Posted By
Dave_Pass
Sep 1, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Greetings,

I am about to do some reconfiguring of my system so I figured I’d find the best way to optimize for Photoshop.

I currently have Windows (and page file), Photoshop (and all other apps) and data on my C: drive (7200 RPM – 80 gigs of free space). My D: drive is a separate physical drive (not a partition) with 45 gigs of free space. I store photos and music here and use it as my Photoshop Scratch disk.

I am buying a new 500 gb USB drive to use as storage (for things like photos and music) and backup. All of the contents of the D: drive will be moving to the new drive thus leaving me with 80 gb of free space on the D: drive.

My questions:

1. Should I continue to run Photoshop on the same drive as my OS?

2. I plan to move my ‘data’ (files I edit with Photoshop or Illustrator etc.) to my D: drive. Is this OK or should it be on the same drive Photoshop is on?

3. Assuming I move my data to my D: drive… I read that Photoshop berforms best when its Scratch Disk is an empty, unfragmented disk with plenty of room. Since I do not have an empty hard drive to spare, which will yield better performance:

A. Partition my D: drive (which will leave me with D: and E:). Use D: for my .PSD and .AI files. Use E: as my Photoshop Scratch Disk

or

B. no partition. Use D: for my .PSD and .AI files as well as for my Potoshop Scratch Disk

Any wisdom anyone has to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-dave

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JJ
John_Joslin
Sep 1, 2007

1. Should I continue to run Photoshop on the same drive as my OS?

Yes

2. I plan to move my ‘data’ (files I edit with Photoshop or Illustrator etc.) to my D: drive. Is this OK or should it be on the same drive Photoshop is on?

It is OK – no need to be on the same drive (just not on a network).

3. Assuming I move my data to my D: drive… I read that Photoshop berforms best when its Scratch Disk is an empty, unfragmented disk with plenty of room.

This is true but, in my experience Photoshop Scratch can be on the vacant part of a data drive (you can partition if you want). Just don’t have it on the same drive as the Windows Page File.

External drives are not good for Photoshop Scratch.

(Don’t forget you can nominate more than one scratch disk.)

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections