Changing image size/ resolution for prints.

KP
Posted By
keith popplewell
Sep 8, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using Photoshop 7, an Epson 2200 printer, and an Olympus c5050 camera. I want to make large (11 x 14)high quality fine art prints.
I understand saving images w/ the PIM format, what I don’t get is how to change size and res. of my image. After importing my image from the camera and opening it in Photoshop, the image size (in inches) varies between quality modes, but the pixel size is always 72/inch.
I have 2 options, I can reset the pixel size to lets say 400 ppi, which automatically changes the overall size of image. Or I can input the actual dimensions I want the image to be in inches, and then enter what I want the ppi to be. When I do this, the image size remains intact. Does it matter which way I do it to get my final actual image size, and is it better to do Photshop image alterations before or after I change the size of my image?
I’m still learning all this, so keep that in mind with responses. Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

PH
Photo Help
Sep 8, 2003
As long as "resample image" is uncheck it doesn’t matter how or what order you do things in. As you noticed it doesn’t change any of the physical characteristics of your image only the print size.
BB
Bert Bigelow
Sep 8, 2003
First, if you want the highest possible quality, use the highest resolution your camera offers. Also, if you have TIFF or RAW formats in the camera, either of those is better than the highest quality JPEG. (SHQ)

Now, about image size and resolution:

As Photo Help says, you must leave Resampling UNchecked when changing resolution or image size if you do not want resampling to occur. Resampling will degrade image quality. However, if you want "fine art" prints sized 11×14 from a 5-megapixel camera, you have a problem. You will have to go down to about 180 ppi to get to that size. For best print quality, you need to be around 300 ppi, which will only give you a printed size of about 8.5 x 6.4. To get the size you want at 300 ppi, you will have to resample.
I suggest that you try it both ways. With Resampling unchecked, change resolution to 180. Then, on another copy of the image, set the size to 11×14, resolution to 300 and check the resampling box. USE the Unsharp Mask to improve sharpness of both images after you have done all other changes.
Bert
EDIT: You might need to adjust the resolution up a little from 180, depending on what border size you want.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections