IA
Posted By
i_am_jim
Aug 31, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
An organization I take pictures for wants to put one them in a Word document that will be printed, and also converted to a PDF file for viewing/downloading on he web.

I sized the image for the location in Word they are putting it and made it 300ppi since they’re going to print it. It looks very bad when viewed in Word. A check revealed Word resized it to this tiny space, so it also looks bad in the PDF.

By resized it I mean resolution. It remains 100 % – the size in inches I made it. Word left these printing dimensions and resampled it to a MUCH smaller resolution (pixel dimensions).

So, how does one size an image for printing in word and subsequent viewing in a PDF?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
Phosphor
Aug 31, 2007
Oy vey…
IA
i_am_jim
Aug 31, 2007
On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 09:12:40 -0700, "Phos…. ICTIOF–FLANG BLAMMIT!" wrote:

Oy vey

Not very helpful.
JJ
John_Joslin
Aug 31, 2007
I was about to answer but then I realised I couldn’t understand your post.

I sized the image for the location in Word they are putting it and made it 300ppi since they’re going to print it. It looks very bad when viewed in Word.

Did you size it to the inches it will appear on the page?

And did it also look bad when printed from Word?

it also looks bad in the PDF

How did you create the PDF?
IA
i_am_jim
Aug 31, 2007
On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 09:24:22 -0700, wrote:

I was about to answer but then I realised I couldn’t understand your post.
I sized the image for the location in Word they are putting it and made it 300ppi since they’re going to print it. It looks very bad when viewed in Word.

Did you size it to the inches it will appear on the page?

Yes.

And did it also look bad when printed from Word?

I don’t know, I only viewed it in word.

it also looks bad in the PDF

How did you create the PDF?

I didn’t. They did. I didn’t know there were bad ways to create PDFs, but I can look into how it was done.
JO
Jim_Oblak
Aug 31, 2007
Word left these printing dimensions and resampled it to a MUCH smaller resolution (pixel dimensions).

Is the answer not hitting you hard enough on the head?

‘Oy vey’ is quite helpful.

Try using something other than Word.

Here’s some more reading:
< http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=33 0729&sliceId=2> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/904948>
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320314>

I suspect that an older version of Word is in use.
P
Phosphor
Aug 31, 2007
And we’re not being snobby at all.

It’s just that we know there are far better tools to use for layout and publishing than MS Turd.

"That organization" needs to realize this as well, if they want to continue their printing pursuits with any sort of professionalism and efficiency.
IA
i_am_jim
Aug 31, 2007
On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 11:08:51 -0700, "Phos…. ICTIOF–FLANG BLAMMIT!" wrote:

And we’re not being snobby at all.

It’s just that we know there are far better tools to use for layout and publishing than MS Turd.
"That organization" needs to realize this as well, if they want to continue their printing pursuits with any sort of professionalism and efficiency.

I know. That’s why I have no experience using Word for this sort of thing. But, it’s a group who only recently moved away from physical pasteup. Small steps . . .
IA
i_am_jim
Aug 31, 2007
Thanks for all the help.
JJ
John_Joslin
Aug 31, 2007
Oh come on you experts!

I know Word is a pretty poor alternative to proper DTP programs, but "organisation" can mean anything from a multinational corporation to a local skeet shooting club. And some of these skeet shooting clubs don’t have anything else or, if they do, they can’t use it.

Where I live, here in the sticks, for many clubs and organisations it has to be Word if they want any control.

2ยข
P
Phosphor
Aug 31, 2007
eff-word.
JO
Jim_Oblak
Aug 31, 2007
There are alternatives to Word. They can be free too.

<http://www.scribus.net/>
< http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/software/PagePlus/default.a sp>
JJ
John_Joslin
Aug 31, 2007
I yes I tried Serif software once, years ago. Nothing wrong with it.

Please realise, I’m not advocating the use of Word; in some situations you have to bow to the inevitable.
SK
Scott_Koblich
Aug 31, 2007
If the group has only just moved from physical pasteup, then all the more reason to get them into an actual layout program now rather than learning the headaches of word.
LR
Linda_Rathgeber
Aug 31, 2007
wrote:
An organization I take pictures for wants to put one them in a Word document that will be printed, and also converted to a PDF file for viewing/downloading on he web.

I sized the image for the location in Word they are putting it and made it 300ppi

Try 96 PPI for Word.

Linda R.
I
ID._Awe
Sep 1, 2007
Um, why don’t they just import the PDF into Word?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections