Photoshop CS3 Crashes with large images.

TT
Posted By
Terry_Taller
Oct 22, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This is becoming a large pain and it still isn’t resolved.

When I open a large JPG photo in CS3, it crashes after about 90 seconds (the images is about 41" wide). This does not happen when with a same sized imaged opened in Adobe Camera RAW. However, as soon as I "open object"–crash!

I take the same 41" JPG image and open it in Corel’s Paint Shop Photo and reduce its size to 8", save it, and then open it in CS3, all is well.

I have tried everything–different scratch disks, changing how much memory CS3 uses, deleting the appdata–nothing works.

It is a pain to have to use a $50 program to change the size of an image so I can use it in a megadollar program.

Can somebody, somewhere figure this out?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Oct 23, 2007
What are the pixel dimensions of the image? Inches don’t mean anything with respect to digital images until you are at the printing stage.
TT
Terry_Taller
Oct 23, 2007
Hi Michael
3900 x 2600
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 23, 2007
That is not a large image by any means. Try resetting the Preferences (see the FAQs). Corrupted prefs can cause all sorts of problems.
TT
Terry_Taller
Oct 23, 2007
I tried that and it didn’t work. I assume the Preferences referred to are in Application Data/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS3?? I’ve tried deleting that folder (and subfolders) time and time again.

Does it make any sense that there could be a problem having other versions of Photoshop and Photoshop Elements on the same machine?
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Oct 24, 2007
What kind of camera takes the photos? Have they been processed in other software before you have trouble opening them in PS?

I have a Panasonic that produces images that are 10MP, similar to yours, and neither the RAWs nor the JPEGs poses any problems. You might try doing a repair installation to see if that helps.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections