Posted By
NoSpam
Sep 30, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I have a question on the use of the magnetic lasso tool.

I need to work on images which are large and require
scrolling of the image. Using the magnetic lasso tool under this circumstance is not successful, because as soon as
one hits the edge of the image, the image scrolls and the tool makes an unintended and long trace, which is very
difficult to reverse.

Is there a way to interrupt the work with the magnetic
lasso tool, scroll and then resume work again?

Thank you
GR.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JP
Joe Pak
Oct 1, 2007
"NoSpam" wrote in message
Hello,

scrolling of the image. Using the magnetic lasso tool under this circumstance is not successful, because as soon as
one hits the edge of the image, the image scrolls and the tool makes an unintended and long trace, which is very
difficult to reverse.

Thank you
GR.

Couldn’t you, at least temporarily, shrink the image to fit the screen?

Joe
TK
Toobi-Won Kenobi
Oct 1, 2007
Hello,

difficult to reverse.

Thank you
GR.
Use the spacebar.

TWK
N
NoSpam
Oct 1, 2007
"Toobi-Won Kenobi" <Toobi-won > wrote in message
Hello,

difficult to reverse.

Thank you
GR.
Use the spacebar.

TWK

Thanks for your replies, but I am afraid that they do not help.

The problem is as follows:

Once the lasso tool is on, no other tool can be invoked. Pres- sing the space bar does nothing. The space bar will bring up the hand and the latter will allow the image to be moved, BUT only if the lasso tool has closed its contour. But closing when one comes to the border of the image disrupts the process of defining the contour and one ends up with a useless piece of the image.

Starting with a small image, which of course is possible, defeats the purpose of achieving the accuracy desired possible only for the large image. Starting from a large image, there is no way to switch to a small image without irreversibly interrupting the work with the lasso tool.

Unless I miss something, Adobe has not yet thought this problem through and provided the facility to achieve the described, practi- cally very important task.

GR.
TK
Toobi-Won Kenobi
Oct 1, 2007
Hello,

difficult to reverse.

Thank you
GR.
Use the spacebar.

TWK
Holding down the space bar whilst using any tool will toggle between the tool in use and the "hand" tool. Holding down the space bar will allow you to move (drag with your mouse) your image and on release will revert to the tool in use.

TWK

Once the lasso tool is on, no other tool can be invoked. Pres- sing the space bar does nothing. The space bar will bring up the hand and the latter will allow the image to be moved, BUT only if the lasso tool has closed its contour. But closing when one comes to the border of the image disrupts the process of defining the contour and one ends up with a useless piece of the image.

Starting with a small image, which of course is possible, defeats the purpose of achieving the accuracy desired possible only for the large image. Starting from a large image, there is no way to switch to a small image without irreversibly interrupting the work with the lasso tool.

Unless I miss something, Adobe has not yet thought this problem through and provided the facility to achieve the described, practi- cally very important task.

GR.

N
NoSpam
Oct 1, 2007
Dear Toobi-Won-Kenobi,

Right you are with your advice:

Holding down the space bar whilst using any tool will toggle between the tool in use and the "hand" tool. Holding down the space bar will allow you to move (drag with your mouse) your image and on release will revert to
the
tool in use.

You are a genius. This is great help. Thank you very much.

GR.
TK
Toobi-Won Kenobi
Oct 1, 2007
Dear Toobi-Won-Kenobi,

Right you are with your advice:

Holding down the space bar whilst using any tool will toggle between the tool in use and the "hand" tool. Holding down the space bar will allow you
to move (drag with your mouse) your image and on release will revert to
the
tool in use.

GR.
Most welcome you are. 😉

TWK
U
usenetspam
Oct 1, 2007
Am Sun, 30 Sep 2007 19:52:19 GMT schrieb NoSpam:

scrolling of the image.

I have the same problem. What you can do is use backspace to delete the anchor points one by one until you meet the last set before the autoscroll. usually, this is only two or three.

hth
Peter
U
usenetspam
Oct 1, 2007
Am Mon, 01 Oct 2007 16:38:52 GMT schrieb NoSpam:

Holding down the space bar whilst using any tool will toggle between the tool in use and the "hand" tool. Holding down the space bar will allow you to move (drag with your mouse) your image and on release will revert to the tool in use.

Support I give to this.
Thanks from me too!
P
N
none
Oct 4, 2007
I have found that you do not need to "continuously" draw a line accurately around the entire edge without interrupion. I used to try complex selections this way and it was often very frustrating (as your problem report illustrates just one reason why).

I found that you can use lasso to select a part of what I want. Then I add parts to the selection by drawing another selection enclosure that begins inside my previous selection to the outside of it, around the additional part that I want, and back into the inside of my previous selection closing the "loop". The new selection will now contain the entirety both areas. I continue doing this until I have the complete selection I want.

Note that this depends on the "mode" of your select tool (addition or subtraction?), and you can use the modify command (alt) to do opposite of the current mode (i.e., if you’ve selected something you don’t want, use alt with your lasso tool to de-select the part you do not want).

I have found that I can then take breaks while making really complicated selections and the whole effort is much less stressful.

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 15:22:53 GMT, "NoSpam"
wrote:

Hello,

difficult to reverse.

Thank you
GR.
Use the spacebar.

TWK

GR.

N
NoSpam
Oct 10, 2007
Hello None,

Thanks for your suggestion. It sounds like it is a very useful approach. I shall try it as soon as I have a chance. I saved your reply. In the mean- time many thanks.

GR.
N
NoSpam
Oct 11, 2007
Hello None,

I tried your method and I congratulate you for having found it.

With this and with what Toobi-Won Konobi recommended
the use of the magnetic lasso tool has become very much easier and precise.

Thanks to both of you
GR.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections