RV
Posted By
Robert_Van_Bodegon
Jun 8, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am a newbie to Photoshop Elements 3. And I have lots of questions. But, I will start with the one that goes most against my Hollander character. That is, why if most of the paper that is available is 81/2 X 11 that the Print Multiple Images selections do not include some print sizes that are multiples of 81/2 X 11? 41/4 X 35/8 would be nice.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

O
o3v3tz
Jun 8, 2005
Robert,

I can only guess that the historical reason for having page layouts that are primarily based on a usable paper area of 8 by 10 is that many printers have minimum margin requirements which result in 8 by 10 being the the maximum printable area.

However, borderless capable printers are becoming more common and I agree with you that Adobe should provide more layouts that support full use of the 8 1/2 by 11 paper.

In Elements 2, I did some custom Picture Package layouts to use on my Canon photo printer than can do borderless. However, these do not work on Elements 3.

Has anyone done the custom picture package layouts for Windows Elements 3?

Barb O
O
o3v3tz
Jun 8, 2005
Colin,

Understand that the paper sizes are different in different countries. I responded using the paper size referenced in the original post. But back to my question –

Have you done custom picture package layout process in Elements 3 for any size of paper?

Barb O
R
RobertHJones
Jun 8, 2005
Barb O,

Have you done custom picture package layout process in Elements 3 for any
size of paper?

I’ve used custom picture package layouts in the Windows version of PSE 3. In the windows version the picture package is part of the Organizer unlike the Mac version of PSE 3 where picture package is in the editor like PSE 2. The layout folders are in different locations for the two versions as well.

I don’t like the Organizer version of picture package and don’t use it any more, but I tested my custom layouts with it and they worked fine. The layout file specifications are identical across all versions of picture package including the Photoshop versions.

What kinds of problems are you having and are you using the Windows or the Mac version?

Bob
O
o3v3tz
Jun 8, 2005
Bob,

I am running Elements 3 Windows and I do use the Organizer on a regular basis for things other than printing. Sounds like you are saying that I was wrong in concluding that the Picture Package layouts of Elements 2 would not work "as is" in the Organizer of Elements 3. So I will look at that again.

However, I would really like to be able to print a custom picture package from the Editor in Elements 3. Sometimes printing from the Editor gives me better quality results than printing from the same photo file with the Organizer – I don’t know why but it works so why worry about it. My photo printer does borderless 4 by 6 paper, so that works OK. My dilemma is that sometimes I want to print 2 5×7 photos on 8 1/2 by 11 paper and I don’t want to make a canvas of multiple photo images just to position the 2 photos on the page for printing. However, that may be my alternative.

So if anyone has any better suggestions, I am interested. Thanks.

Barb O
BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 8, 2005
Once you get the hang of those "manual" picture packages, you might find they’re actually quicker to produce than ordering up a "fast" picture package. I learned to do it under PSE 1.0 (when there were few options), and I’ve never seen any need to change.
R
RobertHJones
Jun 9, 2005
Barb,

Since it’s been a while since I used the Windows PSE 3 Picture Package, I went back and did some testing to refresh my memory.

Most of my custom layouts are sized for an 8×10 printing area and show up in the layout dropdown list when the page setup was set to 8.5×11 letter. Those all work fine. I copied a few 8.5×11 layouts into the PSE 3 layout directory and those did not show up in the dropdown list.

After trying unsuccessfully to make them show up by changing the page setup, I decided to lie and changed the first line to indicate it was an 8×10 layout. That worked, the layouts now showed up in the drop down list. I got a message about the layout being too big for the selected page size and that it would be truncated to fit but it went ahead and laid out the package and I didn’t get image truncation with the layouts I tried. I was able to use the custom layouts without any significant problems. I did need to set the usual printer driver options for an edge to edge print but that’s not any different than I would have needed to do anyway.

Interestingly enough, the Photoshop CS picture package (which I believe is the same one as used in the Mac PSE 3 version) works properly and the original 8.5×11 custom layouts show up when an 8.5×11 paper size is selected. Evidently, the Windows PSE 3 picture package has a bug in it regarding the 8.5×11 header line in the package.

So, changing the custom layout header to 8×10 will give you a workaround but that still doesn’t address the issue of printing from the editor instead of the organizer. I’m with you on wanting to print from the editor. It’s too bad Adobe didn’t include the editor picture package in the Windows version.

Bob
RV
Robert_Van_Bodegon
Jun 9, 2005
Hey !! How come the forum listed my post as o3v3tz ??
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 9, 2005
How come the forum listed my post as o3v3tz ??

I’m not seeing that. All of the postings by that user are signed "Barb O" as I’d expect. Which post # are you referring to?
RV
Robert_Van_Bodegon
Jun 9, 2005
Robert Van Bodegon – 7:16am Jun 9, 05 PST (#8 of 9)
BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 9, 2005
I think you were looking in the wrong place and perhaps saw the name of the person to whose message you were replying. What, by now, is #8 of soon-to-be-11 is you asking why your forum post came out under o3v3tz.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections