C
Posted By
Cryptopix
Sep 11, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve got a niggling little problem I’d like some help with related to Windows registry. Some time ago I used the "file type" dialogue of explorer to set jpg as the file type for windows fax and picture viewer. Then Bridge wanted to open all the jpg files in the windows viewer instead of Photoshop.

I set bridge to open them in Photoshop OK but instead on getting a choice of programs to open one of the files with that included Photoshop, explorer now wants to open JPG files only in Microsoft programs. If someone can tell me the registry key to edit to fix this I really would appreciate it.

Doug

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
babaloo
Sep 11, 2007
Open Windows Explorer.
Click on a jpeg.
Click on Tools/Folder Options.
Click on File Types tab.
In the Registered file types box click on jpeg.
In the Opens with box change to the program you want explorer to open jpegs with, presumably Photoshop.
C
Cryptopix
Sep 11, 2007
On Sep 12, 1:20 am, "flambe" wrote:
Open Windows Explorer.
Click on a jpeg.
Click on File Types tab.
In the Opens with box change to the program you want explorer to open jpegs with, presumably Photoshop.

This is where the problem started.
I attempted to use the quick view facility of Windows to see an enlargement on a thumbnail in Explorer. Now I no longer get a list of programs under "open with" that includes Photoshop. Thank you for your help but I really need to edit the registry for this one. I just wanted to avoid wading through a few thousand keys there just to find the right one.

Doug
N
nospam
Sep 11, 2007
"D_Mac" wrote in message
On Sep 12, 1:20 am, "flambe" wrote:
Open Windows Explorer.
Click on a jpeg.
Click on File Types tab.

This is where the problem started.
I attempted to use the quick view facility of Windows to see an enlargement on a thumbnail in Explorer. Now I no longer get a list of programs under "open with" that includes Photoshop. Thank you for your help but I really need to edit the registry for this one. I just wanted to avoid wading through a few thousand keys there just to find the right one.

Doug, is the list of "open with" programs completely empty, or just missing Photoshop?

Do you have an "Other" option on the program selection dialog box? If so, have you tried manually pointing to Photoshop and selecting "Always use this program" etc?
J
Jim
Sep 12, 2007
"D_Mac" wrote in message
I’ve got a niggling little problem I’d like some help with related to Windows registry. Some time ago I used the "file type" dialogue of explorer to set jpg as the file type for windows fax and picture viewer. Then Bridge wanted to open all the jpg files in the windows viewer instead of Photoshop.

I set bridge to open them in Photoshop OK but instead on getting a choice of programs to open one of the files with that included Photoshop, explorer now wants to open JPG files only in Microsoft programs. If someone can tell me the registry key to edit to fix this I really would appreciate it.
Appendix A of Microsoft Windows Registry Guide discusses this topic. HKCR is where you start looking for the extension. Oneof the subkeys (I mean a subkey of HKCR\ext) is the list of programs to use with the Open With dialog for the particular extension.

This is a very complex thing to describe.

Jim
C
Cryptopix
Sep 12, 2007
On Sep 12, 11:27 am, "Jim" wrote:
"D_Mac" wrote in message

news:> I’ve got a niggling little problem I’d like some help with related to
Windows registry. Some time ago I used the "file type" dialogue of explorer to set jpg as the file type for windows fax and picture viewer. Then Bridge wanted to open all the jpg files in the windows viewer instead of Photoshop.

Appendix A of Microsoft Windows Registry Guide discusses this topic. HKCR is where you start looking for the extension. Oneof the subkeys (I mean a subkey of HKCR\ext) is the list of programs to use with the Open With dialog for the particular extension.

Jim

Thanks Jim… That’s all I needed. I found it and now all is well again.
J
Jim
Sep 12, 2007
"D_Mac" wrote in message
On Sep 12, 11:27 am, "Jim" wrote:
"D_Mac" wrote in message

news:> I’ve got a
niggling little problem I’d like some help with related to
Windows registry. Some time ago I used the "file type" dialogue of explorer to set jpg as the file type for windows fax and picture viewer. Then Bridge wanted to open all the jpg files in the windows viewer instead of Photoshop.

Appendix A of Microsoft Windows Registry Guide discusses this topic. HKCR
is where you start looking for the extension. Oneof the subkeys (I mean a subkey of HKCR\ext) is the list of programs to use with the Open With dialog
for the particular extension.

Jim

Thanks Jim… That’s all I needed. I found it and now all is well again.
Glad to be of help. Fortunately for me, I have never had to go through this tangled mess.
Jim

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections