SS
Posted By
Sean_Spalding
Oct 24, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ll be happily using PS CS3 then I’ll try to open an image, sometimes just minutes and sometimes days, later and it will fail. Sometimes it’ll be the 1st image I try, sometimes it’ll be the 50th. File size doesn’t seem to be a factor as I mostly work on <1mb images.

I know PS has opened the file as there are no error messages, Filemon shows no read failures and the file then appears in the ‘Recent Files’ list. It just doesn’t display anything.

The only cure is a reboot.

I’ve tried: more RAM (now 2Gb), more video RAM (now 256Mb), reinstall, removing prefs. None have worked. I suspect a WinXP problem but PS is the only software that becomes unusable.

What else can I try?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

G
ghobii
Oct 28, 2007
On Oct 24, 5:29 am, wrote:
I’ll be happily using PS CS3 then I’ll try to open an image, sometimes just minutes and sometimes days, later and it will fail. Sometimes it’ll be the 1st image I try, sometimes it’ll be the 50th. File size doesn’t seem to be a factor as I mostly work on <1mb images.

I know PS has opened the file as there are no error messages, Filemon shows no read failures and the file then appears in the ‘Recent Files’ list. It just doesn’t display anything.

I’ve tried: more RAM (now 2Gb), more video RAM (now 256Mb), reinstall, removing prefs. None have worked. I suspect a WinXP problem but PS is the only software that becomes unusable.

What else can I try?

This sounds like the problem I have been having. The one difference is that i am using Vista so maybe it isn’t the OS that’s the problem. Rebooting used to be a consistent fix but even that doesn’t seem to be true lately.
One weird thing I just discovered is that when I set preferences to open JPGs in camera RAW, they open immediately in the RAW panel but when I try passing it to Photoshop it just hangs on opening still, or if I’m very patient it may open 20-30 minutes later.
TK
Toobi-Won Kenobi
Oct 28, 2007
wrote in message

What else can I try?

How did you remove the prefs file?

TWK

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections