T
Posted By
tatrader
Feb 1, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I went through the Adobe gamma calibration of my crt monitor. Target color files seem to be displayed with appropriate colors on my screen, e.g. flesh tones look right as well as basic RGB colors.

Now I am looking to color calibrate my Canon ip4000 ink jet printer. I cannot justify buying a spectroanalyser(?) for > $300. I have found a few services that will color analyze a printout of a target color file and send me an icc profile for about $40.

Anyone have a manual adjustment procedure that would guide me through adjusting the CYM printer dirver controls based on a known target color file?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RG
Roy G
Feb 1, 2007
"Chuck Warren" wrote in message
I went through the Adobe gamma calibration of my crt monitor. Target color files seem to be displayed with appropriate colors on my screen, e.g. flesh tones look right as well as basic RGB colors.

Now I am looking to color calibrate my Canon ip4000 ink jet printer. I cannot justify buying a spectroanalyser(?) for > $300. I have found a few services that will color analyze a printout of a target color file and send me an icc profile for about $40.

Anyone have a manual adjustment procedure that would guide me through adjusting the CYM printer dirver controls based on a known target color file?
Hi.

Don’t even think about trying to do it that way.

Pay for the ICC profile, or profiles if you use more than 1 kind of paper, and get on with making prints.

It will be a lot quicker, and cheaper and you will retain your sanity.

Roy G
EB
Eric Bloch
Feb 2, 2007
Quick and dirty and cheap but not the best results:
1. Make a picture in PS that includes stripes of many different colors.
2. Save the picture and print it on the paper you are most interested in.
3. After it dries hold the pic next to the monitor and adjust the monitor to match.
4. Repeat until satisfied.

"Chuck Warren" wrote in message

RG
Roy G
Feb 2, 2007
"Eric Bloch" wrote in message
Quick and dirty and cheap but not the best results:
1. Make a picture in PS that includes stripes of many different colors.
2. Save the picture and print it on the paper you are most interested in.
3. After it dries hold the pic next to the monitor and adjust the monitor to match.
4. Repeat until satisfied.
If you do that carefully enough, you will certainly get your Printer output to match what you see on your Monitor.

There are a few downsides.

Your system will probably be completely out of step, in colour and density, from the rest of the world.

Any picture you import from anywhere, will probably seem to have completely wrong colours, and will need to be adjusted by you, before it looks correct on your machine.

Any picture you send anywhere, might well show totally wrong colours on any other system.
That includes most photo labs, so you will never be able to get anything printed correctly anywhere, except on your own printer. Anything you publish to a website will also display your incorrect colours.

As I said before buy an ICC Profile, and learn how to use it when Printing.

Roy G

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections