EH
Posted By
Ed_Hannigan
Oct 29, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In that case a spot color channel is probably called for. I’d ask the printer how they want the file set up.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

P
PECourtejoie
Oct 30, 2007
Are you printing yourself on a inkjet printer? or on a press? If it is the former, there are a lot of gold layer styles on the Adobe Exchange (click) < http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?searchfield= gold&search_exchange=16&search_category=197&sear ch_license=&search_rating=&search_platform=0&sea rch_pubdate=&Submit=Search&num=25&startnum=1&amp ;event=search&sort=0>
PT
PATRICIA_TOWNSEND
Oct 30, 2007
Hi, thanks for your reply.I would like to fix a layer with gold text.I would like to then add the layer to the photos that they want their name and year on.I open to any suggestions of other ways to do this. Thanks so much.
JJ
John_Joslin
Oct 30, 2007
You still haven’t answered the question as to how they will be printed.

It makes a difference: if it’s inkjet you have to fake it, if it’s a press you can have a gold spot colour.
PT
PATRICIA_TOWNSEND
Oct 30, 2007
John, It will be printed ink jet.
thank you for your help
P
PeterK.
Oct 30, 2007
Make your text some kind of gold-like colour, something in the range of a warm brown, orange, yellow, and apply the Bevel and Emboss layer style (the small "fx’ icon at the bottom of your layer palette). Then play around with the different gloss contours to get a gold-embossed effect (click on the triangle to bring up more contour options.) Adjust the shadow and hilight colours or opacities to your liking.

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1xiWGVT5Tbg9RpDjGs Ne0Zo9E5fjMQ>
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Oct 31, 2007
Once you have done the gold lettering with Bevel and Emboss, a slight drop shadow can make the gold lettering stand apart from the picture. Make sure you use the same light orientation as you did for the Bevel and Emboss and play with the other settings to see if you find one you like; if not, uncheck it.
PT
PATRICIA_TOWNSEND
Oct 31, 2007
I did all of the above and found something that I like. Thanks to everyone.I hope that it will print as it looks on my monitor.I have tried this before and it looks good on my monitor but the printout looks different that i print on an ink jet printer. I then took it to a photo lab to be printed and it was better than my printout but not the same as my monitor.
Thanks so much
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Oct 31, 2007
Has your monitor been calibrated and profiled?
PT
PATRICIA_TOWNSEND
Oct 31, 2007
Michael, I’m using a cheap monitor.I had the lab tech from where i get some printing done to set my monitor up but i dont think that he did a good job.I dont know enough about setting it up to do it myself.What i print and what they print does not match my monitor.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Oct 31, 2007
You should calibrate your monitor. Even a visual calibration (without a colorimeter) using Norman Koren’s website and/or the free QuickGamma software should improve things. Go to <http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html> and go through all of the steps regarding adjustment and calibration of your monitor’s black level and gamma. For further improvement, download QuickGamma from the link, install, and run. You will get even better results if you buy a colorimeter, which allows you to create a monitor profile. The least expensive one I know of is the Pantone Huey (I haven’t tried it; I use a Monaco Optix XR and its EZColor software).

Once you have taken these steps, you should open an image file in Photoshop. You will find it looks different from before, so make appropriate adjustments and print it. With luck, it will be much closer to your monitor than before. Likewise, prints from the lab will be closer to the way the images looked on your monitor.
P
PECourtejoie
Oct 31, 2007
Patricia, the link I send you to is for free styles that you can add to your text layer, to give it a golden look…
PT
PATRICIA_TOWNSEND
Oct 31, 2007
Thanks for the web address for the styles.I downloaded several of them.I’ve used a couple and they seem to work as well.
Thanks so much
JJ
John_Joslin
Oct 31, 2007
Don’t forget to look at a print before you use the style on the portraits.

The monitor looks a lot more brilliant than a print!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections