GB
Posted By
George_Beebe
Jun 1, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I will post this for the third time is hopes that someone can enlighten me.

After working to have all files, devices and screen use the same color gamut profile with very satisfactory results, I am left with the PSE 2 program indicating that a file being opened does not have the same profile as the current RGB working space.

How does one change the default working color space in PSE 2?

I have a iMac running OS X 10.2.8 with Epson 1670 scanner and Epson C84 printer. I am set on full color management in PSE 2 and use Mac ColorSync through out the process.

Thanks

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 1, 2005
If you are set to full color management, you are working in the Adobe RGB space. Most likely, your camera takes pictures in the sRGB space if you are getting this error. The solution is to switch either to No Color Management or to Limited Color Management in the PE color settings.
GB
George_Beebe
Jun 1, 2005
Barbara,
I have all devices and screen set to sRGB IEC 61966-2.1 color gamut and was hoping to set the default in PSE 2 to the same. From what you said, it seems this is not a possibility. ;-(

Thanks for your comeback.
George
BB
brent bertram
Jun 1, 2005
"I have all devices and screen set to sRGB IEC 61966-2.1 color gamut and was hoping to set the default in PSE 2 to the same."

George,
Set the Elements Color Preferences to Limited Color Management, that works in the sRGB colorspace.

🙂

Brent
R
RobertHJones
Jun 1, 2005
George,

To set the default color space to sRGB, simply set the color option to "Limited" instead of "Full" color management.

The default color space is determined by the color management setting. "Full" sets it to Adobe RGB, "Limited" sets it to sRGB. And, "NO" defaults
to the system monitor profile which should be close to sRGB but is not identical to sRGB.

"Full" honors and preserves any color space embedded in your files, the other two settings do not. Thats not a problem if you work exclusively in sRGB.

Because it honors the color space embedded in the file, "Full" color management will display the popup asking what profile you wish to used if there is no embedded profile in the image file. If there is an embedded profile, "Full" will use that and not display the popup. However, the title bar will display an indicator (an *) to show that the image color space is not the same as the default. This does not mean, however, that you are working in the default space — you will be working in the image color space and this is just a warning that you aren’t using Adobe RGB. That is not an error.

Bob
GB
George_Beebe
Jun 1, 2005
Bob and Brent,
I do believe that I have it. 😉
Using Limited eliminated the popup menu.
Thanks to all

George
R
RobertHJones
Jun 1, 2005
George,

One more comment, this one in regards to the screen profile. You said: "I have all devices and screen set to sRGB IEC 61966-2.1 color gamut".

If you have set your monitor to sRGB IEC 61966-2.1 you need to rethink that. Monitor color spaces are close to sRGB but not exact. If you manually set the profile to sRGB IEC 61966-2.1 you will be off. Maybe a little, maybe a lot — depends on the characteristics of your specific monitor. You need to calibrate your monitor and use the calibrated profile. Or, if you have an LCD monitor and no hardware calibration device, try the monitor profile provided by the manufacturer. Hopefully you have done this and were just being imprecise with your description. Likewise, you don’t assign sRGB IEC 61966-2.1 to the printer. Each device should have it’s own specific profile.

Bob
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 1, 2005
Yes, Bob is right about that. Go to system prefs>displays and calibrate your monitor from its own profile in the list. Save and name the profile.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections