MT
Posted By
Mandy_Tredoux
Jun 2, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I tagged and organised all my photos in PSE3 from folders in "My Pictures" on my computer and now when I edit photos in Editor I cannot see the edited version at all in Elements/Organizer. When I have finished editing a picture it asks me if I want to save and the include in organizer box at the bottom is ticked but it isn’t showing ? When I go into the folders from Windows explorer the file is saved in the original folder as a pdf file but explorer is not seeing it. Is there a reason for this. The photos that I imported from my camera card using Photoshop seem to be okay it is all the photos that were previously imported before I had Elements 3. Am I doing something silly ? Should I perhaps move my files ?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CW
Colin Walls
Jun 2, 2005
What format of files are you dealing with? You mentioned PDF, which confused/alarmed me.
MT
Mandy_Tredoux
Jun 2, 2005
Mostly jpg files, I have a couple of RAW (CR2) files which I have taken with my EOS 20D – (they didn’t seem to be a problem and some were originaly imported by Paint Shop Pro), sorry I meant PSD – the format photoshop saves the edited version in. I since tried again and noticed that if I save it with the version box ticked it saves it with the original in Organizer but if I tick the as a copy box it only saves it to original file and not in the Organizer (have ticked include in Organizer). I am relatively new to all of this so I could be doing something wrong or missing something. I re-organized all my files into folders using Windows Explorer before tagging and catagorizing them in elements 3. I also read that I should have uninstalled Elements 2 before Installing Elements 3 (as I had problems with elements 3 freezing when trying to find files) which I didn’t do to start with so I uninstalled 3 then 2 and reinstalled 3 again. I haven’t had any freezing problems since but now this problem arised. I haven’t had a problem before this is the first time and I have edited before and all was fine. I am in the process of doing a backup as I read on the forum that I must try and refresh my files or something to that effect. Ta Mandy
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 2, 2005
I have to say that I am unsure how the link between Editor and Organizer works with Save As Copy. I would have expected it to appear as a "new" image, if the include in Org option was checked. 99.9% of the time, you don’t need to use Save As Copy, just close the image and it will do a Save As automatically and the image will be included in the version set. If you want to create a new variant of an image, I woul dsuggest duplicating it in Organizer before doing the edit. That is a "cleaner" workflow.

[Nice to see the word "ta" in this forum. Americans don’t seem to understand/use it and Brits tend to be more formal. :-)]
MT
Mandy_Tredoux
Jun 2, 2005
Hello again
I do normally just close the image but as it wasn’t seeing the new image I tried to save with "as copy" ticked to see if it would make a difference with Organizer seeing it. The only time Organizer seems to recognise any of the edited files is if it is in a version file. I can retrieve the file in Editor by using "file open" and going to "my pictures, and work on it but Organizer wont see that particular file at all, I have even tried saving it with a new name but when I go to Photo Browser and look for it there is still no thumbnail. If I try and import the edited file into my catalogue it tells me the file already exists in the catalogue but I cannot find it and there is no thumbnail so I cannot even tag it. I have tried a few different photos and edited them with layers etc and it will only see the edited file if it is part of a version but wont see a stand alone edited file if that makes any sense. When I worked on PSE2 it would automatically save an edited file as a new image (one of the things that frustrated me as you had all these duplications) and I always saw it in Photoshop Album, does PSE3 work differently ?I realy appreciate your patience and hope you are understanding the waffle.
As far as the "Ta" goes I am an "informal" Brit living in South Africa.
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 2, 2005
does PSE3 work differently ?

The key thing is version sets. Are you familiar with how they work?
MT
Mandy_Tredoux
Jun 2, 2005
Yes I am familiar with them, they save edited versions of your photo together in one file, are you suggesting I just use this method for editing ? If I only want to save my edited version of the photo do I just delete the rest of the images in the version set or is there any other way I can save them as separate images and have them tagged and catalogued as separate images ? Is there any way I can get my existing edited files into my catalogue or do I have to re-edit the originals and save that as a version set – surely this doesn’t solve the problem of my organizer not creating thumbnails of files it indicates are already in the catalogue and how come it indicates they are already in the catalogue when I cant see them ?
I could work around this and only use version sets but I would still like to understand why this is happening.
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 2, 2005
You have the choice to use version sets or keep the new versions as separate images.

With older mages, where you have an edited version, you cannot [easily] create version sets by hand. Stacks are handy way to bring them together.

Have you done a catalog recover?
MT
Mandy_Tredoux
Jun 2, 2005
Yes I have done a catalog recover and it still will not see them.

How can I have the choice of keeping new versions as separate images if the catalog wont see them. As I asked previously do you know why is it telling me that those images already exist in the catalog when they don’t or at least I cant see them ? Is this a common problem with PSE3 and not something I am doing wrong ?
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 2, 2005
Is this a common problem with PSE3 and not something I am doing wrong?

I don’t think I’ve heard of this [after a catalog recover] except when operator error is the cause. Let’s be sure: you don’t have any collection or tags selected do you?
MT
Mandy_Tredoux
Jun 2, 2005
I am not sure what you mean by do I have any collection or tags selected, you mean when I did a catalog recover ?

I have in the meantime worked out how to get the thumbnails back into the catalog. I have gone into the file properties in Windows and renamed the file and made sure that the option to open it with is Photoshop elements 3 (Organiser) and not just Photoshop elements 3, Then when I double click on the image to open it, it goes straight to Organiser and tells me there is a new file in watched folders and imports it as a new file and this way I have got it into the Organiser and tagged it – PERFECT ! If I try to open the old file without renaming it, it still tells me it is already in the catalog which it isn’t (or it is in a file that only it knows about. I am wondering if for some reason a couple of files got mixed up and set the edited file to be opened with Elements and not the Oraniser (perhaps this is why I could open the file in Editor and not Photo Browser ?). I dont know, at least if it happens again I can get it into the Organiser by renaming and changing the "open with" option, it doesn’t work if you just change the "open with" option – you have to change the name of the file as well.
Thanks for your help and input, if it keeps happening when I edit you will be sure to hear from me again. Oh I did have one more question. In Photoshop Album 2 I used templates in creation – just books – which printed 4 photos per page and they fitted perfectly on an A4 page (4 X 6" x 4" size photos. In Elements 3 books template you cannot seem to print 4 6" X 4" photos on a page as it always puts a white border in between the photos so you can never fit them close together. I think the page size for the books in Elements 3 is also smaller than the templates I am talking about – I noticed the filename for the templates in album 2 were MyPublisher templates – is it possible to download these to Elements 3 ?
Cheerio for now.
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 2, 2005
I got a bit winded reading all that … 🙂

I think I got th emessage that you’re sort of OK now. Right?

I don’t think I can really help with the photo book query, as I have very little experience there. I think this all got reworked in PSE 3. Sorry.
MT
Mandy_Tredoux
Jun 2, 2005
Yes, thanks very much for your help Colin. Sorry, I know I do carry on a bit dont I. I’m sure you will hear from me again soon and I will try and keep it short next time. (I dont know how to attach that little face – so smiley face to you)
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 2, 2005
I do smile a lot of time… Really!

Do come back if we can help more.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections