Posted By
dc
Oct 16, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
I’d like to create an action that sets guides 3cm from each edge of a file regardless of its size.

D

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Oct 16, 2007
Go for it!
D
dc
Oct 16, 2007
Thanks. Let me re-phrase that…

Hi,
I’d like to create an action that sets guides 3cm from each edge of a file regardless of its size BUT I don’t know how to. Any help would be gratefully received.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Oct 16, 2007
Set units to cm. View>New Guide, make guides at 3cm, on the left and top. Image>Rotate 180. This will place the guides on the right and bottom. At the left and bottom. Create new guides 3 cm from the left and top again. That’s it.

This is in CS and below. If there is a better way in later versions I don’t know it.
GD
george_dingwall
Oct 16, 2007
You would probably need to do this using a script if you don’t want to do it manually.

When you choose "New Guide" from the View menu you can specify the orientation and position of a guide, but you will have to work out manually where the 3 CM position is for the right hand and bottom should be. For example if you have a document which is 39 CM by 27 CM, you would specify 3 CM for the left and top guides, but you would need to subtract the 3 CM figure from the width and height of the document to ascertain the the position of the other guides, which, in this example, would be 36 CM for the right hand guide and 24 CM for the bottom guide.

It would be possible to script this function to asses the size of a document and the place the guides as required.

There may also be some scripts or action on the Adobe Exchange which might already do this.

Hope this help.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Oct 16, 2007
Way too complicated. It can easily be done as an Action. See above.
GD
george_dingwall
Oct 16, 2007
Hi Ed,

Rotating the image never occurred to me at the time, and I didn’t see your post till after I had posted. 🙂

I use scripts a lot for doing things in proportion to the image size, so I suppose that was the first thing that came to mind.

Bye for now.
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 16, 2007
Ed Hannigan – 7:16am Oct 16, 07 PST (#1 of 6)

Go for it!

Post Reply | Bookmark

——————————————————–

dc – 7:23am Oct 16, 07 PST (#2 of 6)

Thanks. Let me re-phrase that…

Ed: Great advice as always.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections