Upgrade from Photoshop Elements 2 and Album 2 to Elements 4 – viable?

AH
Posted By
Andy Hardy
Nov 26, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I currently use PE2 and PA2 and am looking to upgrade to PE4.

My understanding is that PE4 includes the old Album functionality? Will an upgrade be ‘transparent’ e.g. will it accept my old Album catalogues without problem, does it uninstall the old Album software, etc.?

I assume that the new entry point for the software will be to go in via PE4 and that it will show the album information there? With PA2/PE2 the entry point is the Album from which you can then call PE2 for the editing.

Thanks for any help,

Andy Hardy. PGP ID: 0xA62A4849

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JM
Joseph Meehan
Nov 26, 2005
Andy Hardy wrote:
Hi,

My understanding is that PE4 includes the old Album functionality? Will an upgrade be ‘transparent’ e.g. will it accept my old Album catalogues without problem, does it uninstall the old Album software, etc.?
I assume that the new entry point for the software will be to go in via PE4 and that it will show the album information there? With PA2/PE2 the entry point is the Album from which you can then call PE2 for the editing.

Thanks for any help,

I believe it will be, but I can’t be 100% certain. V2 to 3 was easy, and 3-4 has been reported easy. I doubt if you would need version thee to make it easy.

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
JM
Jack Mac
Nov 27, 2005
On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 21:11:16 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" wrote:

Andy Hardy wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for any help,

I believe it will be, but I can’t be 100% certain. V2 to 3 was easy, and 3-4 has been reported easy. I doubt if you would need version thee to make it easy.

I just today installed the new V4. I had V1 on my computer and the new installation left the old intact. The installation process did find that I had the old version but told me it wouldn’t do anything to it. I went to Control Panel and removed the old version.

Jack Mac
AH
Andy Hardy
Nov 27, 2005
In message , Jack Mac
writes
On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 21:11:16 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" wrote:

Andy Hardy wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for any help,

I just today installed the new V4. I had V1 on my computer and the new installation left the old intact. The installation process did find that I had the old version but told me it wouldn’t do anything to it. I went to Control Panel and removed the old version.

Jack Mac

Thanks for that, but it was mainly the ‘album’ side of things that I was concerned with. I have a few thousand pictures in my album and want to make sure that PSE4 will make use of my existing catalogue. —
JM
Joseph Meehan
Nov 27, 2005
Andy Hardy wrote:
Hi,

My understanding is that PE4 includes the old Album functionality?

True as did version 3. I like version 3 a lot more than version 2 although it did take me a little while to learn enough about it to come to that conclusion. 🙂

Will an upgrade be ‘transparent’ e.g. will it accept my old Album catalogues without problem, does it uninstall the old Album software, etc.?

Thanks for any help,

I found version four on sale and I will shortly be buying it and updating my version 3 which was upgraded from version 2 I suspect it will update with no problems. It may also tell me if it will update from the version 2s.

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
AH
Andy Hardy
Nov 27, 2005
In message <Ybmif.238110$> , Joseph
Meehan writes
Andy Hardy wrote:
Hi,

True as did version 3. I like version 3 a lot more than version 2 although it did take me a little while to learn enough about it to come to that conclusion. 🙂

Did you have PA2? If so, was the upgrade seamless?
I found version four on sale and I will shortly be buying it and updating my version 3 which was upgraded from version 2 I suspect it will update with no problems. It may also tell me if it will update from the version 2s.

I’d be interested to hear how it goes.

JM
Joseph Meehan
Nov 28, 2005
Andy Hardy wrote:
Meehan writes
Andy Hardy wrote:
Hi,

Yes I did and as I recall it was at least easy. It has been a while ago and my memory has never been that great. If it had been really difficult I think I would have remembered. As I recall I did do a lot of reorganization at that time, but that was for my benefit.

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
JM
Joseph Meehan
Nov 29, 2005
Andy Hardy wrote:
Meehan writes
Andy Hardy wrote:
Hi,

I just installed it and all went well. I have not played with it much yet but I like it so far.

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
AG
AKA gray asphalt
Nov 30, 2005
"Andy Hardy" <junkmail@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message news:Umuy9zAm1FiDFAn9@[127.0.0.1]…
Hi,

My understanding is that PE4 includes the old Album functionality? Will an upgrade be ‘transparent’ e.g. will it accept my old
Album catalogues without problem, does it uninstall the old Album software, etc.?
I assume that the new entry point for the software will be to go in via PE4 and that it will show the album information there?
With PA2/PE2 the entry point is the Album from which you can then call PE2 for the editing.
Thanks for any help,

What does Album do that Elements 2 doesn’t? I’ve gotten the impression that Album does some things that Elem 4 doesn’t. Can you write the tags from your catalog to the files like Elements 4 can? If so then it shouldn’t be too much trouble to import them into Elements with the tags intact. This really sounds like something Adobe should address.
JM
Joseph Meehan
Nov 30, 2005
AKA gray asphalt wrote:
"Andy Hardy" <junkmail@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message news:Umuy9zAm1FiDFAn9@[127.0.0.1]…
Hi,

Thanks for any help,

What does Album do that Elements 2 doesn’t? I’ve gotten the impression that Album does some things that Elem 4 doesn’t. Can you write the tags from your catalog to the files like Elements 4 can? If so then it shouldn’t be too much trouble to import them into Elements with the tags intact. This really sounds like something Adobe should address.

Elements and Album were combined in version 3 as I recall In version 3 and version 4 Album is part of Elements.

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
AG
AKA gray asphalt
Dec 1, 2005
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
AKA gray asphalt wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for any help,

Elements and Album were combined in version 3 as I recall In version 3 and version 4 Album is part of Elements.

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Sounds definitive if not that you are sure …
That doesn’t make sense but you know what
I mean, maybe …

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections