JE
Posted By
jim evans
Dec 4, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use Photoshop but am suggesting a beginner friend get PSE.

When I tried to see the changes between 3 & 4 it didn’t seem like much was added. Do people who have owned both think 4 is better?

Do they both have one click functions to do:
An overall image correction?
An automatic color balance?
An automatic contrast adjustment?
Red eye removal?

Do they both have adjustment layers?
Do they both have a "Levels" function?
Do they both have a "Curves" function?
Do they both support "Unsharp Mask?"

Would it be better to pay $20 for the retail box and get the manual or put the $20 toward a third party book. If a separate book, which one?

Thanks for the help.

jim

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CK
Charles Kerekes
Dec 4, 2005
Jim,

I have both versions and if the decision is between PSE 3 and 4, I definitely suggest 4. Very few new features were added to PSE 4, but a few annoying problems have been fixed that existed in PSE 4 (see Joseph’s post titled "Version 4.0 vs 3.0" on Oct 28, 2005).

Yes to all of your "one click functions" list.

Yes to all, except none of the PSE version have Curves–you need the full PS for that.

None of the retail boxes came with any instruction books, so plan on buying a third party.

If you friend is learning how to use PSE, he may find my articles useful:
http://flyingsamphoto.com/digital-photo-guide-projects-photo shop-elements.shtml

Charlie

http://FlyingSamPhoto.com
Got digital photos? Show them off!
JM
Joseph Meehan
Dec 4, 2005
Charles Kerekes wrote:
Jim,

I have both versions and if the decision is between PSE 3 and 4, I definitely suggest 4. Very few new features were added to PSE 4, but a few annoying problems have been fixed that existed in PSE 4 (see Joseph’s post titled "Version 4.0 vs 3.0" on Oct 28, 2005).
Yes to all, except none of the PSE version have Curves–you need the full PS for that.

None of the retail boxes came with any instruction books, so plan on buying a third party.

That’s funny, both my version 3.0 and 4.0 came with books. Maybe not great books, but fair.

http://flyingsamphoto.com/digital-photo-guide-projects-photo shop-elements.shtml
Charlie

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
RW
Roger Whitehead
Dec 4, 2005
In article ,
Charles Kerekes wrote:

There is an PS action that runs in PS3 (and possibly 4) that lets one use those.

Also, Adobe offers some free tutorials, at
http://www.adobe.com/education/digkids/training . Don’t let your friend be put off by the "kids" label; there is some good material there.

This ‘About’ service has some useful tips, too –
http://graphicssoft.about.com .

Roger
JE
jim evans
Dec 4, 2005
Thanks a lot for the replies.

Nobody suggested a book. Joseph does t his mean you’d settle for the manual that came with the retail version rather than invest the $20 in a third party book?

jim
CK
Charles Kerekes
Dec 5, 2005
Joseph,

That’s funny, both my version 3.0 and 4.0 came with books.

There must be different retail packages, then. All I got in mine was a very thin installation book, but nothing about how to use the product.

Charlie
A
Al
Dec 5, 2005
I have a book called "Photshop Elements 3: The Missing Manual". It is great. It goes so much further than the packaged book. I do not think I could get along without it. The missing manual series covers a lot of software and I am sure that the PSE-4 book will be out shortly if not already.

Al

"jim evans" wrote in message

Nobody suggested a book. Joseph does t his mean you’d settle for the manual that came with the retail version rather than invest the $20 in a third party book?

jim
JM
Joseph Meehan
Dec 5, 2005
jim evans wrote:

jim

I have looked at some of the third party books available. In my opinion they are better than the books that came with my programs. It does appear that there may be two versions of those books, one just an install book the other a general introduction – instruction book. For me I have not seen much reason to buy one of the third party books. However I would recommend them for someone just starting with this type of program and/or a lot of photographic experience. I find that I have been successful in finding the help I need for what I have wanted to do with the supplied documentation and the help files.

I also note that the newer version seem to be more intuitive.

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
JM
Jack Mac
Dec 5, 2005
On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 11:37:11 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" wrote:

jim evans wrote:

jim

I have looked at some of the third party books available. In my opinion they are better than the books that came with my programs. It does appear that there may be two versions of those books, one just an install book the other a general introduction – instruction book. For me I have not seen much reason to buy one of the third party books. However I would recommend them for someone just starting with this type of program and/or a lot of photographic experience. I find that I have been successful in finding the help I need for what I have wanted to do with the supplied documentation and the help files.

It seems to me that Adobe depends on their Help Videos more than what’s in the book…… and they are helpful.
Jack Mac
B
Bob
Dec 5, 2005
I have found the website www.photoshopelementsuser.com very usefull. I also have the book, The Photoshop Elements 4 Book for Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby to be very usefull. I am a subscriber to the Photoshop Elements website listd above. Betweek the book and the online videos I have learned a ton of things that make using the program more productive. I also signed up for the 21 day online training course and found it a great value. I cost $19.99. I just finished it up and loved it. I hope this helps.

Bob

"Jack Mac" wrote in message
On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 11:37:11 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

jim evans wrote:

jim

I have looked at some of the third party books available. In my opinion
they are better than the books that came with my programs. It does appear that there may be two versions of those books, one just an install book the
other a general introduction – instruction book. For me I have not seen much reason to buy one of the third party books. However I would recommend
them for someone just starting with this type of program and/or a lot of photographic experience. I find that I have been successful in finding the
help I need for what I have wanted to do with the supplied documentation and
the help files.

It seems to me that Adobe depends on their Help Videos more than what’s in the book…… and they are helpful.
Jack Mac
JM
Joseph Meehan
Dec 5, 2005
Joseph Meehan wrote:
jim evans wrote:

jim

I am going to have to amend my statement. When I got my first version of Elements 2, I did buy a book. I just forgot about it until now. While I believe the current versions seem more intuitive to me, they might not be for someone who has not worked with the earlier versions.

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
JE
jim evans
Dec 6, 2005
Thanks again for all the comments. I got him the "Missing Manual" book.

jim
F
fotoholico
Dec 6, 2005
PSE3 can run curves through an action – see
http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/photoshop-elements- curves.html for details.
Adobe have blocked this sneaky backdoor in PSE4, so you’d need to use curvemeister or the ‘hidden power’ solution, see
http://www.hiddenelements.com/downloads.html.

Which to choose? Well, do you want ease of use or complexity and power? PSE4 has an easy to use interface, and the new magic selection tool is really nifty. But for hardcore photographic work, PSE3 with the earthboundlight or hidden power access to curves etc. might prove a better choice. (I’m actually still using PSE2 with earthbound light actions – it was free with my PC and I’ve not felt the need to upgrade despite doing lots of photographic work. The only thing I’d *really* like is the healing brush, which only came into elements in version 3). Good luck and…. Enjoy!
Shakya
M
MrB
Jan 7, 2006
"Charles Kerekes" wrote in message
Jim,

None of the retail boxes came with any instruction books, so plan on

I just bought the retail version of 4.0 and it has a 200 page user guide with it.

buying a third party.

Charlie

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections