D
Posted By
dixieppc
Sep 9, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I downloaded PS-CS3 Extended Trial [twice] and it will not install on either my desktop or laptop. Both systems meet the minimum requirements published.

Laptop:
Windows XP SP2
Pentium 4
512MB of RAM
64MB of video RAM
95.9GB of available hard-disk space
1,024×768 monitor resolution with 32-bit video card
DVD-ROM drive
QuickTime 7

Desktop:
Windows XP SP2
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2800+
512MB of RAM
128MB of video RAM
21.5GB of available hard-disk space
1,280×1,024 monitor resolution with 32-bit video card
DVD-ROM drive
QuickTime 7

Both Systems:
Updated as per M$ update site
All running applications halted such as virus protection, Firewall, etc….. Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo XI installed and running just fine on both systems

The downloaded exe extracts the installation files as needed and then when the installation begins, it starts the moving bar that says “Initializing Setup Files” and when the bar gets to the end…. Noting… I’m back at the desktop, no lockup, no courtesy of an error message… nothing.

Anyone got any ideas…..

Regards,

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Sep 9, 2007
Dixie,

While even your answers to these questions will not help me give you any solution, it may still be valuable for others to know. But, in brief, many have had problems installing PS CS3 while others (such as myself) have never had problems installing it. Why? I’ve no idea other than that I can say my system was a pretty clean one insofar as being recently built an all applications being freshly installed for the most part.

Now…1) Are you installing PS CS3 as the Administrator user or at least as someone in the Administrators group? and 2) Did you ever have the PS CS3 Beta installed and, if so, did you remove it per instructions from Adobe on how best to do so?

While not likely a problem for the installer, I will point out that 512MB of RAM is a rather low amount to have on a PC running Win XP and Photoshop. It will work, as that’s what I had on a 3.4Ghz P4 work PC for a while, but it was definitely sluggish.

Good luck resolving things,

Daryl
DM
dave_milbut
Sep 9, 2007
is adobe reader 8 installed? have you tried uninstalling that first? there were some reports of problems with that.
D
dixieppc
Sep 9, 2007
Daryl & Dave….

There is one account on both systems and that is me which has admin rights.

PS CS3 Beta was never on either system.

I am presently running Adobe Acrobat Pro 6.0.6 on both systems. I understand that the installation of PS-CS3 ups that to 8 for you (if it installs in the first place that is).

Regards,
BL
Bob Levine
Sep 9, 2007
I understand that the installation of PS-CS3 ups that to 8 for you (if it installs in the first place that is).

Photoshop doesn’t install anything anything but Photoshop. You need the entire suite which includes Acrobat.

Bob
D
dixieppc
Sep 9, 2007
Robert Levine Writes:

You need the entire suite which includes Acrobat

Are you saying that CS3 will not install unless adobe reader 8 is already installed?

Regards,
L
LenHewitt
Sep 10, 2007
No, that was NOT what Bob was saying!

You said

I understand that the installation of PS-CS3 ups that to 8 for you<<

Bob was pointing out that Photoshop CS3 will *NOT* upgrade Acrobat Pro for you. For that you need the whole Creative Suite.
D
dixieppc
Apr 27, 2008
Helen, I have given up with this program. I have found no help getting it to install. Adobe has been especially silent and refused to answer emails. Since both of my systems meet their advertised suggested minimums to run the program, I give up. I have even updated the desktop to 2gig memory and added a 500gig HD. I am running CS2 just fine but will NOT pay the price to upgrade since CS3 will not install and Adobe refuses to answer any emails.

I suggest you get your money back if you can find a human being at Adobe to even talk to about that. If it was a credit card deal, I would suggest reversing the payment and send the non-working piece of junk back to them.

Its bad enough having an expensive lemon on your hands but worse when the lemon provider refuses to even open a dialogue with you.

Regards and good luck.
JJ
John Joslin
Apr 27, 2008
Adobe offers free telephone advice for installation problems.
OU
Olaf_Ulrich
Apr 28, 2008
I used to have a similar problem (on Windows XP) with the 300+ MB Photoshop CS3 installer file that I downloaded from Adobe’s website. It would start expanding its contents to my hard disk, encounter a problem, issue an error message, and then undo the expansion. It would never even try to start the actual installation. I tried re-downloading the file but to no avail—the problem persisted.

However the installer file I found on the bonus DVD that came with a computer magazine worked flawlessly. That solved the problem for me.

— Olaf

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections