B
Posted By
Bruce
Nov 13, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve just bought PSE4 & I want to merge the clouds from one photo to the foreground of another. I’ve read articles and understand the principle but I can’t figure out how you show a thumbnail in the Layers column of two different photos. Iam in the Edit screen. How do you just copy and paste part of the clouds over a lanscape.

Bruce

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

M
MyVeryOwnSelf
Nov 15, 2006
I’ve just bought PSE4 & I want to merge the clouds from one photo to the foreground of another. I’ve read articles and understand the principle but I can’t figure out how you show a thumbnail in the Layers column of two different photos. I am in the Edit screen. How do you just copy and paste part of the clouds over a landscape.

What worked for me was to:

– use "Window > Layers" to see the layer thumbnails and controls.

– create a background layer with the sky in it.

– in the landscape layer, delete what’s above the horizon so the background
sky shows through.
B
Burt
Dec 5, 2006
"Bruce" wrote in message
I’ve just bought PSE4 & I want to merge the clouds from one photo to the foreground of another. I’ve read articles and understand the principle but I can’t figure out how you show a thumbnail in the Layers column of two different photos. Iam in the Edit screen. How do you just copy and paste part of the clouds over a lanscape.

Bruce
Better NOT to copy and paste as you have less ability to manipulate and edit the portion of the second picture you add to the first. When you "lasso" the area you want to bring from the second picture to the one you are working on, have both on the screen in reduced windows, and use the "move" tool to move the selected area over to the first pic, you actually create another layer. If you really want both to be treated totally as one image you can flatten the layers. best, however, to keep all layers separate so each can be edited and adjusted without affecting the others.

The tiny thumbnails in the layers palate area are strictly for identifying the layer visually. As you add a layer or layers the additional thumbnail appears in the layers palate area. The same thing happens when you add text. By keeping a separate layer for the text you can increase or decrease the size of the text area, create special effects with the text, move it around as it overlies the background layer and any other layers beneath it, etc. If you flatten the layers you can no longer individually manipulate what is on each separate layer.

Just keep working with layers and they will become less mysterious!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections