Posted By
Jack
Apr 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi
I’m shooting lots of detailed Jewellery for a catalogue with a digital camera, and am trying to get a consistent colour background for all the shots.

I can’t use too many lights because the items are small.

After much experimenting I’ve come to the conclusion that in order for all the backgrounds to be consistent I have to knockout the backgrounds and insert a standard coloured background using photoshop.

My question is what background will give me the cleanest background to remove in photoshop?

I’ve tried white but I end up with lots of shadows to clean up. I’m frightened of black as it may give me lost on black in the jewellery items that I won’t be able to easily separate out in photoshop.

Perhaps a lightbox is best, but then won’t I get white reflective edges that will merge with the background and not give me a clean knockout?

What do you suggest?

Thanks
J

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

L
LG
Apr 27, 2004
I would use either blue or green, as with movie special effects backgrounds. Basically just choose a color that will not be in the jewelry itself, so it’s easy to select and replace.

"Jack" wrote in message
Hi
I’m shooting lots of detailed Jewellery for a catalogue with a digital camera, and am trying to get a consistent colour background for all the shots.

I can’t use too many lights because the items are small.
After much experimenting I’ve come to the conclusion that in order for all the backgrounds to be consistent I have to knockout the backgrounds and insert a standard coloured background using photoshop.

My question is what background will give me the cleanest background to remove in photoshop?

I’ve tried white but I end up with lots of shadows to clean up. I’m frightened of black as it may give me lost on black in the jewellery items that I won’t be able to easily separate out in photoshop.
Perhaps a lightbox is best, but then won’t I get white reflective edges that will merge with the background and not give me a clean knockout?
What do you suggest?

Thanks
J

H
Hecate
Apr 27, 2004
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 00:01:36 GMT, "LG"
wrote:

I would use either blue or green, as with movie special effects backgrounds. Basically just choose a color that will not be in the jewelry itself, so it’s easy to select and replace.
And the best way to photograph something as reflective as jewellery, and which will eliminate the shadow problem, is to use a light tent.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections