J
Posted By
JasonB
Dec 28, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone know if it’s possible to centre a selection on PSE4?

I’m working on some photographs for a relative and I’m cropping the subject using an elliptical selection and then pasting the selection into a new file.

At the moment I’m adjusting the position of the cropped image by eye. This seems to be ok, but if anyone out there has any easier way to do this I’d appreciate hearing about it?

Regards,

JasonB

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DI
Don in Centennial CO
Dec 29, 2005
The only way I do it is to go to View>Rulers. Not exactly precise but works pretty well.
F
Fishface
Dec 29, 2005
JasonB wrote:
I’m working on some photographs for a relative and I’m cropping the subject using an elliptical selection and then pasting the selection into a new file.

Doesn’t it paste it in the center of view? Try fitting the new image on screen (<ctrl> + 0) and then pasting. Otherwise, can you use File | New | Image from Clipboard ?
C
Charley
Dec 31, 2005
I’m a Photoshop user and it’s been a long time since I’ve played with Elements, but much is the same, so here goes. This is what I do in Photoshop.

With the ruler scales displayed, try dragging guidlines out from the ruler scales with the move tool. These are blue lines (vertical and horizontal) that won’t show up in the printed photo, only on the display. If you can get these guide lines, position them to cross in the center of the blank photo. If "snap" is selected in your preferences, a photo (your oval) that is being dragged onto this will snap to center on the cross point of the guide lines and kind of jump into position as you drag it.

Charley

"Fishface" <?> wrote in message
JasonB wrote:

Doesn’t it paste it in the center of view? Try fitting the new image on screen (<ctrl> + 0) and then pasting. Otherwise, can you use File | New | Image from Clipboard ?

F
Fishface
Dec 31, 2005
Charley wrote:

I’m a Photoshop user and it’s been a long time since I’ve played with Elements, but much is the same, so here goes. This is what I do in Photoshop.

With the ruler scales displayed, try dragging guidlines out from the ruler scales with the move tool.

I have no guidelines in PSE 3. 🙁 Dunno about PSE 4.
But it really does paste in the center of the view for me…
AG
AKA gray asphalt
Jan 8, 2006
"JasonB" wrote in message
I’m working on some photographs for a relative and I’m cropping the subject using an elliptical selection and then pasting the
selection into a new file.

At the moment I’m adjusting the position of the cropped image by eye. This seems to be ok, but if anyone out there has any easier
way to do this I’d appreciate hearing about it?

Regards,

JasonB

There are lots of times in graphic arts where measurements are correct but they don’t look right to the eye. Did you know that in most fonts the capital O is actually taller than the other letters to make it look right to the eye? Trust your eye, imo. Good luck
AG
AKA gray asphalt
Jan 8, 2006
Charley wrote:

With the ruler scales displayed, try dragging guidlines out from the ruler scales with the move tool.

I have no guidelines in PSE 3. 🙁 Dunno about PSE 4.
But it really does paste in the center of the view for me…

Did you try to push Control R for rulers and drag
guidelines out? I’m not used to Elements so maybe
it’s different than PhotoShop.
F
Fishface
Jan 9, 2006
AKA gray asphalt wrote:

Did you try to push Control R for rulers and drag
guidelines out? I’m not used to Elements so maybe

Rulers are on, but no guides. I am familiar with the
technique. Again, this is on PSE 3.

Got a Line tool, though, which is a "shape" (seems to be some type of path) and it automatically goes on a
new layer which can be subsequently deleted, but, of
course, I get no snappage!
AG
AKA gray asphalt
Jan 9, 2006
AKA gray asphalt wrote:

Did you try to push Control R for rulers and
drag
guidelines out? I’m not used to Elements so
maybe

Rulers are on, but no guides. I am familiar
with the
technique. Again, this is on PSE 3.

Got a Line tool, though, which is a "shape"
(seems to
be some type of path) and it automatically goes
on a
new layer which can be subsequently deleted,
but, of
course, I get no snappage!

What happens when you "paste into" with the whole graphic selected or a portion smaller than that
what
you are going to paste? Does PE3 have a ‘paste
into"
command?

How much does it cost to upgrade to 4? I’m not
suggesting
that but I’m curious abut the upgrade price.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections