Huge Problems with PSCS3 (And out of nowhere)

MC
Posted By
Michael_Cross
Nov 3, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Everything’s been fine since today. I can launch the program fine but I can’t OPEN anything. The OPEN box appears for a split second and then dissapears. After that nothing is operable. I can’t click anything, or even close the program. It’s like everything is frozen except for the mouse. I’m using WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM. I have more than enough hard drive space. What is going on here, it’s so frustrating??

I tried deleting the Preferences but it did nothing to solve the problem!

Please HELP!!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RK
Rob_Keijzer
Nov 3, 2007
Michael,

Your Open dialog is probably off screen, while keeping focus. In that case the interface seems locked up.

You still need to reset the preferences (forum FAQ).

Rob
MC
Michael_Cross
Nov 3, 2007
I did all of this but nothings changed. All that it asks me when I do the shift-alt-control is if I want to delete the settings. I click yes but the problem is still there. I’m really sorry about all the complaining by the way.
B
babaloo
Nov 3, 2007
It is not clear if you also have problems with Bridge, which can be buggy in XP and worse in Vista. I presume you are writing about the File/open command from CS3 itself. It is not clear if Bridge is working for you or not. A possibility:
"Security" in Vista is a hodgepodge of defective half measures that can wreak havoc on a system. There is in fact no clear definition of who or what an administrator is, at least no definition that a non Microsoft programmer can comprehend, and it is entirely possible that when you installed CS3 it was not granted permission to access files because of these serious issues with the basic structure of Vista or something else has reset those permissions.
Although Microsoft has instructions on how to reset permissions they can be complicated and rarely seem to work. However you might want to look into that.
You could be trying to use CS3 through an account that does not have access to your files, which should seem impossible but is not.
If you have a system restore point that preceeds when your problems began trying rolling your system back to that point.
My primary recommendation would be to set up your computer as a dual boot with XP so that you can actually get work done and switch to Vista if Microsoft ever gets it to work.
Short of that, although no guarantee it will work:
Uninstall CS3, manually comb the registry and for references to CS3 and delete them all (make a backup of your registry first so you can reinstall it in safe mode if something goes wrong), reboot and reinstall CS3. If Vista really were an advance over XP the fragile and vulnerable Registry would have been ditched.
If you can open CS3 then first deactivate it to save yourself grief when you reinstall it–Adobe is as irrational or worse than even Microsoft about these issues.
Be clear about what "account" you are in when you install CS3 and what permissions that account has under Vista.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Nov 3, 2007
Can you restore Windows to a previous date when it worked?

Any new software installed?
MC
Michael_Cross
Nov 3, 2007
"Can you restore Windows to a previous date when it worked?"

That’s the thing, it worked fine earlier TODAY.

"Any new software installed?"

No, this was the latest program I’ve installed.
TK
Toobi-Won Kenobi
Nov 3, 2007
"flambe" wrote in message
It is not clear if you also have problems with Bridge, which can be buggy in XP and worse in Vista. I presume you are writing about the File/open command from CS3 itself. It is not clear if Bridge is working for you or not.
A possibility:
"Security" in Vista is a hodgepodge of defective half measures that can wreak havoc on a system. There is in fact no clear definition of who or what an administrator is, at least no definition that a non Microsoft programmer can comprehend, and it is entirely possible that when you installed CS3 it was not granted permission to access files because of these serious issues with the basic structure of Vista or something else has reset those permissions.
Although Microsoft has instructions on how to reset permissions they can be complicated and rarely seem to work. However you might want to look into that.
You could be trying to use CS3 through an account that does not have access to your files, which should seem impossible but is not. If you have a system restore point that preceeds when your problems began trying rolling your system back to that point.
My primary recommendation would be to set up your computer as a dual boot with XP so that you can actually get work done and switch to Vista if Microsoft ever gets it to work.
Short of that, although no guarantee it will work:
Uninstall CS3, manually comb the registry and for references to CS3 and delete them all (make a backup of your registry first so you can reinstall it in safe mode if something goes wrong), reboot and reinstall CS3. If Vista really were an advance over XP the fragile and vulnerable Registry would have been ditched.
If you can open CS3 then first deactivate it to save yourself grief when you reinstall it–Adobe is as irrational or worse than even Microsoft about these issues.
Be clear about what "account" you are in when you install CS3 and what permissions that account has under Vista.
F,

An excellent reply, it is a pity that the OP cannot see it, he is posting in the Adobeforums, not this NG. We can see their posts but they cannot see posts to this NG.

Regards
TWK
N
nospam
Nov 4, 2007
"Toobi-Won Kenobi" <Toobi-won > wrote in message
An excellent reply, it is a pity that the OP cannot see it, he is posting in the Adobeforums, not this NG. We can see their posts but they cannot see posts to this NG.

Who’s dumb idea was it to merge a private discussion forum with usenet? Hopefully someone will explain the internet to Adobe someday.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections