ML
Posted By
Mel_Lewis
Jun 1, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I understand that Photoshop has a fade option to soften color. Does anyone know if this can be accomplished on Elements?
Thanks,
Mel Lewis

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CW
Colin Walls
Jun 1, 2005
There is a Fade command in PS, but that has nothing to do with "softening" colour [whatever that actually means].

What do you actually want to achieve?

Do you mean desaturate colour? If so, there is a command to do this and an adjustment layer [Hue and Saturation].
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 1, 2005
As Colin said, the Fade command has nothing to directly with softening color. To simulate fading in PE, make an adjustment on a duplicate layer and reduce the opacity till the effect reaches the level you want. If necessary change the blend mode of the new layer.
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 1, 2005
Barbara

IMHO that method is actually better than the Fade command – more forgiving.

But I’m not sure that the OP is really after this at all.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 1, 2005
But I’m not sure that the OP is really after this at all.

Yes, I wonder, too. Mel, can you explain what you want to do?
ML
Mel_Lewis
Jun 2, 2005
I haven’t been very clear in my description of my problem. To be more more precise here is what I am doing. I am working on a series of indoor photos that exhibit a definate yellow-orangish color cast. To correct this problem, I used Kodak’s plug in, Professsional ROC. What this plug in does is automatically restore the proper color balance of photos. And in the main it works wonderfully; however, some of the adjusted photos are too "bright" overall. What I would like to do is tone down some of the excess brightness. This is the problem and I don’t know how to go about correcting it, hence my vague reference to a "fade" option. Any suggestions as to how I should proceeed would be appreciated.

Mel Lewis
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 2, 2005
I woul dsuggest that you add Levels and/or Hue&Sat adjustment layers and play with the settings. If you want to post an example somewhere [http://www.pixentral.com perhaps], I could be more specific.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections