M
Posted By
mythak
Nov 17, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My trial of Elements4 is about to expire and I can’t decide if it is worth renewing. There are things that I would like to do and haven’t figured out how to do. I might have some control issues… or I might just not be "getting it"I would appreciate some help.

So far, what I like about the program is how Tagging works. I’m trying out Picasa as well, and Adobe’s Tagging seems better. I also like Element’s basic editing better than Picasa’s. Beyond that I am frustrated.

Space is an issue for me. I have problems with the program making a copy of each of my edited files in a separate folder. Is there a way to save the orginals on separate media, then delete them from the hard drive or must the catalog in some way "refer" to them?

I like to move files and create new folders from Windows Explorer and am frustrated with the "Reconnect" issues. I figured out how to move things within in the program, but often it is easier to do it from Windows Explorer. Elements wants to reconnect to files one at a time. Isn’t there some way to reconnect to a folder and have Elements find all the reconnections from within? I would like my files saved in "My Pictures\Folder" not a special Adobe folder. If I decide to move to another organizer later, it would be nice to not have to move everthing out of Adobe folders.

I understand theat overwriting is a nono, but there are times when I want to be able to do it— for example when all I have done is rotate. Isn’t there a way to do it? Is there a way to force Adobe to overwrite on edit?

Here is what I want: A program that will easily organize thousands of files easily. A program that won’t require lots of extra space to do that. A good basic editor that will allow me to control editing ( quickly rotate, resize, remove red-eye, crop, adjust levels, contrast and sharpen) but that also has "quick and dirty automatic adjustments" for quick tweaks.

I have two more days with this program and want to give it a fair shake. Are there ways of tweaking it? Should I move to another program? Is it even possible to have a program that organizes in Windows Explorer’s regular folder, but has quick easy organization tags for locating files quickly?

Thank you

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DI
Don in Centennial CO
Nov 18, 2005
I think, and I am not an expert, that when you edit a file and go to "Save As" you can check "Save in Version Set with Original" (or something like that). This should keep the edited version in the same folder as the original.

Also, you can keep your pics in your My Pictures/Whatever folder. Then just go to "File>Watch Folders" and PSE4 will watch for changes in your "My Pictures" folders and update.

I think you can overwrite a file by just unchecking "Save in Version Set with Original". Not sure.

I’d try to keep working with PSE4. It’s hard to beat for overall organizing and editing.
M
mythak
Nov 18, 2005
Ok I’ll go try those things and cross my fingers. I really need to settle on an organizer. I appreciate the advice
Amy

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections