NW
Posted By
No Way
Aug 20, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I tweak photos and save the changes I’m used to seeing my 3 to 4 mb sized files remain large files and even increase in size because of the changes made. Now, for a reason I don’t understand, the "JPEG Options" box is defaulting to medium quality. I didn’t realize it until I saved a few originals only to find they are now too small for a quality print. Of, course the one’s I work on are the only one’s I really want to save..the "keepers". Now, they’re gone. Any ideas why the default sets itself to medium now?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RG
Roy G
Aug 22, 2006
"Ric" wrote in message
When I tweak photos and save the changes I’m used to seeing my 3 to 4 mb sized files remain large files and even increase in size because of the changes made. Now, for a reason I don’t understand, the "JPEG Options" box is defaulting to medium quality. I didn’t realize it until I saved a few originals only to find they are now too small for a quality print. Of, course the one’s I work on are the only one’s I really want to save..the "keepers". Now, they’re gone. Any ideas why the default sets itself to medium now?

It is not the size of Jpegs which makes them useless, it is the fact that Compressed Saves can and will introduce Artefacts.

If your Jpegs don’t have these unwelcome additions, then they should still print Ok. Sometimes the Artefacts are more visible on screen than on the print.

Saving originals as Jpeg is not the best idea, but editing originals instead of copies, really is inviting disaster.

We all make errors, but if we do so on copies, we can still recover all the data from the Originals, even though they are Jpegs.

Roy G

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections