T
Posted By
Tequila
Jun 15, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m trying to figure out why when I open a picture in Elements 4.0 it has a brown tint or haze to it. If I open the same pic in any other pic viewer (ex: ACDSee) it displays normal.

I run PH Elements on Win XP with 1GB Ram. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tequila

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JP
Joe Pak
Jun 15, 2006
"Tequila" wrote in message
I’m trying to figure out why when I open a picture in Elements 4.0 it has a brown tint or haze to it. If I open the same pic in any other pic viewer (ex: ACDSee) it displays normal.

Thanks,
Tequila

I think you have the same problem I had. Can you view the thread "Pictures appear too dark in Elements 4.0", dated 5/27 ?

Joe
RG
Roy G
Jun 15, 2006

Thanks,
Tequila

Simple answer, but difficult problem.

Photoshop Elements is a Colour Management Capable Program and few others are.

So the wrong colour display is probably due to C. M. being turned on in Elements.

Your big problem now becomes apparent. Is Elements showing the correct colours and everything else the wrong ones.

You need to get a Monitor Profile and then Calibrate your Monitor, and ensure that Elements has its C. M. set up properly, or just join in with the herd of snappers, for whom it is all too much bother, and turn C. M. Off.

Roy G
T
Tequila
Jun 15, 2006
Roy,

Thank you! You were right. I turned off CM and all displays correct. Now I have another question. What am I losing by disabling CM?

Thanks,
Tequila

Roy G wrote:

Thanks,
Tequila

Simple answer, but difficult problem.

Photoshop Elements is a Colour Management Capable Program and few others are.

So the wrong colour display is probably due to C. M. being turned on in Elements.

Your big problem now becomes apparent. Is Elements showing the correct colours and everything else the wrong ones.

You need to get a Monitor Profile and then Calibrate your Monitor, and ensure that Elements has its C. M. set up properly, or just join in with the herd of snappers, for whom it is all too much bother, and turn C. M. Off.
Roy G
RG
Roy G
Jun 15, 2006
Roy,

Thank you! You were right. I turned off CM and all displays correct. Now I have another question. What am I losing by disabling CM?
Thanks,
Tequila
Hi.

Without a correctly set up C. M. system includiing Monitor Profiling, the colours you see on screen, might not be accurate.

If you go to any large computer store, and look at the Monitors, you will notice that each one seems to have a different range of colours from the others. Which one, if any, is showing the correct colours?

The idea of C.M. is to remove these variables from the systems, and to have all systems working to the same set of standards, so that any image will look the same on any Monitor. C. M. is also applied to Printers, Scanners etc, so that Scans and Prints will be consistent.

Without C.M. you can adjust your images, or Monitor so that the colours will be the same as in real life, but you will not know how they would look on any other system. If you send Files away for Printing, and the Printer just prints without any visual examination and colour adjustment, you might not get a correct print back.

Have a read at PS help files or Google for Colour Management, there are a lot of much more accurate descriptions than I can give you.

Roy G

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections