Posted By
Drew
Aug 9, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello –

When I download my Nikon D50 photos to Photoshop, I am able to look at all the data on the exposure.

If I download directly to a disk not using Photoshop, will this data still be saved on the disk? If so, how can I access it?

Thanks

Drew

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RG
Roy G
Aug 10, 2006
"Drew" wrote in message
Hello –

When I download my Nikon D50 photos to Photoshop, I am able to look at all the data on the exposure.

If I download directly to a disk not using Photoshop, will this data still be saved on the disk? If so, how can I access it?

Thanks

Drew
You do not usually need to use a program to download your images from the camera, or the card, to your HDD.

Your Card Reader or Camera should show up as a "Drive" in My Computer.

Just drag the files from the Camera or Card to whatever folder you plan to store them in.

The data your refer to is called EXIF. It is part of the image file. A lot of programs can read it, or some of it.

Since you have Ps Elements, you can still use that to read the data. Open an image in Elements by using "Open With", (if those file types are not associated with Elements), then go to File > File Info.

Roy G
R
Rina
Aug 10, 2006
You said Photoshop, I am assuming that you mean Photoshop elements.

Yes, as long as you don’t use the "save for the web" feature in Elements. That feature strips the exif information from the file.

You can read this information from windows explorer or picture and fax viewer. Right click on the file and select properties.

"Drew" wrote in message
Hello –

Thanks

Drew
RW
Roger Whitehead
Aug 10, 2006
In article <xtuCg.907$>, Drew wrote:

Hello Drew,

What are you uploading to – the camera, a card reader or something else? If so, you can do this direct to your computer, via a USB connection to the camera or to a card reader. You don’t need Photoshop for this but, if you find that convenient, there’s no reason not to carry on doing so.

The exposure details are part of the EXIF (Exchangeable Image File Format) data. It’s embedded in the camera’s files (.e.g. jpg, tiff), so will be there until something removes it, such as Photoshop’s Save to Web routine.

Roger
R
Roger
Aug 10, 2006
Rina wrote:
You said Photoshop, I am assuming that you mean Photoshop elements.
Yes, as long as you don’t use the "save for the web" feature in Elements. That feature strips the exif information from the file.

Part of the exif information is stripped even in a normal save. See the example here (original image exif on the left, and exif after a normal save in PSE4 on the right):

http://tinyurl.com/lw3jz

Roger
RW
Roger Whitehead
Aug 10, 2006
In article , Roger Whitehead wrote:
What are you uploading to

to/from

Roger
RW
Roger Whitehead
Aug 10, 2006
In article , Roger
wrote:
Part of the exif information is stripped even in a normal save.

That’s interesting. I didn’t know that.

I’ve had a play and found that PSD files don’t show any EXIF data (viewing through IrfanView) but JPGs made from them will, in the reduced format.

The extra information under "Maker Note (Vendor)" varies between makers. Canon seems to provide more than Olympus, for instance. The amount might also vary between a maker’s different cameras.

Roger

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections