N
Posted By
Nathan Gutman
Sep 22, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have PSE3 and 4. I unchecked the option "Use Adobe Downloader…" in both but as soon as I pop in a memory card into the card reader the Downloader still comes up.
How do I stop the darn thing from taking over?
Thanks,

Nathan Gutman

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
robertredwoodgroups
Sep 23, 2006
Nathan Gutman wrote:
I have PSE3 and 4. I unchecked the option "Use Adobe Downloader…" in both but as soon as I pop in a memory card into the card reader the Downloader still comes up.
Thanks,

Nathan Gutman

That’s a tough one.

Generally if you deactivate the option in both programs, the Photo Downloader no longer appears.

The only other thing to say is that if you are one of those people who tend to leave their computer on all the time, not shutting it down at night, then those changes only take effect after a restart.

Can you give us any extra details? Do you only have Elements 3 and 4? (Not 1 or 2). Was 4 an upgrade version from 3, or are they both full licenses? Which was installed first? Anything that might help us isolate why the Downloader is still appearing.

Robert Redwood
www.easyelements.com
Photoshop Elements Expert Advice
N
Nathan Gutman
Sep 23, 2006
Computer shut down every day.
PSE 3 and 4 only.
Both full licenses
PSE3 was installed first then after about a year PSE4 was installed. —
Nathan Gutman
"Robert Redwood – www.easyelements.com"
wrote in message
Nathan Gutman wrote:
I have PSE3 and 4. I unchecked the option "Use Adobe Downloader…" in both
but as soon as I pop in a memory card into the card reader the Downloader still comes up.
Thanks,

Nathan Gutman

That’s a tough one.

Generally if you deactivate the option in both programs, the Photo Downloader no longer appears.

The only other thing to say is that if you are one of those people who tend to leave their computer on all the time, not shutting it down at night, then those changes only take effect after a restart.
Can you give us any extra details? Do you only have Elements 3 and 4? (Not 1 or 2). Was 4 an upgrade version from 3, or are they both full licenses? Which was installed first? Anything that might help us isolate why the Downloader is still appearing.

Robert Redwood
www.easyelements.com
F
Fishface
Sep 23, 2006
Nathan Gutman wrote:
Computer shut down every day.
PSE 3 and 4 only.
Both full licenses
PSE3 was installed first then after about a year PSE4 was installed.

I hate that thing, too.

It sounds like you have done everything right.
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/332361.html

At this point, assuming you are running some flavor of Windows XP, I would go into the Services Manager and disable the appropriate service or services. Since I don’t have PSE3 installed on this machine and I don’t have PSE4 at all, I can’t tell you what it/they are called. To access the Services Manager, you can either right click on My Computer and choose Manage and find the icon that looks like two meshed gears (yellow and white), or type "services.msc" from the Run… command on the Start Menu. When you find the appropriate service(s), from the properties menu you can stop them and set their startup type to disabled.
R
robertredwoodgroups
Sep 24, 2006
Fishface wrote:
I hate that thing, too.

At this point, assuming you are running some flavor of Windows XP, I would go into the Services Manager and disable the appropriate service or services. Since I don’t have PSE3 installed on this machine and I don’t have PSE4 at all, I can’t tell you what it/they are called. To access the Services Manager, you can either right click on My Computer and choose Manage and find the icon that looks like two meshed gears (yellow and white), or type "services.msc" from the Run… command on the Start Menu. When you find the appropriate service(s), from the properties menu you can stop them and set their startup type to disabled.

Yep, you’ll have to goto Run, and type in "services.msc" as explained above. (No quotes)

Switch to the ‘Extended’ tab, and then look down the list for the service named "Photoshop Elements Device Connect". It’s description should be:

"Photoshop Elements Organizer launch utility on device arrival."

There may even be two of them, if you are running two copies of Elements.

Right click it, and press "Stop".

Then right click again, and select "Properties"

Under ‘Startup Type", select "Disabled"

That should fix it. Let us know either way though!

Robert Redwood
www.easyelements.com
N
Nathan Gutman
Sep 25, 2006
Thank you all. That did it!

Nathan Gutman
"Robert Redwood – www.easyelements.com"
wrote in message
Fishface wrote:
I hate that thing, too.

At this point, assuming you are running some flavor of Windows XP, I would go into the Services Manager and disable the appropriate service or services. Since I don’t have PSE3 installed on this machine and I don’t have PSE4 at all, I can’t tell you what it/they are called. To
access the Services Manager, you can either right click on My Computer and choose Manage and find the icon that looks like two meshed gears (yellow and white), or type "services.msc" from the Run… command on the Start Menu. When you find the appropriate service(s), from the properties menu you can stop them and set their startup type to disabled.

Yep, you’ll have to goto Run, and type in "services.msc" as explained above. (No quotes)

Switch to the ‘Extended’ tab, and then look down the list for the service named "Photoshop Elements Device Connect". It’s description should be:

"Photoshop Elements Organizer launch utility on device arrival."
There may even be two of them, if you are running two copies of Elements.

Right click it, and press "Stop".

Then right click again, and select "Properties"
Under ‘Startup Type", select "Disabled"

That should fix it. Let us know either way though!

Robert Redwood
www.easyelements.com
R
robertredwoodgroups
Sep 26, 2006
Nathan Gutman wrote:
Thank you all. That did it!

Yay! Congratulations. Glad we succeeded! 😀

Robert Redwood
www.easyelements.com

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections