Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0 Does Nothing On My Machine (?)

RP
Posted By
Road Pizza
Jan 18, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
X-No-Archive: Yes

It has been a long time since I actually purchased major commercial software, and now I know why.

$100 bucks for Premiere Elements 3.0, and it fulfilled my prophecy about payware … doesn’t work.

System:
AMD FX-55
2 Gigs PC3200 RAM
2 x 84GB Raptors 10K in Raid 0 (around 160Gb total)
500GB Firewire Drive
OnBoard Nvidea Sound with newest Drivers
2 x Nvidia 6800Ultra Video Cards

Certainly well exceeds the system requirements on the box.

Installation went fine. No problems at all.

But I click the icon to launch the program, the splash screen comes up, it starts loading supporting files in the splash screen and so on … then after 5 seconds … it disappears. The program just unceremoniously closes. Period. That’s it.

I bought a $100 splash screen.

I have spent a week reading through all of the support forums, I have updated every driver that exists on my system to the latest and greatest driver … but every time I launch the program, all I get is a 5 second splash screen. Sweet.

Oh yeah, and you can’t return opened software either. Double Sweet.

But wait, there’s more, since the program doesn’t work whatsoever, I can actually pay Adobe additional money to perhaps tell me why it doesn’t work. Triple sweet.

I realize that there are thousands, perhaps even hundreds of thousands of people who find this reasonable, which is why I am going to buy ADBE stock as soon as I am done with this post (I am not kidding). You can burn a CD with a splash screen only for .50, sell it for $100, refuse to return it, then charge people a variety of additional prices to try to get it to work … no guarantees of success of course … and you keep the cash.

This has to be the greatest business model on the planet. Again, I am not kidding.

Nobody has ever gone broke by investing in the companies that screw them.

But before I go ahead and try to sell this worthless CD to some poor idiot on Ebay who will no doubt scrub his entire hard drive and try to reinstall everything piece by piece to get a single application to function, I thought I would try the last bastion of the truly desperate …. Usenet.

Oh sure, I am going to get flamed, called names, have the size of my penis and my sexuality questioned, a few jabs at my IQ will be taken, and perhaps there is a completely new orifice that I will be told which to fuck myself in … but hey … it’s Usenet. I would expect no less.

But, if there is any chance that *some* light could be shed on the issue in between the feces that shall be flung my way, hey, I’ll take it.

Does anybody, anywhere, have any idea why despite every driver upgrade imaginable, that Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0 just closes after the splash screen?

Thanks!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

O
Ozark58
Jan 22, 2007
"Road Pizza" wrote in message
X-No-Archive: Yes

It has been a long time since I actually purchased major commercial software, and now I know why.

$100 bucks for Premiere Elements 3.0, and it fulfilled my prophecy about payware … doesn’t work.

System:
AMD FX-55
2 Gigs PC3200 RAM
2 x 84GB Raptors 10K in Raid 0 (around 160Gb total)
500GB Firewire Drive
OnBoard Nvidea Sound with newest Drivers
2 x Nvidia 6800Ultra Video Cards

Certainly well exceeds the system requirements on the box.
Installation went fine. No problems at all.

But I click the icon to launch the program, the splash screen comes up, it starts loading supporting files in the splash screen and so on … then after 5 seconds … it disappears. The program just unceremoniously closes. Period. That’s it.

I bought a $100 splash screen.

I have spent a week reading through all of the support forums, I have updated every driver that exists on my system to the latest and greatest driver … but every time I launch the program, all I get is a 5 second splash screen. Sweet.

Oh yeah, and you can’t return opened software either. Double Sweet.
But wait, there’s more, since the program doesn’t work whatsoever, I can actually pay Adobe additional money to perhaps tell me why it doesn’t work. Triple sweet.

I realize that there are thousands, perhaps even hundreds of thousands of people who find this reasonable, which is why I am going to buy ADBE stock as soon as I am done with this post (I am not kidding). You can burn a CD with a splash screen only for .50, sell it for $100, refuse to return it, then charge people a variety of additional prices to try to get it to work … no guarantees of success of course … and you keep the cash.

This has to be the greatest business model on the planet. Again, I am not kidding.

Nobody has ever gone broke by investing in the companies that screw them.

But before I go ahead and try to sell this worthless CD to some poor idiot on Ebay who will no doubt scrub his entire hard drive and try to reinstall everything piece by piece to get a single application to function, I thought I would try the last bastion of the truly desperate … Usenet.

Oh sure, I am going to get flamed, called names, have the size of my penis and my sexuality questioned, a few jabs at my IQ will be taken, and perhaps there is a completely new orifice that I will be told which to fuck myself in … but hey … it’s Usenet. I would expect no less.
But, if there is any chance that *some* light could be shed on the issue in between the feces that shall be flung my way, hey, I’ll take it.

Does anybody, anywhere, have any idea why despite every driver upgrade imaginable, that Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0 just closes after the splash screen?

Thanks!

I’m very sorry to hear that you are having problems with Adobe Premiere Elements 3. I’ll try to help, and others will too, if you’ll agree to take a deep breath and ease off on the frustration a bit. We can all relate to what you’re going through.

First off, Adobe wouldn’t sell a product if it didn’t actually work, otherwise they’d soon be out of business and the executives would be in jail. My version 3 works fine and I’m sure most others do too.

Sometimes stepping away from the problem for a couple of days and then starting back at square one can help. My suggestions are:

1) Recheck the systems requirements. Are you really sure you’re system fulfills all of the requirements? Are you running Windows XP? Does your CPU have the SSE2 instruction set? Here are the requirements taken from the Adobe website:

a.. Intel
RP
Road Pizza
Jan 22, 2007
X-No:Archive: Yes

Ozark58 wrote:
I’m very sorry to hear that you are having problems with Adobe Premiere Elements 3. I’ll try to help, and others will too, if you’ll agree to take a deep breath and ease off on the frustration a bit. We can all relate to what you’re going through.

Thank you.

First off, Adobe wouldn’t sell a product if it didn’t actually work,

I would personally have to beg to differ.

otherwise they’d soon be out of business and the executives would be in jail.

You underestimate the software industry lobby.

My version 3 works fine and I’m sure most others do too.

I’m sure it does work on most systems. But that knowledge and a buck fifty will get my a 20oz soda.

Sometimes stepping away from the problem for a couple of days and then starting back at square one can help. My suggestions are:

It’s been two weeks, and I took several days off between tries.

1) Recheck the systems requirements. Are you really sure you’re system fulfills all of the requirements? Are you running Windows XP? Does your CPU have the SSE2 instruction set? Here are the requirements taken from the Adobe website:

Yes, I posted the key specs from my system.

a.. Intel® Pentium® 4 or Intel Celeron® 1.3GHz processor (or compatible processor with SSE2 support); dual-core processors and those with Hyper-Threading Technology supported; Pentium 4 3GHz processor required for HDV

Yes, the FX-55 is an SSE2 AMD 64 Processor.

a.. Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional, Home Edition, or Media Center Edition with Service Pack 2

Check.

a.. 512MB of RAM; 1GB required for HDV

2 GB

a.. 4GB of available hard-disk space

80 GB

a.. Color monitor with 16-bit color video card

32 bit.

a.. 1,024×768 monitor resolution

1600×1200

a.. Microsoft DirectX 9 compatible sound and display driver

Yep

a.. DVD-ROM drive (compatible DVD burner required to burn DVDs)

Of course.

a.. DV/i.LINK/FireWire/IEEE 1394 interface to connect a Digital 8 or DV camcorder, or a USB2 interface to connect a DV-via-USB-compatible DV camcorder (other video devices supported via the Media Downloader)

Not relevant until the program can be booted for capture .. but yes, firewire and USB2 is onboard.

2) Uninstall, do a reboot and then try another install.

Yep.

3) Use a utility to check your hardware. Perhaps your hardware devices are not what you think they are or perhaps they’re not functioning in the correct mode. For example, you may have had a memory card failure and the PC is not actually running with less than 2 gigabytes of memory. Or…perhaps the PC BIOS has been changed to a slower CPU speed. A good utility can be found free from here:

Ran Windows MemCheck for 24 hours, Prime 95 stress test for 12 hours , and Aquamark about 30 times.

Everything else runs fun, and I do indeed have 2GB of RAM running with the CPU at the rated 2.6Ghz.

I have numerous utilities to check this, but it would also be obvious by system behavior if the memory/cpu started malfunctioning.

It is just Premiere on this system.

I hope these ideas help,
Sincere regards,
ozark58

They do, but I’ve been through them. I’ve had machines since the 80’s, and none of this stuff is new to me.

I have tried every troubleshoot on Adobe’s site EXCEPT formatting the hard drive and reinstalling the OS and applications one by one.

That’s not going to happen for a single application.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections