Posted By
mark_knap
Oct 14, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,

I have a problem with Photoshop CS, working in a limited account.

Namely, in admin account PS has in ‘Save As’ File Types list, among others JPEG file type. But in limited account there is no JPEG file type in the ‘Save As’ list, so i have to go to ‘Save for Web’ to compress psd file.

I presume that’s something about ntfs permissions, so i assigned full control to COMP/Users for Photoshop folders in ‘Program Files’ and ‘Common Files’, but to no avail.

Is there some Windows compressor, to which PS is addressing to compress files, and if so, where it could be located? If i knew that, i could assign user permissions to it.

Many thanks

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BL
Bob Levine
Oct 14, 2007
Are you sure that’s the problem? If you have a 16 bit image you be able save as JPG.

Bob
MK
mark_knap
Oct 14, 2007
Thanks for the reply.

Well, as i’ve mentioned, there is no JPEG option in ‘Save AS’ list when working in a limited account, whereas in admin account this option is available – on the same comp.

Of course i can compress files, but only through the ‘Save for Web’ dialog box.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Oct 14, 2007
I think what Robert was saying, despite the dropping of a few words, was that in Photoshop CS you cannot save a 16 bit image as JPEG using Save As. You need to convert to 8-bit and, I think, flatten the image and then Save As should give you the option of saving as JPEG. This is not a permissions thing.
MK
mark_knap
Oct 14, 2007
OK, at the moment i’m not by that firm computer, but this is what i did, since a colleague was complaining that he cannot Save As jpeg files anymore (recently i’ve changed all of work accounts from admin to limited).

I created some simple drawing (colored lines), and tried to save it as JPEG. Working in admin account i was able to do it, but in limited one i wasn’t (i didn’t use the same image but the same procedure).

Is it possible that in admin account default setting is 8bit and in limited one is 16bit? I want to note that i haven’t changed anything in PS after creating ltd account (just sent PS shortcut to Desktop), so i didn’t set this 16bit (if it has been set to that value at all).

Anyway i’ll look at that tomorrow to see the image settings.

Thanks
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Oct 14, 2007
Mark,

Apart from differences between accounts, you should be able to see if the file you’re trying to save is 8 or 16 bit.

It’s in the title bar of the image and in Image – Mode.

Different accounts don’t have different defaults per se, but I can imagine if one user changes it, it will be for that user only.

Rob
MK
mark_knap
Oct 14, 2007
Yep guys, that’s it!

Many thanks for your help 🙂

I would ask one more question; is there some quality loss if this image setting is turned to 8bit?
JJ
John_Joslin
Oct 14, 2007
No!
BL
Bob Levine
Oct 15, 2007
Certainly not for a JPG.

Bob
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Oct 15, 2007
Mark,

Keeping an image in 16 bit only serves the purpose of editing headroom. You can, for instance, make a steeper curve without getting a "comb" type of a histogram, the tell tale sign of banding.

To my knowledge there’s no device (screen, printer, press, beamer) that can reveal a quality difference in viewing an image in 16 or 8 bit

once ready, you can save a copy in 8-bit for print or web.

Rob

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections