JP
Posted By
Joe Pak
Sep 30, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’d like to combine 4 virtually identical pictures together (2 wide x 2 high). The only difference between them being different unsharp mask values. That way I can look at them next to each other for evaluation.

I’ve got a pretty big 20 inch monitor set to 1600 x 1200, so I could size them to about 800 x 600 each and fill the screen.

I’m running Windows XP and Photoshop Elements 4.0, but can’t figure out how to paste those 4 pictures together. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RG
Roy G
Sep 30, 2006
"Joe Pak" wrote in message
I’d like to combine 4 virtually identical pictures together (2 wide x 2 high). The only difference between them being different unsharp mask values.
That way I can look at them next to each other for evaluation.
I’ve got a pretty big 20 inch monitor set to 1600 x 1200, so I could size them to about 800 x 600 each and fill the screen.

I’m running Windows XP and Photoshop Elements 4.0, but can’t figure out how
to paste those 4 pictures together. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Joe
Hi.

Its easy.

Open all 4 and size them the way you want, and keep all 4 open at the same time.

Pick one of them and go to Image > Resize > Canvas Size. Set the measurements to pixels and increase the canvas size to 1600 x 1200.

Then "Drag" the other 3 images, not their windows, onto this big one.

Then use the "Move" Tool to arrange them the way you want, remembering they will each be on their own layer.

Roy G
C
Charley
Oct 1, 2006
This almost works, but it’s best to create a new blank canvas and then drag each one of the photos onto it. Doing it by enlarging the canvas of one of the photos will prevent you from positioning that photo on it’s canvas exactly where you want to. It will go to a default position determined by the choice (basically North, South, East, or West) and you won’t be able to move it from that position to get the others to fit and have equal spacings, etc. Draging a photo to a blank canvas puts the photo on it’s own layer. If each one is on a separate layer you can very easily place them exactly where you want to above the blank canvas layer.

Charley

"Roy G" wrote in message
I’d like to combine 4 virtually identical pictures together (2 wide x 2 high). The only difference between them being different unsharp mask values.
I’ve got a pretty big 20 inch monitor set to 1600 x 1200, so I could
size
them to about 800 x 600 each and fill the screen.

to paste those 4 pictures together. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.
Thanks,

Joe
Hi.

Its easy.

Open all 4 and size them the way you want, and keep all 4 open at the same time.

Pick one of them and go to Image > Resize > Canvas Size. Set the measurements to pixels and increase the canvas size to 1600 x 1200.
Then "Drag" the other 3 images, not their windows, onto this big one.
Then use the "Move" Tool to arrange them the way you want, remembering
they
will each be on their own layer.

Roy G

RG
Roy G
Oct 1, 2006
"Charley" wrote in message
This almost works, but it’s best to create a new blank canvas and then drag
each one of the photos onto it. Doing it by enlarging the canvas of one of the photos will prevent you from positioning that photo on it’s canvas exactly where you want to. It will go to a default position determined by the choice (basically North, South, East, or West) and you won’t be able to
move it from that position to get the others to fit and have equal spacings,
etc. Draging a photo to a blank canvas puts the photo on it’s own layer. If
each one is on a separate layer you can very easily place them exactly where
you want to above the blank canvas layer.

Charley

Of course it works.

What I should have said was to ensure the original photo was in the corner of the enlarged canvas, by using the 9section anchor box.

Roy G
JP
Joe Pak
Oct 1, 2006
"Roy G" wrote in message
each one of the photos onto it. Doing it by enlarging the canvas of one
of
the photos will prevent you from positioning that photo on it’s canvas exactly where you want to. It will go to a default position determined
by
the choice (basically North, South, East, or West) and you won’t be able to

Charley

Of course it works.

What I should have said was to ensure the original photo was in the corner of the enlarged canvas, by using the 9section anchor box.
Roy G

Thanks guys. I’ve been putting off spending time on layers. I was able to anchor the 1st picture in the upper left corner of the canvas, but when I tried dragging the others to their corners, they wouldn’t "stick". I’ve got to go do a little reading about layers.

Joe
JP
Joe Pak
Oct 3, 2006
"Roy G" wrote in message
of
the photos will prevent you from positioning that photo on it’s canvas exactly where you want to. It will go to a default position determined
by
the choice (basically North, South, East, or West) and you won’t be able to

Charley

Of course it works.

Roy G

Got it! If anyone would care to look at it and comment on which of the 3 sharpening settings looks best, I be interested in your opinions. Down towards the lower right in each are markings of X, Y, and W (I threw Z out).

http://www.pbase.com/joepak/image/67954532

Thanks again for the help…

Joe
S
spring
Oct 3, 2006
"Roy G" wrote in message
of
by
the choice (basically North, South, East, or West) and you won’t be able
to
etc. Draging a photo to a blank canvas puts the photo on it’s own layer.
If

Charley

Of course it works.

What I should have said was to ensure the original photo was in the corner
of the enlarged canvas, by using the 9section anchor box.
Roy G

Got it! If anyone would care to look at it and comment on which of the 3 sharpening settings looks best, I be interested in your opinions. Down towards the lower right in each are markings of X, Y, and W (I threw Z out).

http://www.pbase.com/joepak/image/67954532

Thanks again for the help…

Joe
you remind me of my optometrist …is this one sharper, the same, or worse? 🙂

I would say W..

Good job
Bill
RG
Roy G
Oct 3, 2006

to paste those 4 pictures together. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Joe

Hi.

There are better and more flexible ways of sharpening than USM.

This way allows you to adjust the amount and see the effect on the whole image, compare it to the unsharpened original, then apply more or less and see the results of that.

Start by making a duplicate layer. Leave the duplicate layer as the active one all the way through the process.

Apply the Filter "High Pass" at about radius 10.

In Blending apply "Soft Light" or "Overlay" or "Hard Light" depending on how
much sharpening is needed.

Set the Opacity Slider to say 50%.

Click on the Eyeball to turn off that layer, so you can see the original unsharpened version. Click it on again to see the Sharpened one.

You can judge whether you need more or less sharpening. More is gained by increasing the opacity, less by reducing it.

Much more is achieved by changing the Blending to "Hard Light" medium by using "Overlay".

You can just play about with these 2 settings, and turning the eyeball on & off, until you get the degree of sharpening you need. You can then Flatten the image and make it permanent.

Roy G
JP
Joe Pak
Oct 8, 2006
"Roy G" wrote in message
I’ve got a pretty big 20 inch monitor set to 1600 x 1200, so I could
size
them to about 800 x 600 each and fill the screen.

to paste those 4 pictures together. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.
Thanks,

Joe

Hi.

There are better and more flexible ways of sharpening than USM.
This way allows you to adjust the amount and see the effect on the whole image, compare it to the unsharpened original, then apply more or less and see the results of that.

Start by making a duplicate layer. Leave the duplicate layer as the
active
one all the way through the process.

Apply the Filter "High Pass" at about radius 10.
In Blending apply "Soft Light" or "Overlay" or "Hard Light" depending on
how
much sharpening is needed.

Set the Opacity Slider to say 50%.

Click on the Eyeball to turn off that layer, so you can see the original unsharpened version. Click it on again to see the Sharpened one.
You can judge whether you need more or less sharpening. More is gained
by
increasing the opacity, less by reducing it.

Much more is achieved by changing the Blending to "Hard Light" medium by using "Overlay".

You can just play about with these 2 settings, and turning the eyeball on
&
off, until you get the degree of sharpening you need. You can then
Flatten
the image and make it permanent.

Roy G

Roy,

I just spent an hour or so playing with this technique. I kinda like it. Every time I learn something new about Elements I am just amazed by how much I don’t know…

Thanks for the tip.

Joe

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections