T
Posted By
Typeaux
Oct 30, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This behavior just started. When attempting a "Save As" (I’ve tried it so far with PSD and JPG files), a fairly large window flashes momentarily on the screen and then Photoshop (CS3) freezes. I get a low bell sound whenever I click anywhere in the Photoshop application window. Task Manager tells me that the system is waiting for a response from me, but the window with that response information has vanished a split second after I click "Save As."

The only way to close it down is to force it to quit from Task Manager.

I have tried re-starting Photoshop and rebooting. No good.

This behavior is new. It was working fine, then suddenly was not. I can open and manipulate any image, but cannot Save As.

Has anyone seen this behavior before?

— Tom

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BL
Bob Levine
Oct 30, 2007
Have you recently switched from a dual monitor to single monitor or changed the resolution of your monitor?

Bob
T
Typeaux
Oct 30, 2007
No, but thanks for asking. I was working on two images. I was able to save the first one as a PSD, and left it open while opening the second image. I was able to save that one as a PSD as well. When I resized and tried to save as a JPEG, PS froze up (title bar went light blue even though I clicked on it directly, indicating that there is an open dialog box somewhere but it doesn’t show up. I have even made the Photoshop window smaller before trying the Save As to see if the other window "requiring a response from you" (me) was visible. It was not.

I’m hoping this doesn’t require re-installing the software. I have the CS3 Design Premium Suite and installing a single application isn’t as straightforward as it might seem.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Oct 31, 2007
The dialog box is either off-screen or behind the application window. Hit the ESC key to cancel. Try again. If that still doesn’t work, click Window > Workplace > Default Workplace and try the Save As again.

If that doesn’t work, close Photoshop. Restart Photoshop but IMMEDIATELY after clicking the icon, press and hold Ctrl+Alt+Shift. You should get a dialog asking if you want to delete your preferences (if Photoshop opens and you don’t get this dialog, you weren’t fast enough with Ctrl+Alt+Shift, and will need to close Photoshop and do this over). Say OK. Now you should be good to go.
T
Typeaux
Oct 31, 2007
The dialog box is either off-screen or behind the application window.

It is off screen. I have minimized the PS window prior to selecting "Save As".

Hit the ESC key to cancel.

Dang. That actually worked…

The other thing I discovered is that this freeze-up occurs on *all* CS3 applications (Illustrator, InDesign, etc.).

Thanks for your help, Michael. I might have this under control now.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Nov 1, 2007
Typeaux, the ESC key will typically act like the Cancel button in a dialog box, just as the Enter key will typically act like the OK button.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections