O.T. Playing with my macro lense today I cought this…

RR
Posted By
Raymond Robillard
Jun 2, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
http://www.pbase.com/carbone/image/44191966

It’s not sharp because I had a tough time holding the camera still, so I couldn’t choose a speed that would suit the picture.

When you these little buggers are about 3 mm long, it’s amazing how big it can look with a macro lens! (3mm = 1/8 of an inch, I think).

Ray

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JC
Jane Carter
Jun 2, 2005
Hi Ray, Youve got a great close up of a tick. Arachnid. Bad things. We have dog ticks, wood ticks, and a few others, but the Deer Tick is the scourge of Cape Cod and many other areas. This is not a deer tick,
<http://www.pbase.com/jcarter/image/2530832>
I shall not get too far OT here, but many of us here including my husband have Lyme disease. It is carried by the Deer Tick, and the vector is Deer.
Wonder why we try to get rid of them from our neighbourhoods? Not nice to be on antibiotics for years. But thats the only way out if you have Lyme.

My husband’s doctor is a research person in this specialty. Ive been in the study for the experimental inoculation for this, but it was taken off the market for humans. The inoculation for dogs is still in use, about 80% effective with almost no side effects.
I must stop here, as we have tons of information. See todays Boston Globe for a good informative quick reading article on Lyme.
Jane
PA
Patti Anderson
Jun 2, 2005
They’re called chiggers and they bite only in their larval stage (only 6 legs in the larval stage) and then they can make nice red itchy spots. They are arachnids, but they do not carry diseases like the Deer tick.

Patti

Edit: Forgot to add…Nice shot, Ray! Bet they are hard to get a photo of because they are always on the move.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 2, 2005
As far as I can tell, from what I know, these are red spiders (probably not the right name). They live and eat plants (indoor and outdoor types). We bought new plants for the season and discovered them today (as I was shooting).

I know about Lyme disease Jane. I’m sorry to hear that your husband is affected by it 🙁

Also, the problem is that I wasn’t prepared to shoot a moving object. There was zero wind today, and the sun was about to get very low (just high enough for the flowers, but not for the pots), and I didn’t carry my tripod. Otherwise, all would have been in focus.

Ray
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 2, 2005
Ray

Red Spider Mites are usually a bit smaller than what you describe being about 1 mm. But if they arrived with plants I would suspect that is what they are. They are really romantic devils and 2 of them can produce over 10,000 in 2 months. Out doors you can get rid of them with a aggressive spray of water. Indoors dunking or bathing the plant in soapy water will do the job. Good luck in getting rid of the blighters.

Lyme Disease I believe is transmitted by Black Leg Ticks.

Grant
JC
Jane Carter
Jun 2, 2005
Here they are,
<http://www.lymenet.org/picture1.shtml>
But I am very glad to say, that we have seen very few this year, and we have avoided biking and walking in the woods closer to where the deer are. And we have clipped our dog’s fur rather short.
Also glad that the Boston Globe is spreading the news, as it is astonishing to see how many people have it and are still suffering.
Jane

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections