B
Posted By
Bruce
Dec 27, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve taken the first steps toward a rigorous color workflow, i.e. I popped for the GretagMacbeth color checker chart. I think that I have good color matching from camera to monitor to printer. However what I don’t have is good brightness matching from the monitor to the printer. A pic that has good brightness and contrast on the monitor generally is too dark and too flat when printed. I have calibrated the monitor using Adobe Gamma however my monitor has a lot of "metamerisnm", it is a Samsung SyncMaster 760V flat panel.

How can I calibrate the monitor so the print brightness and contrast are roughly equal to what I see on the monitor? I don’t see how color calibration instruments would help here. Is this just something that I need to deal with with experience? BTW the printer is a HP 8750.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

N
neon
Dec 27, 2005
**^; wrote:
I’ve taken the first steps toward a rigorous color workflow, i.e. I popped for the GretagMacbeth color checker chart. I think that I have good color matching from camera to monitor to printer. However what I don’t have is good brightness matching from the monitor to the printer. A pic that has good brightness and contrast on the monitor generally is too dark and too flat when printed. I have calibrated the monitor using Adobe Gamma however my monitor has a lot of "metamerisnm", it is a Samsung SyncMaster 760V flat panel.

How can I calibrate the monitor so the print brightness and contrast are roughly equal to what I see on the monitor? I don’t see how color calibration instruments would help here. Is this just something that I need to deal with with experience? BTW the printer is a HP 8750.
you can’t calibrate an lcd monitor with adobe gamma, at least according to adobe. adobe gamma is only applicable to crt monitors. the only way to accurately calibrate lcd monitors is with 3rd party calibration hardware like the gretagmacbeth eye-one, monaco optix, etc. unless you’re willing to spend the money for a hardware calibrator you’re probably better off using the samsung factory profile that was supplied with your monitor. you also need to insure that your printing process is correct. are you setting the printer/paper profile correctly? i’m not familiar with the hp printer drivers so i really can’t offer much info. there.
AB
Andrew Bealing
Feb 17, 2006
I have noticed a discrepancy between the brightness of images in the Editor compared to those printed or indeed shown in print preview.

I have just posted a new thread on this so will be interested to see if I get any response.

Have you checked the print preview to see if they match either the prints or the editor images?

Andrew Bealing

"**^;" wrote in message

TN
Tesco News
Feb 22, 2006
"Andrew Bealing" wrote in message
I have noticed a discrepancy between the brightness of images in the Editor compared to those printed or indeed shown in print preview.
I have just posted a new thread on this so will be interested to see if I get any response.

Have you checked the print preview to see if they match either the prints or the editor images?

Andrew Bealing

"**^;" wrote in message

Hi.

The bad news is that Adobe Gamma does not work at all well with Flat Panel Monitors.

You really need to get yourself a hardware Calibration Device, or hire in someone to Calibrate the Monitor for you.

Roy G
AG
AKA gray asphalt
Jun 24, 2006
Hi,
My solution to this problem is pretty simple. Get some typicl pictures of the type you will be printing and create versions of it that will cover the range that you are encountering. Print out each one and keep it as a reference. When your new pictures look like the ones that print out to your satisfaction, you’re in business. You should adjust them accordingly. The process is about looking good to the eye, in the final analysis. You can also use the histogram to get a general idea and a starting point. Trust your own eyes, my friend.
: -)

"**^;" wrote in message

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections