, 2007
"Steve Koterski" wrote in message
wrote:

"MaxB" wrote in message
I am running PSe 3 and use a Mustek Bearpaw 4800 scanner. Both work fine alone and, until recently, Photoshop could happily acquire scans from the scanner. Now, as soon as I click on "preview", the scanner starts and then
the PS screen flashes up "out of memory".

It looks like something is clashing: can anyone suggest what it might be,
or where I should look, or even better how to overcome the problem?
I use XP Pro with 1.5Gb RAM so I don’t think that the message really means
what it says!

Thanks.

MaxB
*** correction ***

I don’t have the answer to your question. But I would ask: How much disk space is free on the hard drive you boot from?

Thanks for the thought but I have a 160Mb disk about 20% full, plus 1.5Gb Ram etc.

I think the problem may lie in some sort of USB conflict but not sure what! I can use the scanner fine on its own, but my thought was that it is competing for the same space when I have loaded PSe.
B
Bill
Feb 25, 2007
"MaxB" wrote in message
wrote:

"MaxB" wrote in message
I am running PSe 3 and use a Mustek Bearpaw 4800 scanner. Both work fine alone and, until recently, Photoshop could happily acquire scans from the
scanner. Now, as soon as I click on "preview", the scanner starts and then

what it says!

Thanks.

MaxB
*** correction ***

Thanks for the thought but I have a 160Mb disk about 20% full, plus 1.5Gb Ram etc.

I think the problem may lie in some sort of USB conflict but not sure what! I can use the scanner fine on its own, but my thought was that it is competing for the same space when I have loaded PSe.
Steve sort of hinted at virtual memory and maybe correct. I had a similar problem after moving up to 2GB RAM..

Try going to my computer/properties/advanced/performance/settings/advanced and set your virtual memory to as high as it will go. Its based on the installed RAM. In my case I doubled it since I doubled the RAM, and I stopped getting those error messages in programs like PSE, Roxio etc etc..mine is 3072MB

Worth a shot

Bill
M
MaxB
Feb 25, 2007
"Bill" wrote in message
"MaxB" wrote in message
wrote:

"MaxB" wrote in message
I am running PSe 3 and use a Mustek Bearpaw 4800 scanner. Both work fine
alone and, until recently, Photoshop could happily acquire scans from the
scanner. Now, as soon as I click on "preview", the scanner starts and then

what it says!

Thanks.

MaxB
*** correction ***

—snip—
Steve sort of hinted at virtual memory and maybe correct. I had a similar problem after moving up to 2GB RAM..

Try going to my computer/properties/advanced/performance/settings/advanced and set your virtual memory to as high as it will go. Its based on the installed RAM. In my case I doubled it since I doubled the RAM, and I stopped getting those error messages in programs like PSE, Roxio etc etc..mine is 3072MB

Worth a shot

Bill
Thanks for this idea. Actually I seem to have to go through the control panel to get to these options and when I have tried re re-installing (!) I will give this a go.

Maxb

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections