Posted By
Daryl_Pritchard
Oct 23, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello all,

This is not so much a Photoshop question as just being about printing in general, but I’m sure the problem I’m seeing has been observed by others here. And perhaps the answer lies in how to best print from Photoshop to the media in question. My question is illustrated by the photo found at <http://ambress.com/gallery/matte_comparison.jpg>

In this photo of a lion, printing the image to a high-quality archival matte paper (either Epson Velvet Fine Art or Epson Ultrasmooth Fine Art) results in areas where fine detail is lost due to what I’d call "ink blocking". This is most obvious in the medium brown tones of the lion’s mane, yielding what I think of as just looking more "muddy". In contrast, printing to a harder surface matte in the form of Epson Matte Heavyweight (aka Premium Presentation Paper Matte) does not exhibit this behavior and significantly better image detail is found. While I did not print other photos for comparison to what I’ve shown here, what puzzles me is why I do not see such behavior with all color photos printed to the heavier, softer matte papers.

It seems that I generally observe the best results where the image details are defined by a broader change in colors versus a more gradual change. It may also be that a certain color range is more likely to do this than others, raising a question of whether this is an issue of gamut…both of the media and paper, and yet not really having a sufficient understanding of all this to even know if I’m on the right track.

For images that I might potentially sell, I favor the heavier archival matte papers although even the Epson Heavyweight Matte has a high lightfastness rating and typically provides excellent image quality. A co-worker has told me that he has frequently had problems with ink density on the Epson archival matte papers and has never been able to get results he is happy with. Given that I do obtain some very nice images in many cases, I can’t help but think that sometimes the color range and type of detail in an image may actually be more what should govern the choice of print media used? It is just frustrating to see how I can make one print that looks great on a particular media only to turn around and make another print that looks crummy by comparison, and yet really not perceive the types of images being printed as being all that different.

Any suggestions on what is going wrong here, or what I’m missing?

All my printing is done on an Epson R1800 using Epson media profiles and Epson inks, following the approach of letting Photoshop manage the colors and disabling ICM in the print driver, while selecting the same media in both the profile list and in the print driver dialog.

Thanks,

Daryl

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

G
gowanoh
Oct 23, 2007
As you are clearly aware: different paper finishes print differently and matching the image to the paper is part of the art of printing. You might want to try different vendors’ matte papers or even compare results on a lustre or glossy paper.
You also might want to make changes (via layers) to images just prior to printing, such as dialing up lightness or contrast or some other variable that results in a de facto personal paper color profile. If you use an LCD panel often the calibrating device, while matching colors well, cannot completely account for the brightness of the LCD panels and this can result in muddy appearing prints.
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Oct 24, 2007
Remember…Epson profiles are canned…while they are generally ok, you will find images where shadows clog, etc. For $25.00 www.inkjetart.com will create custom profiles for paper, printer and ink and I have found this to be a reasonable way to get a much better profile than the canned Epson profiles. Also for paper manufacturers who do not have ICC profiles, (some Crane and other fine art papers)this service is invaluable.

Also, how much ink are you putting down…With Epsons anything over 360 ppi in the resolution box tends to oversaturate the media (I have seen people use settings of 600-800 in the resolution following the old 2x formula)

Also remember Matte paper does not "firm up" the ink as well as a highly coated paper, so you will get a little bit of "dot gain" on these prints
PF
Peter_Figen
Oct 24, 2007
Custom profiles are definitely the way to go. Don’t know about the one’s mentioned, but do know that chromix.com has people who understand the process better than most and use very good spectrophotometers. Since I make all my own custom profiles, I can say without hesitation that they are much better than the canned versions from Epson, even though Epson’s are much improved.

360 dpi is the native resolution of Epson printers but sending image files with over that resolution does not "oversaturate". It only sends unneeded pixels. It’s the media type setting that controls how much ink is layed down. The 2X formula never applied to inkjets, just offset presses, where it is still more or less valid.

"Also remember Matte paper does not "firm up" the ink as well as a highly coated paper, so you will get a little bit of "dot gain" on these prints "

Ah, yes, but the "dot gain", as it were, it automatically taken into account with the profile, that is, if you measured your target after letting it dry down.

Prints on matte papers just have a different feel than those on gloss or semi-gloss. On my 9800 I like Crane Museo Silver Rag with PhotoK inks for black and whites that want a really rich black. I like Hahnemühle Fine Art Pearl using matte K inks (yes, matte black – nearly twice as black a black) for a really beautiful looking image. I LOVE Somerset Velvet for both black and white and color, but it depends on the image. I really like Hahnemühle Photo Rag for black and white, both of the preceding obviously with Matte K inks. Heavyweight Matte is not bad for a very inexpensive paper but has way too much optical brightener for my taste. Good for test prints and presentations for clients. Cheap.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Oct 24, 2007
4x price difference?

On the 9600, the difference between Somerset Velvet and Enhanced matte was quite obvious. And that was with glossy black only. On the 3800, I am not at all satisfied with Enhanced matte for certain prints but for others, it works quite well. I haven’t tried Somerset yet on the 3800. I have run the Hahn Fine art pearl, and, frankly, their aim to match the look of a silver print surface is well off. Nice paper, but not worth the price. IMO, of course.

I am running the Inkjetart Ceramic Luster, (whose white you probably won’t like Peter!)and it produces dynamite blacks.

But then, I am not married to realism or continuing the look of silver, things like that. I want to know and produce images that cannot be duplicated in any other process, using unique tools that invest the user in untold possibilities.

I think it was John Szarkowski that pointed out that a photograph functions on at least three levels. It is first, and object of beauty unto itself. It is a window to the world. It can be a reflection of the inner self. If an image can function on all three simultaneously, rare and well done! (Think Edward Weston) I expect it to always function on 2 levels, and the demand to be a beautiful object unto itself is number 1.

My standard of beauty in print quality lies first with mezzotint, next with serigraph. I just love looking at them!

I haven’t matched that in inkjet work….yet!
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Oct 30, 2007
Michael,

Now that I’m back home and able to check the Epson R1800’s driver options, I find that there is no numeric DPI options available. But, R1800 documentation does cite that the "Photo" quality setting is 1440×720 DPI, "Best Photo" is 1440×1440 DPI, and "Photo RPM" is 5760×1440 DPI. In the case of the Ultramooth Fine Art media choice, the quality options are only Best Photo and Photo RPM, but selection of the Velvet Fine Art expands this to include Photo as well. So, if my Ultrasmooth seems to be blocking up and I stick to the canned Epson profiles, it may be that my only way of reducing the ink density is to choose a paper type of Velvet so that I can then choose Photo quality…..

Well, doing so with one print I was curious about does seem to possibly have helped, but I’m still going to explore the custom profile route with the assistance of a co-worker using his PrintFix system to build a profile for me.

Thanks again everyone,

Daryl

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections