Super high resolution prints on transparency in L.A.?

M
Posted By
molecool
Apr 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I do live in Los Angeles and need to find someone who can produce a high res print. I have created ‘non-traditional’ artwork (for some research) in Photoshop which contains several thousand super fine lines at a thickness of less than 1/10 of a millimeter. The file looks best at a resolution of 273.45dpi,
at which each line occupies exactly one pixel. I need to have the file printed in color
and on transparent/clear foil! This has proven to be a problem and even a res80
LVT print didn’t come out just right. Some of the lines get printed thicker than others
and I need to get a certain level of accuracy.

Now, I heard that a LightJet 5000 might be able to print this, but I have my doubts as to whether those things can print on transparent foil. Also, everytime I call someone about sending them my file they want it as a 300dpi Photoshop file, which doesn’t make any sense if the output is supposed to approach 4000dpi!! Finally, changing the file to the sightly higher (and more common)
resolution of 300dpi (or 305dpi or 406dpi) turns all the lines into mud.

I have already blown hundreds of dollars on failed res80 LVT outputs (a.k.a. ‘mud’) and am getting a bit frustrated. Is there a place in L.A. that can produce super high resolution color prints? Also, being able to talk somebody who actually understand the process and the intricacies involved instead of some clueless ‘technician’ would really help 😉

Any help would be greatly appreciated – I can’t believe it’s 2004 and I am unable to get a decent output… <sigh>

Michael

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

J
JJS
Apr 26, 2004
"molecool" wrote in message

I have already blown hundreds of dollars on failed res80 LVT outputs

[…]
Any help would be greatly appreciated – I can’t believe it’s 2004 and I am unable to get a decent output… <sigh>

I can’t believe you didn’t look forward to anticipate the problem. A little analysis never hurt.
M
molecool
Apr 26, 2004
I’m not sure how to interpret your comment. I have done plenty of analysis beforehand, but are not familiar with the limitations of the current output methods. Before spending a single buck I literally had dozens of conversations with several output studios here in L.A.

Anyway, I would welcome anyone who can help out and share his/her experience.

Michael

"jjs" wrote in message

I have already blown hundreds of dollars on failed res80 LVT outputs

[…]
Any help would be greatly appreciated – I can’t believe it’s 2004 and I
am
unable to get a decent output… <sigh>

I can’t believe you didn’t look forward to anticipate the problem. A
little
analysis never hurt.

J
JJS
Apr 26, 2004
I’m not sure how to interpret your comment. I have done plenty of analysis beforehand, but are not familiar with the limitations of the current
output
methods. Before spending a single buck I literally had dozens of conversations with several output studios here in L.A.

Did they say they could do the work as you specified it? I’d be pretty upset if they said they could, then could not. On the other hand, if they said they could not, and you went ahead anyway then I don’t know what to think.
C
Chris
Apr 26, 2004
In article <c6jd21$cke3c$>,
"molecool" wrote:

I do live in Los Angeles and need to find someone who can produce a high res print. I have created ‘non-traditional’ artwork (for some research) in Photoshop which contains several thousand super fine lines at a thickness of less than 1/10 of a millimeter. The file looks best at a resolution of 273.45dpi,

You created your artwork with a specific number of pixels at a specific resolution. When you change the resolution (from 273.45 to 300), you’ve probably left the "Resample" checkbox checked and Photoshop is changing the number of pixels in your image, and that causes some of your 1-pixel lines to disppear.

If you want to change the resolution without changing the number of pixels, uncheck the "Resample" box in the Image Size window. Note this will change the printing size of your image. It’s holding the number orf pixels constant, but changing the number of pixels packed into an inch, so your image will print smaller than you planned.

If you want maintain the pixel-perfect quality of your art at a given size, you need to start out knowing the resolution and size of your target art and construct your document accoredingly.

On the other hand, if you really require that kind of precision, perhaps this job could be partially done using a vector drawing program like Freehand or Illustrator.

C

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections