Posted By
chrisbati
Sep 3, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

When I convert a CR2 file form camera raw 4.1 with CS3 and when I save it in JPEG, I lost all the exif information (only keep resolution information, size, color dpth, camera name and creation software).
This happen only when I use a CR2 file with camera raw and then open it in CS3. When I use an original JPEG file from my camera, I keep all information

Could someone Help Me ?

Thanks a lots in advance

Chrisbati

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RK
Rob_Keijzer
Sep 3, 2007
How do you save the file? Save As… or Save for web? The latter (SFW) intentionally strips metadata from the file.

Rob
C
chrisbati
Sep 4, 2007
Hi,

No, I only use save AS or save, never save for web.
When I convert a CR2 file, I save as JPEG or TIFF or BMP and I always lost the most important part of the exif.
When I use an original JPEG file I can save as JPEG or TIFF or BMP with all the exif information.

I don’t understand why this only happen with CR2.

Thanks for help
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Sep 4, 2007
Chris,

What if you convert your .CR2 and save as PSD? Is your EXIF data retained then?

And if it is retained, what if you then save as Jpeg?

What happens to IPTC data (if added)?

Rob
C
chrisbati
Sep 5, 2007
Hi Rob,
thanks for your response.
In fact, maybe I have to be more precise.
When I go into the Information menu in CS3, I have all the information I need about exif. It’s when I save on disk the JPEG file AND I go to windows explorer to right clic on the jpeg file the properties. There, I have only a few exif information.
When I use an original JPEG file made by the camera, I modify in CS3, save in CS3. I go to windows explorer, right clicl on this jpeg file, there I have all the exif information. Why can’t I see these exif information of a JPEG file coming from a CR2 file ? (or why can I see these informations with an original jpeg file ?).
Thanks in advance.
Chrisbati
C
chrisbati
Sep 6, 2007
Hi,

I just find out what’s the matter.
In fact all goes OK with CS2.
I try again with CS3, no way, no complete exif on jpeg (via win xp explorer then properties). I send the jpeg file on a pc with vista then explorer properties, detail and I have all the exif !!! It’s the same jpeg file I use on win xp !
I can say that the matter is between CS3 and XP.
What Can I do now ?? Is adobe or microsoft aware of that ?
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Sep 7, 2007
The XP explorer, obviously, is not capable of reading some of the metadata that is included by CS3 — perhaps CS3 includes the relevant information in XMP format instead of in standard EXIF or TIFF tags.
C
chrisbati
Sep 7, 2007
Thanks Michael for your response.
Is there any solution for the future ?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections