JB
Posted By
Jani_Bryson
Oct 20, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have some studio shots using a gray background. I use both Lightroom and Photoshop CS2. Although shot at 100 ISO, the gray areas at times require noise reduction, which I handle with a Nik plug in. Although the final image looks great in the PSD format, when I convert to JPEG, the gray areas develp what looks like a pink rash when viewed at 100%.

Are there special settings and/or procedures that can be done prior to, or during, the JPEG conversion to eliminate this undesirable effect?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RK
Rob_Keijzer
Oct 20, 2007
Jani,

At what compression rate do you generate the Jpeg? I mean the quality setting.

Also, convert the file to sRGB from whatever it is now (Edit – Convert).

Can you show an example at a 100% crop of the effect?

<http://www.pixentral.com/>

After uploading the image right click in the HTML code below your image, choose "Select All", right click again,choose "Copy".

Then back here paste (Ctl-V) the code in your reply.

Rob
JB
Jani_Bryson
Oct 20, 2007
Thank you for your response!

I am using maximum quality setting of 12 (is that compression rate?), and I am using Prophoto RGB as the color space in Photoshop (is that a problem?).

The JPEG example is here:

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1VHFgIjmityGzwuBTm fvIZH5Ukxb Av>

I’m sorry I can’t include the pre-compression example (PDS format), as I don’t think it will be readable on line.

Your assistance is GREATLY appreciated, as I am tearing my hair out. Also, I have a Canon 1D Mark III, and I cannot figure out why I always have noise in the darker tonal ranges even at ISO 100.
JB
Jani_Bryson
Oct 20, 2007
I
ID._Awe
Oct 20, 2007
Jani:

I do not see the ‘pink rash’ but if you are seeing it then you did not use a pure grey as a background, it is difficult to discern sometimes.

Have you used the eyedropper tool on the background in PS to make sure the background has equal values of RGB?
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Oct 21, 2007
I didn’t see the pink rash either. Using the eyedropper in the Firefox Colorzilla extension, your gray background didn’t seem to have higher numbers for red in the pixels I looked at; R and G were usually equal, while B was a bit lower, so it isn’t a completely pure, neutral gray. I’d venture that your monitor needs to be re-profiled.
JB
Jani_Bryson
Oct 21, 2007
Thanks for the help on this. Did you open up the image and look at 100%?

I can’t see it in my laptop, even at 100%, but my desktop has a large monitor and that’s where I see it.

I use the Spyder2 Pro for monitor profiling. I will recalibrate and see if that helps.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Oct 21, 2007
I viewed it in Firefox on a 21" monitor, both full-size (100%) and zoomed up to 400%. Just now I pasted it into Photoshop and viewed it at 100% and many other zoom levels. No redness at all.
JB
Jani_Bryson
Oct 21, 2007
Thank you, thank you, for giving it such thorough scrutiny. It must be my monitor, I will look into it in the next day or so.

On another note, did you find it to be overfiltered? I am really struggling with noise issues in that particular gray background, as well as some darker areas in my images. I am a stock photographer, and noise as well as overfiltering are big no-no’s.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Oct 21, 2007
The background looked a bit like it was over-NR’d, in that there were fairly large swathes of the same RGB, rather than a bit of noise that looks more random. Kind of watercolor-looking. A small bit of noise looks more natural.
BD
Brett_Dalton
Oct 22, 2007
What monitor are you working on, it may be dithering to produce full 24bit colours if it’s a Mac book Pro. Also Jpg compression can cause this sort of colour shift if neutrals but it’s pretty unusual without LOTS of compression.

BRETT
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Oct 22, 2007
Also Jpg compression can cause this sort of colour shift

But then we would see it on the example.

I too think it’s monitor calibration/profiling.

Rob

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections