C
Posted By
colethompson
Oct 22, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have found three small changes made to the CS3 File Manager that have caused me a loss in productivity. These three items are not bugs, but appear to be simply a change in the way the file manager now operates, for example:

File Open: My directories are start with a date (eg: 2007-10-22) so I can quickly access directories chronoligically. CS3 now orders 2007-10-22 before 2007-6-1, unlike older versions and almost all other file manager programs. Now you have to search around the directory tree to find your October folders because the order is no longer chronological. This results in lost productivty.

File Save As: If you go to save a file and add the path to the file name, the File Manager now tells you that you’ve used illegal characters in the file name. You must take your hands off the keyboard and use the mouse to navigate to the proper directory before saving it. Lost productivity.

File Save: If you want to change your file type from TIFF to JPEG, you used to be able to go to the format window, type J and it would jump to JPEG and POW, you’re done. Now you must take your hands off the keyboard, select JPEG with the mouse and then save the file. Lost productivity!

As I said, these are not bugs, but I do want to let Adobe know that these small changes have resulted in a loss of productivity and for no apparent good reason.

I am unable to locate a way to give feedback to Adobe. Does anyone know a way to do this?

Thanks.

Cole Thompson
ColeThompsonPhotography.com

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JJ
John_Joslin
Oct 22, 2007
What is this "File Manager" of which you speak?
C
colethompson
Oct 22, 2007
It is the file managing system that Photoshop uses to save and open files. Similar to "Window’s Explorer" in Windows.

It is the program that pops up when you are in Photoshop and click File, Open.

Cole
JJ
John_Joslin
Oct 22, 2007
Unless you have selected "Use Adobe Dialog", that is the OS Open Dialog! It uses OS default behaviour.

Your problems are a bit hard to follow/reproduce but in any case, why don’t you use the file management application that Adobe does provide? It is called Bridge.
JC
Joel_Castillo
Oct 22, 2007
Cole, the behavior you seek is available when you use the O.S. dialog and NOT the Adobe Dialog.

At the file "management window" simply press "Use OS Dialog" at the lower left corner. Once this is done, the behavior you describe is available.

Hope this helps. Joel
C
colethompson
Oct 22, 2007
Thank you John and Joel! I was not aware of this option (Use OS Dialog) and CS3 is now back to working the way I am used to!

Thanks.

Cole

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections