IH
Posted By
i.hatecomputers
Oct 17, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am replacing my old Dell and have heard that many artists use apple/mac’s. What do the mac’s do that a pc doesn’t? The power/hz are much lower on macs, is there something I don’t know?
thanks

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Bryce
Oct 17, 2003
Oh, no. Macs are so, so bad.

"J & D GOLD" wrote in message
I am replacing my old Dell and have heard that many artists use
apple/mac’s.
What do the mac’s do that a pc doesn’t? The power/hz are much lower on macs, is there something I don’t know?
thanks

S
Stephan
Oct 17, 2003
apple/mac’s.
What do the mac’s do that a pc doesn’t? The power/hz are much lower on macs, is there something I don’t know?
thanks

No difference, it’s just a tool anyway.
It is like asking if Ford is better than Chevy or Nikon better than Canon.

Stephan
B
Bryce
Oct 17, 2003
"Stephan" wrote in message
apple/mac’s.
thanks

Stephan

You know though that I could dig a ditch better with a shovel than I could with a spoon; even though they are both tools for scooping. 🙂
JC
James Connell
Oct 17, 2003
J & D GOLD wrote:
I am replacing my old Dell and have heard that many artists use apple/mac’s. What do the mac’s do that a pc doesn’t? The power/hz are much lower on macs, is there something I don’t know?
thanks

you’re making the mistake most computer users make – assuming clock speed = power. it’s only a valid comparision between identical processors – and even then a machine that has twice the clock speed isn’t ( nessesarily ) twice as fast!

as was said – it’s like ford and chevy, except you can get more accessories for the chevy 😉
H
Hecate
Oct 17, 2003
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 20:26:57 GMT, "J & D GOLD" wrote:

I am replacing my old Dell and have heard that many artists use apple/mac’s. What do the mac’s do that a pc doesn’t?

Nothing.

The power/hz are much lower on
macs, is there something I don’t know?

No. It doesn’t matter.

Buy what suits you and what you’re comfortable with – the only difference between a Mac and a PC is that peopl;e who use Macs shout louder because they’re in the minority. ;-

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
BK
Barefoot Kid
Oct 18, 2003
there are more games for the pc 🙂
—————————————————
Hung Diep
New Media Designer
www.intro-spect.co.uk
0795 6576 319

| I am replacing my old Dell and have heard that many artists use apple/mac’s. | What do the mac’s do that a pc doesn’t? The power/hz are much lower on | macs, is there something I don’t know?
| thanks
|
|
D
Derek
Oct 18, 2003
in my experience PC’s are better, but its all in opinion

J & D GOLD wrote:
thanks

NS
Not so quick
Oct 18, 2003
apple/mac’s.
thanks

Honestly, I changed my mind about what I was
going to write as I started. I’ve had experience
with both. I started with mac way back in graphic
design school. It was a good machine and very
much better than a PC at the time. Even though
I use PC now, I would have recommended the
Mac until I bought XP. The MAC doesn’t have
the added complication of registry files and never
did. The PC copied windows from the MAC and
didn’t pay them a dime (but MAC got the idea
from Xerox). There is a fairly reliable rumor going
around that MAC is going to an Intel chip anyway.

Bottom line. MAC has always been better until
XP. Now Photoshop runs just as well on the PC,
even with the added complications that the PC
has had to do to try to emulate MAC options.
The speed does matter in some applications but
probably not Photoshop. Animation and MPEG
encoding or video editing yes. Buy the PC because
it is cheaper and faster but not quite as stable,
but very close.

I haven’t used a MAC for a while and some of this
is second hand (10%) but maybe someone with a
real handle can upgrade this info, but it is honest
and I don’t have any reason to choose one over
the other just because that’s what I have or what
I’m used to.
MR
Mike Russell
Oct 18, 2003
J & D GOLD wrote:
I am replacing my old Dell and have heard that many artists use apple/mac’s. What do the mac’s do that a pc doesn’t? The power/hz are much lower on macs, is there something I don’t know? thanks

PC’s are machines. Mac’s are sculptures. If the difference between the two, is not important to you, save your money and get a PC.

Mike Russell
http://www.curvemeister.com
http://www.zocalo.net/~mgr
http://geigy.2y.net
S
Stewy
Oct 18, 2003
"Mike Russell" wrote in message
J & D GOLD wrote:
I am replacing my old Dell and have heard that many artists use apple/mac’s. What do the mac’s do that a pc doesn’t? The power/hz are much lower on macs, is there something I don’t know? thanks

PC’s are machines. Mac’s are sculptures. If the difference between the two, is not important to you, save your money and get a PC.
Macs are just as clunky as PCs, but in different ways and you, the consumer are acting as unwilling beta testers with OSX. Also if you have Photoshop for Windows you’ll have to pay Adobe all over again to get a Mac version.
J
jrzyguy
Oct 18, 2003
well…back in the day…most of the advanced graphics, multimedia and vid programs were strictly mac based….but nowadays that is not a factor.

I am pretty happy with my old reliable…and more affordable dell.

IMHO
jj

apple/mac’s.
thanks

U
Uni
Oct 18, 2003
J & D GOLD wrote:
I am replacing my old Dell and have heard that many artists use apple/mac’s.

From the way Apple is accelerating with their graphics, I’d say get an Apple.

Uni

thanks

G
gmcgeorge
Oct 18, 2003
From my personal, and recent experience I do not recommend Macintosh for photo editing/graphics if you are already doing so successfully with a PC. Last year I fell for the Apple ad campaign and bought an iMac G4 800mhz with the 17" LCD screen, 80 gig drive, dvd burner, etc. (I did not want to gamble on Mac by purchasing a far more expensive workstation-based unit, glad I didn’t.) My plan was to move all photo editing & printing off of my PC workstation/server. Aside from all the other OS-based frustrations with the thing, I could never get an acceptable screen to print color match. After months of frustration I finally sold the thing before I lost even more money on it. Don’t get me wrong here, it has a number of neat functions and in particular, its ability to network effortlessly is impressive. I was very disappointed it didn’t work out, as I’m no fan of Bill Gate’s empire.

At this point in time there is no advantage to Apple’s Colorsync technology over Microsoft’s ICM, and more to the point, Photoshop operates virtually identically on the PC as is does on Mac.

But that, and the very sizeable cost of changing over, there are even bigger reasons not to make this switch. Apple has abandoned their old OS. Apple’s new OSX is a bug riddled nightmare. Going all the way back to Windows 3.1, I’ve never had more trouble with an operating system than I did with OSX. More specific to our pursuits, Epson’s OSX print drivers are deficient compared to the ones for Wintel and the old OS9. OSX does not use the Twain interface, so as I understand it, OSX prints directly from the OS. To date OSX print drivers lack full print functionality compared to Wintel or OS9.

PS, I can’t tell if I’d replied previously to your post or not, my local ISP’s news server went down for a few days and I’m just catching up.

"Derek" wrote in message
in my experience PC’s are better, but its all in opinion
J & D GOLD wrote:
apple/mac’s.
thanks
F
Flatcat
Oct 18, 2003
Bully billy arrives at the beach with his huge gas guzzling suv and plastic shovel.
Steve arrives barefoot on bike with his carefully crafted golden spoon.

"Let’s build sand castles" "OK" the two agree.

After seventeen suv trips to the local seashore supply store full of coughing customers, to re-supply his broken shovels, bully billy boasts that he has the biggest castle. "And it’s closest to the water", he exclaims!

"I love your waves" says Steve, "I love how they crash." "I’m very proud", says Bill.

Later, that evening, with the tide now full, a couple walk hand in hand by the water’s edge beneath the full moon reflecting upon the now quiet sea. "Look at that beautiful sandcastle, how innately carved…I love the way the moon’s shadows play upon it’s crevasses" she says. "Yes, it’s very well crafted", he says as he nearly trips upon an unseen small mound of sand eroded beside the ebbing tide.

and within two or three sets, that mound will be compeletly Flat

Bryce wrote:

apple/mac’s.
thanks

Stephan

You know though that I could dig a ditch better with a shovel than I could with a spoon; even though they are both tools for scooping. 🙂
F
Frogiswrong
Oct 19, 2003
clearly you dont yet know that mac’s are shit…
no offence.

apple/mac’s.
thanks

F
Frogiswrong
Oct 19, 2003
sorry didn’t mean to email you. apologies

apple/mac’s.
thanks

G
gmcgeorge
Oct 19, 2003
What do the mac’s do that a pc doesn’t? The power/hz are much lower on
macs, is there something I don’t know? <<

At this point in time Mac has no advantage over a PC. That was not the case many years ago and as a result graphics pros began to use Mac workstations, eventually making them a virtual standard for that industry. However, by now Wintel has more than caught up. It was inevitable that 95% of the platforms out there would have to perform at least as well as the Mac.

Where photo editing is concerned, some wags, like David Brooks of Shutterbug, still tout the Mac, and you’ll notice that even Photoshop User seems to default to the Mac (OSX) screen when showing examples. We’re finding more & more photographers using PCs simply because they’re just as effective and a lot less expensive to manage. Pick your poison, or so they say, but the playing field’s level now and as a result, if you already use a PC and are living in the PC world as far as systems go, there’s no reason to switch.
U
Uni
Oct 19, 2003
Gerald G. McGeorge wrote:
What do the mac’s do that a pc doesn’t? The power/hz are much lower on

macs, is there something I don’t know? <<

At this point in time Mac has no advantage over a PC.

Like heck there isn’t. For example, Apple is accelerating with their LCD monitors, while PC owners are receiving LCD’s from yesterday’s news.

Uni

That was not the case
many years ago and as a result graphics pros began to use Mac workstations, eventually making them a virtual standard for that industry. However, by now Wintel has more than caught up. It was inevitable that 95% of the platforms out there would have to perform at least as well as the Mac.
Where photo editing is concerned, some wags, like David Brooks of Shutterbug, still tout the Mac, and you’ll notice that even Photoshop User seems to default to the Mac (OSX) screen when showing examples. We’re finding more & more photographers using PCs simply because they’re just as effective and a lot less expensive to manage. Pick your poison, or so they say, but the playing field’s level now and as a result, if you already use a PC and are living in the PC world as far as systems go, there’s no reason to switch.

S
Stephan
Oct 19, 2003
"Mike Russell" wrote in message
J & D GOLD wrote:

There are beautiful cases you can buy to replace the beige ones. You can even make your own if it is so important to you.

Stephan
TF
Tom Ferguson
Oct 19, 2003
I generally just "smirk" at these conversations. Do painters divide themselve by brush brand? Sculptures by chisle brand? Yes, it really is that silly for the consumers and/or artists.

IF you are a pro photographer and/or designer (or want to be) I’ll suggest that you talk to your suppliers (clients, printers) and see what THEY are comfortable with. THAT should be your deciding factor. In Los Angeles (California) the vast majority of my suppliers prefferd Mac files.

Me, I use both platforms. I own Macs, but have a few clients with PCs that I use regularly. They are all just tools, get over it!
H
Hecate
Oct 20, 2003
On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 22:37:08 GMT, Tom Ferguson
wrote:

I generally just "smirk" at these conversations. Do painters divide themselve by brush brand? Sculptures by chisle brand? Yes, it really is that silly for the consumers and/or artists.

IF you are a pro photographer and/or designer (or want to be) I’ll suggest that you talk to your suppliers (clients, printers) and see what THEY are comfortable with. THAT should be your deciding factor. In Los Angeles (California) the vast majority of my suppliers prefferd Mac files.

Me, I use both platforms. I own Macs, but have a few clients with PCs that I use regularly. They are all just tools, get over it!

The only slight disagreement I’d have with that is if you’re starting out and don’t actually have any clients. Then, it’s a case of use what you’re happiest using, what you’re used to – you’ll be far more productive that way.

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
G
gmcgeorge
Oct 20, 2003
Amen!

"Tom Ferguson" wrote in message

S
Stephan
Oct 20, 2003

Since we are in a Photoshop group, what do you call a Mac file? Being a Photographer I know Jpeg, PSD, Tiff…

Stephan
TF
Tom Ferguson
Oct 20, 2003
Good point. Most photo files are completely cross platform (so who the &%^$%# cares what computer you buy/use). I did say "pro photographer and/or designer", as a lot of my photography goes out in Quark files the format and font type matters to my client/printers. That doesn’t mean one platform is better (technically), just that one platform was easier for me as a business in Southern California. In the future, as PDFs take over, there will be less of an issue 🙂

BIG NOTE: that may be differant where you are. If this (pro work) is in your present/future I was suggesting you check YOUR suppliers and customers, not blindly follow my lead. Yes, I use, like, and trust Macs. I’ve grown up with them. I do like them. My next computer will be a new G4 laptop. I just don’t think that (or the PCs) should be anything near a religion!

If I was a wedding photog and photographic prints were my final product, there wouldn’t be a preffered platform.

In article <4MJkb.57659$>, Stephan
wrote:

Since we are in a Photoshop group, what do you call a Mac file? Being a Photographer I know Jpeg, PSD, Tiff…

Stephan

JW
Joanne Weston
Oct 20, 2003
With regard to the whole mac/pc debate, heres my tuppenceworth –

I started out on pcs but had to learn the mac from scratch when I went to work for a print company. Geez what a struggle it was to start with. Now I can say that I can get by with a mac but am no expert, and have come to these conclusions.

1. And the main one – fonts 60 per cent of clients bringing in files have font problems. Over the years we have amassed a large library of fonts but if the customer has not included them with their files, chances are we will have a problem.
2. On the pc Illustrator loads all the fonts it needs so they are all available. On the mac you have to load them manually – I was using Suitcase for this though there may be a better font management program out there.
3. Illustrator had frequent memory problems (there should not have been, as
there was plenty memory) and photoshop had scratch disk problems – partly our fault as the hard disk had been partitioned into three and had stuff stored on all partitions.
4. Multitasking – this my have changed with OSX but the mac just would not do two things at once.

Its possible that all these things are surmountable but together with all the other small quirks the mac is just too much of a hassle to use. I’ve heard lots of times that the mac is more fun to use and its faster – let me put it this way if you had to check your cars oil, fuel, brake fluid, windscreen wash fluid EVERY time you had to drive your car you’d get pretty pissed off no matter how fun the drive was. The bottom line is no-one likes microsofts stranglehold on things, but until theres a better option…..

Matt
apple/mac’s.
thanks

W
Waldo
Oct 20, 2003
you’re making the mistake most computer users make – assuming clock speed = power. it’s only a valid comparision between identical processors – and even then a machine that has twice the clock speed isn’t ( nessesarily ) twice as fast!

Absolutely true, but in all benchmarks even the G5 is much slower than a P4 or Amd Athlon. It is dependent what the processor is doing, of course.

Also, price is an important factor.

Waldo
E
Eliska
Oct 20, 2003
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:23:58 +0100, "Joanne Weston" wrote:

The bottom line is no-one likes
microsofts stranglehold on things, but until theres a better option…..

Why does everyone talk about Microsoft’s stranglehold on things when Apple has a similar situation?

If you own a Mac, you have to buy all new programs for the Mac. If you want to upgrade, you have to buy Mac components. Macs have a lot less software available to them. And you have no choice in what you pay for a Mac – short of a paltry student discount, Macs are price fixed.

I’m not judging Mac vs PC performance here – just pointing out that IMO, Mac is much worse than PC’s in this one area.
E
Eliska
Oct 20, 2003

Actually, artists do debate the qualities of their tools – which brush holds more paint,which brand chisel maintains a sharper edge, which surface accepts the medium more easily, what pigment remains lightfast.

They assess the pros and cons of mediums – oil takes longer to dry and can be corrected more easily than watercolor – watercolor is very difficult to control, acrylic dries to quickly.

Artists identify themselves as oil painters, watercolorists, etc.

And consumers judge artists accordingly – watercolor and artist grade pencil colors aren’t considered as worthy as an oil painting or sculpture. A hand made quilt is a lowly ‘craft’ while a painting done on fabric (canvas is a fabric) is ‘art’.

They just have a lot more categories to choose from than Mac or PC : )
JW
Joanne Weston
Oct 20, 2003
If mac users have same problems as pc users as far as Apple is concerned then there is even less choice than I had imagined, though I haven’t heard of Apple going balls out to annihilate small companies who would end up making a tiny profit compared to microsofts billions – something that really stinks. Macs do seem hideously expensive – I’m thinking of setting up in business and considered a mac "just in case" but the cost of a mac plus all the software I would need made it unthinkable.

"Eliska" wrote in message

Why does everyone talk about Microsoft’s stranglehold on things when Apple has a similar situation?

If you own a Mac, you have to buy all new programs for the Mac. If you want to upgrade, you have to buy Mac components. Macs have a lot less software available to them. And you have no choice in what you pay for a Mac – short of a paltry student discount, Macs are price fixed.
I’m not judging Mac vs PC performance here – just pointing out that IMO, Mac is much worse than PC’s in this one area.
G
gmcgeorge
Oct 20, 2003
Indeed, Stephan, that’s the point. PS output is the same regardless of platform. Managing image files on PC or Mac is simply a matter of choice and the network you’re dealing with. As more & more graphics houses move over to PCs this whole issue becomes moot.

Stephan

G
gmcgeorge
Oct 20, 2003
Amen, Joanne…

"Joanne Weston" wrote in message
With regard to the whole mac/pc debate, heres my tuppenceworth –
I started out on pcs but had to learn the mac from scratch when I went to work for a print company. Geez what a struggle it was to start with. Now I can say that I can get by with a mac but am no expert, and have come to these conclusions.

1. And the main one – fonts 60 per cent of clients bringing in files have font problems. Over the years we have amassed a large library of fonts but if the customer has not included them with their files, chances are we
will
have a problem.
2. On the pc Illustrator loads all the fonts it needs so they are all available. On the mac you have to load them manually – I was using
Suitcase
for this though there may be a better font management program out there.
3. Illustrator had frequent memory problems (there should not have been,
as
there was plenty memory) and photoshop had scratch disk problems – partly our fault as the hard disk had been partitioned into three and had stuff stored on all partitions.
4. Multitasking – this my have changed with OSX but the mac just would not do two things at once.

Its possible that all these things are surmountable but together with all the other small quirks the mac is just too much of a hassle to use. I’ve heard lots of times that the mac is more fun to use and its faster – let
me
put it this way if you had to check your cars oil, fuel, brake fluid, windscreen wash fluid EVERY time you had to drive your car you’d get
pretty
pissed off no matter how fun the drive was. The bottom line is no-one
Matt
apple/mac’s.
thanks

G
gmcgeorge
Oct 20, 2003
Good point, when we got our G4 last year every current program we used had to be re-purchased, PS, Office, etc. Then, every time Apple upgraded the (IMHO horrid) OSX operating system, things started to crash until the respective vendors updated their code. Our G4 had both OSX and OS9 loaded, so we tried moving to the older system, only to find it couldn’t chew gum and walk at the same time….PUNT!!!!

If mac users have same problems as pc users as far as Apple is concerned then there is even less choice than I had imagined, though I haven’t heard of Apple going balls out to annihilate small companies who would end up making a tiny profit compared to microsofts billions – something that
really
stinks. Macs do seem hideously expensive – I’m thinking of setting up in business and considered a mac "just in case" but the cost of a mac plus
all
the software I would need made it unthinkable.

"Eliska" wrote in message

microsofts stranglehold on things, but until theres a better
option…..

TM
The Magician
Oct 20, 2003
In article <8PQkb.11437$>,
says…

… though I haven’t heard of Apple going balls out to annihilate small companies who would end up making a tiny profit compared to microsofts billions – something that really stinks.

Oh really…?
Just to get a bit off topic…I’m really tired hearing people WHINE incessantly about "da big, bad Microsoft" being a monopoly, making it hard for smaller companies, putting out shoddy products, putting out software with bugs…yadda-yadda-yadda-yadda….
Guess what…?
It’s called CAPITALISM.
It’s called…BUSINESS.
It’s been going on since the first frickin’ caveman traded furs… and will continue to go on until the end of time.
Steel, media, advertising, automotives, plastics, electronics, WALL St., other software manufacturers, and ANY OTHER business that has become as sucessful as Microsoft has fucked SOMEBODY over to get on top SOMEPLACE along the line…and is guilty of the same damn crap.
So get da fuck OVER IT once and for all!!!
And to put my two cents in about Macs…
Guess what…?
All dat PR Apple sells you is BULLSHIT.
Fuck the "hardware/processor clocking arguements" etc…it’s all relative, and you don’t need a rocket engine to put out 2D graphics. Software for Mac is limited.
Don’t believe me…walk into any CompUSA, etc., and count the number of software/game aisles there are for Macs compared to PC’s. You’re not anymore "creative" or put out any better product on a MAC. (despite what Jeff Goldblum would have you think…)
They aren’t ANY easier or "intuitive" to use (if you’ve never used one). Macs CRASH…a lot.
And despite all da "warm & fuzziness"…
Steven Jobs is just as evil as Bill Gates.
(just a few bucks shyer)
It’s all just a matter of what you learned on first and are more adept at, and a matter of taste.
(I kinda like da new Jetsons-type swivel thingy Mac has put out recently…I may just get me one ‘o dem! Maybe not.)
They’re both computers that work OK…most of the time.
ANYTHING you can do on a Mac…you can do just as well or better on a PC. (and vice versa for arguments sake.)
The only difference is in the people who use them.
MAC addicts are self-important, snobby, pompous assholes, who are holding onto "Old School" misconceptions, and who are too DUMB to use a real computer…that’s all.
That’s it.
End of story.
Anyone needing to comment on my post can eat shit and bark at the moon.

Class dismissed.
The Magician

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~ "There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here…
it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened." -Douglas Adams
S
Stephan
Oct 20, 2003
If mac users have same problems as pc users as far as Apple is concerned then there is even less choice than I had imagined, though I haven’t heard of Apple going balls out to annihilate small companies who would end up making a tiny profit compared to microsofts billions – something that
really
stinks. Macs do seem hideously expensive – I’m thinking of setting up in business and considered a mac "just in case" but the cost of a mac plus
all
That is where the Mac people tell you: Yes but on the long run it is cheaper because you don’t need maintenance.
And, you don’t get viruses.

It is true in a sense, no maintenance: The Macs at my kids school don’t cost anything to repair, they just die and bye bye.
Changing a board on a iMac costs the price of a new machine! As for viruses, I have a PC but that doesn’t mean I am stupid enough to open an attachment with a dangerous extension.
JW
Joanne Weston
Oct 21, 2003
Business is about having a better product than the competition, better marketing etc not about having worse morals – It Doesn’t matter what you call it, wrong is still wrong. People who think business is just business are the reason the world is going down the tubes. It’s also the reason that Microsoft have been in and out of court for years.

Matt.
"The Magician" wrote in message
says…

… though I haven’t heard of Apple going balls out to annihilate small
companies who would end up
making a tiny profit compared to microsofts billions – something that
really stinks.
Oh really…?
Just to get a bit off topic…I’m really tired hearing people WHINE incessantly about "da big, bad Microsoft" being a monopoly, making it hard for smaller companies, putting out shoddy products, putting out software with bugs…yadda-yadda-yadda-yadda….
Guess what…?
It’s called CAPITALISM.
It’s called…BUSINESS.
It’s been going on since the first frickin’ caveman traded furs… and will continue to go on until the end of time.
Steel, media, advertising, automotives, plastics, electronics, WALL St., other software manufacturers, and ANY OTHER business that has become as sucessful as Microsoft has fucked SOMEBODY over to get on top SOMEPLACE along the line…and is guilty of the same damn crap.
Guess what…?
Fuck the "hardware/processor clocking arguements" etc…it’s all relative, and you don’t need a rocket engine to put out 2D graphics. Software for Mac is limited.
Don’t believe me…walk into any CompUSA, etc., and count the number of software/game aisles there are for Macs compared to PC’s. You’re not anymore "creative" or put out any better product on a MAC. (despite what Jeff Goldblum would have you think…)
They aren’t ANY easier or "intuitive" to use (if you’ve never used one). Macs CRASH…a lot.
(just a few bucks shyer)
It’s all just a matter of what you learned on first and are more adept at, and a matter of taste.
(I kinda like da new Jetsons-type swivel thingy Mac has put out recently…I may just get me one ‘o dem! Maybe not.)
ANYTHING you can do on a Mac…you can do just as well or better on a PC. (and vice versa for arguments sake.)
MAC addicts are self-important, snobby, pompous assholes, who are holding onto "Old School" misconceptions, and who are too DUMB to use a real computer…that’s all.
That’s it.
End of story.
Class dismissed.
The Magician

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~ "There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here…
it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened." -Douglas Adams
R
Roberto
Oct 21, 2003
Face it the only reason the Macs don’t get hit with a bunch of virii isn’t because the OS is immune from such things it is because there aren’t enough Macs in use to make it worth the virii programmers time and effort. They want major headaches not a hiccup.

John

If mac users have same problems as pc users as far as Apple is concerned then there is even less choice than I had imagined, though I haven’t
heard
of Apple going balls out to annihilate small companies who would end up making a tiny profit compared to microsofts billions – something that
really
all
That is where the Mac people tell you: Yes but on the long run it is
cheaper
because you don’t need maintenance.
And, you don’t get viruses.

It is true in a sense, no maintenance: The Macs at my kids school don’t
cost
anything to repair, they just die and bye bye.
Changing a board on a iMac costs the price of a new machine! As for viruses, I have a PC but that doesn’t mean I am stupid enough to
open
an attachment with a dangerous extension.

S
Stephan
Oct 21, 2003
"nospam" wrote in message
Face it the only reason the Macs don’t get hit with a bunch of virii isn’t because the OS is immune from such things it is because there aren’t
enough
Macs in use to make it worth the virii programmers time and effort. They want major headaches not a hiccup.

Absolutely.

Stephan
NS
Not so quick
Oct 22, 2003
Business is about having a better product than the competition, better marketing etc not about having worse morals – It Doesn’t matter what you call it, wrong is still wrong. People who think business is just business are the reason the world is going down the tubes. It’s also the reason
that
Microsoft have been in and out of court for years.

Matt.
"The Magician" wrote in message
says…

… though I haven’t heard of Apple going balls out to annihilate
small
companies who would end up
making a tiny profit compared to microsofts billions – something that
really stinks.
Oh really…?
Guess what…?
It’s called CAPITALISM.
It’s called…BUSINESS.
Guess what…?
(just a few bucks shyer)
ANYTHING you can do on a Mac…you can do just as well or better on a
PC.
(and vice versa for arguments sake.)
MAC addicts are self-important, snobby, pompous assholes, who are
holding
onto "Old School" misconceptions, and who are too DUMB to use a real computer…that’s all.
That’s it.
End of story.
Class dismissed.
The Magician

Yeah, don’t you love that "business is business". And bank robbery is business. But it has a "controlling legal authority".
PS
Paul Smith
Oct 23, 2003
Uni wrote:
Like heck there isn’t. For example, Apple is accelerating with their LCD monitors, while PC owners are receiving LCD’s from yesterday’s news.

What are you talking about? The Cinema Displays are good screens but PC users have tons of new LCDs coming out all the time with new improvements. Response times have gotten faster, picture quality etc. Anyway it’s a moot point because Macs can use all LCDs available if they have a DVI or VGA port, and PCs can use the Apple screens with an adapter.
S
Stephan
Oct 23, 2003
"Paul Smith" wrote in message
Uni wrote:

What are you talking about?

Uni is a troll and has no clue.

Stephan
SM
Steve Moody
Nov 8, 2003
In article <bmr8h7$r8m$>, Stewy
wrote:

Macs are just as clunky as PCs, but in different ways and you, the consumer are acting as unwilling beta testers with OSX. Also if you have Photoshop for Windows you’ll have to pay Adobe all over again to get a Mac version.

A crossplatform upgrade is the same cost as a regular upgrade.
SM
Steve Moody
Nov 8, 2003
In article , The
Magician wrote:

Software for Mac is limited.
Don’t believe me…walk into any CompUSA, etc., and count the number of software/game aisles there are for Macs compared to PC’s.

Now go back and count how much of the PC software is crap vs. how much of that Mac software is crap. Now count how much of that PC software is simply yet another software company tossing out another package that does what several other packages are already doing.

I’ve had four Macs now. After migrating to OS X last year, my Mac has crashed once.

I learned with MSDOS 3.1, moved through DOS to version 6.x, then on to Windows 3.1, 95, then 98. After a few weeks with a Mac, I found the Mac easier and more stable. What’s best is what’s best. Whether you learned to get used to being poked in the eye or not, it’s still better not to be poked in the eye.

But it’s simpler, faster, and more reliable on the Mac.

I used to buy into the childish idea that Macs are for idiots. Being very good at getting Windows to work well takes a lot of time. It’s easy to convince yourself the you are somehow smarter than other people that have been Windows for only a short while and who struggle to get certain things done. But the fact that Windows takes so long to learn does not make a Windows expert smarter than other Windows users and the fact that you don’t need to invest years into learning the Mac does not make it a platform for idiots. Just the opposite. A smart person will use a computer that does not require an major investment in time to learn.
NS
Not so quick
Nov 8, 2003
"Steve Moody" wrote in message
In article , The
Magician wrote:

Software for Mac is limited.
Don’t believe me…walk into any CompUSA, etc., and count the number of software/game aisles there are for Macs compared to PC’s.

Now go back and count how much of the PC software is crap vs. how much of that Mac software is crap. Now count how much of that PC software is simply yet another software company tossing out another package that does what several other packages are already doing.

I’ve had four Macs now. After migrating to OS X last year, my Mac has crashed once.

I learned with MSDOS 3.1, moved through DOS to version 6.x, then on to Windows 3.1, 95, then 98. After a few weeks with a Mac, I found the Mac easier and more stable. What’s best is what’s best. Whether you learned to get used to being poked in the eye or not, it’s still better not to be poked in the eye.

ANYTHING you can do on a Mac…you can do just as well or better on a
PC.
(and vice versa for arguments sake.)

But it’s simpler, faster, and more reliable on the Mac.

MAC addicts are self-important, snobby, pompous assholes, who are
holding
onto "Old School" misconceptions, and who are too DUMB to use a real computer…that’s all.

I used to buy into the childish idea that Macs are for idiots. Being very good at getting Windows to work well takes a lot of time. It’s easy to convince yourself the you are somehow smarter than other people that have been Windows for only a short while and who struggle to get certain things done. But the fact that Windows takes so long to learn does not make a Windows expert smarter than other Windows users and the fact that you don’t need to invest years into learning the Mac does not make it a platform for idiots. Just the opposite. A smart person will use a computer that does not require an major investment in time to learn.

I have nothing against the MAC, really. But your post did bring up an old issue. You mentioned that people think the MAC is simple for the sake of idiots. I disagree completely because your attention shouldn’t be taken up by learning and using the o/s, but by the program and be the project, but I have to ask: Does the MAC still have a one button mouse? That really is a little oversimplified, at least it was for a long time. : -)
E
edjh
Nov 8, 2003
I have nothing against the MAC, really. But your post did bring up an old issue. You mentioned that people think the MAC is simple for the sake of idiots. I disagree completely because your attention shouldn’t be taken up by learning and using the o/s, but by the program and be the project, but I have to ask: Does the MAC still have a one button mouse? That really is a little oversimplified, at least it was for a long time. : -)

It’s Mac not MAC! You can get as many buttons as you want for Macs, just like a PC. But it’s not a matter of oversimplification; more than one button is just not necessary on a Mac.

To the original poster: I know many Mac users and none of them are "self-important, snobby, pompous assholes.." That’s pure bigotry.

Use them both; like them both. But I like Macs just a wee bit more.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
S
Stephan
Nov 8, 2003
"edjh" wrote in message

It’s Mac not MAC! You can get as many buttons as you want for Macs, just like a PC. But it’s not a matter of oversimplification; more than one button is just not necessary on a Mac.

That’s because you are supposed to use your left hand WHILE you click to do what PC users do with the right button! 😉
Come on, you use both you said, isn’t the right click a nice feature? I love sipping my expresso while opening menus.
To the original poster: I know many Mac users and none of them are "self-important, snobby, pompous assholes.." That’s pure bigotry.

I would bet that the percentage is about the same in both platforms and pretty much the same than in the general population, computer owners or not

Same here but just the other way around

Stephan
HB
henri.baeyens
Nov 8, 2003
and on and on w/ the Mac vs PC debate. Aren’t you all just getting tired of that?
S
SamMan
Nov 9, 2003
"henri.baeyens" wrote in message
and on and on w/ the Mac vs PC debate. Aren’t you all just getting tired
of
that?

Yes…..

SamMan
Rip it to reply
E
edjh
Nov 9, 2003
Stephan wrote:
"edjh" wrote in message

That’s because you are supposed to use your left hand WHILE you click to do what PC users do with the right button! 😉
Come on, you use both you said, isn’t the right click a nice feature?

It’s okay but kind of a cramp with a Wacom stylus. I prefer using a key myself. If I wanted a right button mouse on the Mac I would get one.

MR
Mike Russell
Nov 9, 2003
henri.baeyens wrote:
and on and on w/ the Mac vs PC debate. Aren’t you all just getting tired of that?

Not really. There was a spell there (remember Sulley, the Newton, Gil Amelio, Clones, etc?) when Mac folks were very quiet and would’nt respond no matter how many people said more buttons was better.

It’s good to have them back again, IMHO.

Mike Russell
http://www.curvemeister.com
http://www.zocalo.net/~mgr
http://geigy.2y.net
S
Stephan
Nov 9, 2003
of
that?
Of course not, it’s fun
Specially now that the machines are pretty much the same thing.

Stephan
H
Hecate
Nov 9, 2003
On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 01:23:29 GMT, "Stephan"
wrote:

of
that?
Of course not, it’s fun
Stephan
Apart from which, if i wanted to use Unix, I’d be using Linux 😉

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
NS
Not so quick
Nov 9, 2003
"edjh" wrote in message

Sorry, but you’ve got to be kidding about not needing
more than one button on a "Mac".
NS
Not so quick
Nov 9, 2003
of
that?
Of course not, it’s fun
Stephan

Doesn’t the word Amiga kind of make you sick?
E
edjh
Nov 9, 2003
Not so quick wrote:
"edjh" wrote in message

Why? It’s true.

E
edjh
Nov 9, 2003
Not so quick wrote:

Actually the right-click and keyboard layout in Windows is one of the things that makes it less attractive to me. It may be a small thing but on the Mac I have my left hand at the keyboard all the time (not sipping expresso). The Command key, which is where the Alt key is located on a Windows machine is more conveniently located for all teh major commands: Save, Cut,Copy, Paste, Print, Tranform, Zoom in and out, etc. as opposed to the Ctrl key out in left field in Windows and the Alt key by the spacebar. Then there’s that useless Windows key where the Option key should be. Some Windows keyboards have a Context menu key but it’s on the wrong side and as far as I know doesn’t work in Photoshop.

I work in an art department full of Mac users. I’ve never seen one of them throw up his hands and wail, "If only I had more buttons!"

I’ve even gone so far as to use a third party utility to remap my Windows keyboard to be like a Mac’s. Unfortunately I can’t map the right-click to the Ctrl key.

W
Whokid
Nov 9, 2003
In article <lgYjb.1383$>,
"J & D GOLD" wrote:

thanks

My two pennies worth:

Macs are just as fast as PC’s. They are much more stable and user-friendly, especially if you’re using OSX.

However, if you’re already using PC and are happy with it, you might as well stick with it. Otherwise you’re not just looking at a new Mac but new Mac versions of any software you might want as well!

Or, if you really want to go wild, you could get a Silicon Graphics NT workstation…

Jim

——————————————————-

pester me, why not? whokid at flywheelnetwork . co . uk
B
belowme
Nov 9, 2003
IBM is the training standard today and mac is the industry standard today. Personally I like my three button mouse it allows me to smoke while I work. "Whokid" wrote in message
"J & D GOLD" wrote:

apple/mac’s.
thanks

My two pennies worth:

Macs are just as fast as PC’s. They are much more stable and user-friendly, especially if you’re using OSX.

However, if you’re already using PC and are happy with it, you might as well stick with it. Otherwise you’re not just looking at a new Mac but new Mac versions of any software you might want as well!
Or, if you really want to go wild, you could get a Silicon Graphics NT workstation…

Jim

——————————————————-

pester me, why not? whokid at flywheelnetwork . co . uk
V
Voivod
Nov 9, 2003
On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 15:29:05 +0000, Whokid
scribbled:

"J & D GOLD" wrote:

thanks

My two pennies worth:

Be cheaper to buy a PC and run Linux.

So few people take into account the cost of software when switching from PC to Mac and/or vice-versa. I wonder if it’s a blind spot or do they think they programs run cross platform…
NS
Not so quick
Nov 9, 2003
"edjh" wrote in message
Not so quick wrote:
"edjh" wrote in message

Why? It’s true.

I guess it’s possible to think that, but only if
you haven’t used a mouse with several buttons.
I couldn’t afford the upgrade to whatever it was
that came after quadras, so I’ve got a quadra
sitting on one the desks in my office that I’ve had
for years. It doesn’t even have a scroll wheel.
To me saying you don’t need a mouse with more
than one button is like saying you don’t need
a computer to write because you’ve got a
perfectly good typewriter.
NS
Not so quick
Nov 9, 2003
"edjh" wrote in message
Not so quick wrote:

Actually the right-click and keyboard layout in Windows is one of the things that makes it less attractive to me. It may be a small thing but on the Mac I have my left hand at the keyboard all the time (not sipping expresso). The Command key, which is where the Alt key is located on a Windows machine is more conveniently located for all teh major commands: Save, Cut,Copy, Paste, Print, Tranform, Zoom in and out, etc. as opposed to the Ctrl key out in left field in Windows and the Alt key by the spacebar. Then there’s that useless Windows key where the Option key should be. Some Windows keyboards have a Context menu key but it’s on the wrong side and as far as I know doesn’t work in Photoshop.
I work in an art department full of Mac users. I’ve never seen one of them throw up his hands and wail, "If only I had more buttons!"
I’ve even gone so far as to use a third party utility to remap my Windows keyboard to be like a Mac’s. Unfortunately I can’t map the right-click to the Ctrl key.

Going back to using a one button mouse makes
be feel like I’m wasting time.
AH
A Hess
Nov 9, 2003
Not so quick wrote:

Going back to using a one button mouse makes
be feel like I’m wasting time.

I don’t know what I’d do without my mousewheel and middle-click. When browsing, I use it as much or more than left click. But I’ve never used a Mac, so I can’t say I’d hate it or never use it.

All my life I said I wanted to be someone…I can see now that I should have been more specific.
E
edjh
Nov 10, 2003
Not so quick wrote:
"edjh" wrote in message

Sorry, I think that’s dumb. Millions of people use Macs with only one button. If you want to contort your fingers go ahead but don’t say it’s necessary because it isn’t.

Anyway, to each his own. By the way, I do have a perfectly good cordless 4 button mouse but I hardly ever use it, preferring my 2 button Wacom stylus for most things.

NS
Not so quick
Nov 10, 2003
"edjh" wrote in message
Not so quick wrote:
"edjh" wrote in message

Sorry, I think that’s dumb. Millions of people use Macs with only one button. If you want to contort your fingers go ahead but don’t say it’s necessary because it isn’t.

Anyway, to each his own. By the way, I do have a perfectly good cordless 4 button mouse but I hardly ever use it, preferring my 2 button Wacom stylus for most things.

So you use a two button mouse?
And you would be just as happy
with a one button? BTW, to you
use the graphire or intuos? I bought
the graphire 3 but now I’m tempted
to get the intuos for the pen angle
sensitivity. : -)
E
edjh
Nov 10, 2003
Not so quick wrote:

I use a two button pen on my Windows machine because I have to. I’d rather have the functionality of the Control key(like on the Mac)instead. Only time I use the mouse is in 3D programs like Wings.

Using an old ArtZ II but we are going to be upgrading to Intuous at work (Mac) very soon.

HB
henri.baeyens
Nov 10, 2003
the point is that, each one, pc or mac user, has equally strong arguments and everybody sticks w/ his/her viewpoint anyway. The debate is sterile. Move on.

"Stephan" a
HB
henri.baeyens
Nov 10, 2003
"Hecate" a
NS
Not so quick
Nov 10, 2003
"edjh" wrote in message
Not so quick wrote:

I use a two button pen on my Windows machine because I have to. I’d rather have the functionality of the Control key(like on the Mac)instead. Only time I use the mouse is in 3D programs like Wings.
Using an old ArtZ II but we are going to be upgrading to Intuous at work (Mac) very soon.

If you have time, post about your experience
with Intuos. Thanks : -)
H
Hecate
Nov 11, 2003
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:24:10 +0100, "henri.baeyens" wrote:

whatever happened to BeOS?
Take a look at OSX 😉

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
H
Hecate
Nov 11, 2003
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:22:17 +0100, "henri.baeyens" wrote:

the point is that, each one, pc or mac user, has equally strong arguments and everybody sticks w/ his/her viewpoint anyway. The debate is sterile. Move on.
Yep. Personally, what I want is a computer that works, all the time, doesn’t have conflicts, doesn’t need drivers, where you can plug anything anytime, and it all just works.

When they invent one I’ll be the first in the queue to buy it 😉

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections