M
Posted By
mikecr
Jun 5, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have seen duotone done with Photoshop CS and really liked what I seen.I cannot find the same controls in Elements.Is there same spot in elements 3 or does anybody know of a really good plugin that will do the same and have same control.I seen one plugin and looked very cheap with terrible controls.Thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MD
malcolm_denton
Jun 6, 2005
Have you checked out <http://hiddenelements.com/>.

Richard Lynch’s book contains a method for creating duotones in PSE3,but as I haven’t tried it I can’t comment on how easy it is. No doubt some other forum member will chip in with a comment about it.
M
mikecr
Jun 6, 2005
Thanks for reply.There are several ways to make the duotone look.I did make a mistake though,I re-read the magazine and the program was actually Photoshop 7,but I’m sure CS has it as well.I just really liked the look and function of the Duotone option in 7 and wondered if there was a plugin very similir.Thanks
PA
Patti Anderson
Jun 6, 2005
True duotones are a composite of two single color (monotone) images. Typically one is grayscale and one is a colored monotone. If sent to a pro print shop, the two images (the grayscale and the monotone color image) are printed one right on top of the other.

I’ve used Lynch’s method from his Hidden Power of Elements 2 book and technically, if you follow the steps exactly you are supposed to be able to print the grayscale image first and then put your paper back into your printer and print the monotone image right over it. I only tried it once and not with much success. I might have done something wrong, but it seemed way too complicated to me.

Here’s a thread where Mark Sands wrote of several other methods of simulating duotones, particularly sepia tones. You might like to play with these ideas and find your own favorite way: Mark Sand, "Blk/White to Sepia" #5, 17 Mar 2005 3:03 pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/4>

My favorite method is still using a gradient map adjustment layer with Multiply blend mode. I created a set of gradients to use just for this purpose. Links to these are also in the same thread. Click on Show All Messages to view the entire thread.

Patti

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections