N
Posted By
Nicolai
Oct 17, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I know this is an age old problem, but Im stumped and can’t seem to find the answers I need on the net. I work mostly in video so am not as comfortable in the print world as I’d like to be.

I created a document for print in Photoshop 7.0 in CMYK mode. I printed it on my printer, and it looked just like it did on my monitor. I was just about to send it off to the client when I remembered some advice someone gave me long ago. "Always check CMYK files in Illustrator"

I saved it as a Photoshop EPS file (format requested by client) But Illustrator doesnt recognise it as an EPS! ok…never mind that for now, I decided to stick to the PSD file for testing.

When I loaded it into Illustrator 9, the image is significantly darker, the logo colours are much too dark and the image as a whole looks muddy.

My question is: Do I trust photoshop or Illustrator?

If the illustrator file is accurate, is there anything I can do to get the colour luminosity to match they way it appears in Photoshop?

Due to the problems with exporting an EPS from Photoshop It seems that the only way I can get a working EPS is to save the PSD file as an EPS from Illustrator.

Thanks in advance! I have a horribly tight deadline so any help is GREATLY appreciated!

-Nicolai

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

QK
Quinn Keleq
Oct 17, 2003
I don’t know the answer to your question but I am pretty confident that if you post your message on graphic design forum of www.about.com very knowledgable people will get you one.

Quinn

"Nicolai" wrote in message
I know this is an age old problem, but Im stumped and can’t seem to find the answers I need on the net. I work mostly in video so am not as comfortable in the print world as I’d like to be.

I created a document for print in Photoshop 7.0 in CMYK mode. I printed it on my printer, and it looked just like it did on my monitor. I was just about to send it off to the client when I remembered some advice someone gave me long ago. "Always check CMYK files in Illustrator"

I saved it as a Photoshop EPS file (format requested by client) But Illustrator doesnt recognise it as an EPS! ok…never mind that for now, I decided to stick to the PSD file for testing.

When I loaded it into Illustrator 9, the image is significantly darker, the logo colours are much too dark and the image as a whole looks muddy.

If the illustrator file is accurate, is there anything I can do to get the colour luminosity to match they way it appears in Photoshop?
Due to the problems with exporting an EPS from Photoshop It seems that the only way I can get a working EPS is to save the PSD file as an EPS from Illustrator.

Thanks in advance! I have a horribly tight deadline so any help is GREATLY appreciated!

-Nicolai
M
Madsen
Oct 17, 2003
Nicolai wrote:

Is the color settings in Photoshop and Illustrator the same? If not, then have a look at:
<http://studio.adobe.com/learn/tips/phs7colmang/main.html>.

Regards
Madsen.
DQ
Dairy_Queen_of_Death
Oct 17, 2003
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 00:09:13 -0400, Nicolai
wrote:

if you have time, and a little extra money, ask the service bureau, or whoever has the image setter you will be using, to run you a "random". This is sort of a pre-press proof of how their image setter wil handle your image. At that point you can manually calibrate your monitor to match the random, save that as a specialty setting, and adjust the photo as needed.
N
Nicolai
Oct 17, 2003
Thanks to all for your suggestions. I Truly appreciate the advice and the effort.Using a combination of your suggestions I think I got it right in the end.

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 00:09:13 -0400, Nicolai
wrote:
NS
Not so quick
Oct 18, 2003
"Quinn Keleq" wrote in message
I don’t know the answer to your question but I am pretty confident that if you post your message on graphic design forum of www.about.com very knowledgable people will get you one.

Quinn

"Nicolai" wrote in message

-Nicolai

My guess is that Acrobat is the most reliable indication of what a service bureau can do. I can’t print from Pagemaker at all on my non-postscript, large format printer, and have to run everything through Acrobat.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections