Posted By
Kris
Jan 8, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi All,

I’m using Photoshop Elements 4.0 on Windows XP and I’m having a little bit of trouble with image orientation/rotation that I’m hoping someone can help with.

For images that were taken with the camera sideways (i.e. portrait), it appears as if the orientation of the image is different in PSE Organizer as opposed to Windows Explorer. What I mean by this is that the image appears with the correct orientation in PSE Organizer (i.e. the person’s head is right side up) but the incorrect orientation in Explorer (i.e. the person’s head is sideways).

Is there any way to get PSE to display the same orientation as Explorer so that I can use PSE to rotate the image? This way both PSE and Explorer would have the same orientation.

Sorry if I’ve done a poor job of explaining my problem but this was the best way I could think of describing it.

Thanks,
Kris

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

TN
Tesco News
Jan 9, 2006
"Kris" wrote in message
Hi All,

I’m using Photoshop Elements 4.0 on Windows XP and I’m having a little bit of trouble with image orientation/rotation that I’m hoping someone can help with.

For images that were taken with the camera sideways (i.e. portrait), it appears as if the orientation of the image is different in PSE Organizer as opposed to Windows Explorer. What I mean by this is that the image appears with the correct orientation in PSE Organizer (i.e. the person’s head is right side up) but the incorrect orientation in Explorer (i.e. the person’s head is sideways).

Is there any way to get PSE to display the same orientation as Explorer so that I can use PSE to rotate the image? This way both PSE and Explorer would have the same orientation.

Sorry if I’ve done a poor job of explaining my problem but this was the best way I could think of describing it.

Thanks,
Kris

Hi.

The very best way to eliminate this irritating problem, is to turn off the "correct orientation" (or whatever they call it) in the Camera Menu.

You then get to see a larger image in the Preview Screen as well. It is really easy to permanently rotate the images in any Photo Program.

Roy G
K
Kris
Jan 10, 2006
Thank you for the response Roy – I’ve disabled the option in my camera menu so that I won’t have this problem in the future. Is there anything that I can do with my existing photos to correct them?

Thanks again,
Kris
JM
Joseph Meehan
Jan 10, 2006
Kris wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks,
Kris

It would appear your camera is saving the orientation with the photo file and Elements is reading it.

I have not tried it, but I would tend to believe that if you do a save as from Elements, it will save the photo in proper orientation. I suggest you save it as a JPEG file with a new name. Try opening that up with the Window’s viewer.

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
TN
Tesco News
Jan 10, 2006
"Kris" wrote in message
Hi All,

Thanks,
Kris

Hi again.

I am not too sure about this, because I disabled that Camera Option from day

Probably do as J Meehan suggests, open, rotate to correct orientation, and then Save As, but if you just use the same file name, it should over-write the original.

However, the Exif data may still hold the "rotate" instruction from the camera, so in some programs it could get rotated back, in which case it might well be worth changing the file name, by adding a -1.

If that does solve the problem completely, it is then a simple matter to delete the originals and change the corrected version names back to the original names.

Roy G

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections