IPhotoshop – Definitely for Commercial Use?

LM
Posted By
Leia_Manuel
Sep 2, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Am thinking about using Photoshop CS3 to produce CD artwork for an album of original music I will be copyrighting and selling. I know many image editing and desktop publishing programs are for home use only (resulting artwork cannot be sold). Can Photoshop legally be used for commercial purposes?

Thanks,
Leia

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Sep 2, 2007
Yes, absolutely. Even the educational-price version (which is the same as the full-price version, for persons who qualify) can be used for commercial work.
P
Phosphor
Sep 2, 2007
Photoshop is used in virtually every commercial, professional publication on the planet. If not by the publication’s producers, then by people who work in consort with them creating visual content.
JJ
John_Joslin
Sep 2, 2007
Did you think it was just a toy? 🙁
JW
John_Waller
Sep 2, 2007
Identical question in relation to Illustrator — almost word for word — in the Illustrator forum?

Regards

John Waller
DM
Don_McCahill
Sep 2, 2007
Can Photoshop legally be used for commercial purposes?

Yes, as others have said. But be sure that all the images that you use within Photoshop are valid copy. Nothing "borrowed" from the web or scanned from other sources. In almost all cases, there will be copyright infringements if you use material from other sources, unless you have written permissions, no matter how much you manipulate or add elements to that work in Photoshop.
AC
Art Campbell
Sep 2, 2007
Actually, I think the more interesting answer is to "What program can’t be used to produce something for commercial sale?"

I confess to not reading the EULA for all programs I have, but where would the idea come from? Anyone familiar with a program (aside from privately developed ones) that has that kind of limitation?

Art
JJ
John_Joslin
Sep 2, 2007
"What program can’t be used to produce something for commercial sale?"

Some educational versions (not Adobe).
B
Buko
Sep 2, 2007
Photoshop should be used for the imagery but the layouts should be done in InDesign Type in Photoshop is not the best use of Photoshop.
T
TerryKing
Sep 2, 2007
On Sep 2, 11:01 pm, wrote:
Photoshop should be used for the imagery but the layouts should be done in InDesign Type in Photoshop is not the best use of Photoshop.

This is especially true, in my experience, when doing those CD inserts or back covers with lots of small light/white characters on a dark background. Type is much easier managed (and edited/changed) in InDesign.

Also, make sure you check with your printer / prepress guys on smallest while-on-dark type (and recommended typefaces) that they recommend.

Even big-label CDs have some poor typography/prepress/printing if you look closely, especially low-art-budget ‘best-of’ CDs.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections